What would you do differently?

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, chloe_zara said:

I think I may hit up Poundland and Primark for lots of cheap household items, plugs and lots and lots of hair ties my little girls go threw them by the hundreds

How much does vitamins cost... I take 5 different types and get them so cheap in savers should I stock up?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

@chloe_zara have a look at chemist warehouse for vitamins https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/home.aspx

Guest The Pom Queen
On 31/03/2017 at 7:42 AM, Keith and Linda said:

No way would I bring any pets out here, personally I think its cruel to put them through such a journey and I believe people do it more for their own sake rather than the pets.

This is something that I can't agree with you on, sorry Keith. A lot of people can't have children or even if they can they look at their pets as part of the family. If quarantine was still 6 months then I would agree but the animals don't stress on the flight but usually fall asleep, then the ten days in quarantine is no different to boarding kennels. Obviously if people are willing to spend thousands shipping their pets it means they love them to the moon and back. Who knows what would happen if they got left behind, they could be past from one owner to another or even end up in a shelter.

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Keith and Linda said:

No way would I bring any pets out here, personally I think its cruel to put them through such a journey and I believe people do it more for their own sake rather than the pets.

I can reassure you my two dogs who had a six hour delay were in a far better state than I was after the flight. 

11 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I can reassure you my two dogs who had a six hour delay were in a far better state than I was after the flight. 

I agree with you they are better cared for than us in Economy having done this 4 times Australia to the UK none of my dog's suffered. People have to realise that there pets are family would you leave a family member behind because they had to do some travelling, lets fact it babies on planes don't do to good but you wouldn't leave them behind would you. For us to be told we are being cruel is to be honest I find a disgusting comment and quite hurtful I love my little dog and would NEVER do anything that would hurt her or anyone but I think I could make an exception to these people and just walk on the other side of the road for your ignorance.

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:23 AM, The Pom Queen said:

This is something that I can't agree with you on, sorry Keith. A lot of people can't have children or even if they can they look at their pets as part of the family. If quarantine was still 6 months then I would agree but the animals don't stress on the flight but usually fall asleep, then the ten days in quarantine is no different to boarding kennels. Obviously if people are willing to spend thousands shipping their pets it means they love them to the moon and back. Who knows what would happen if they got left behind, they could be past from one owner to another or even end up in a shelter.

14 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

They could also end up somewhere even better then you were giving them!

Also it is not just the travel element its the climate and environment they are coming to.

The Humane Society of the United States recommends avoiding air travel if possible.[7] Extreme temperatures and thin air have extra risk for brachycephalic animals such as bulldogs, Pekingese dogs, pugs and Persian cats.[7][8]Department of Transportation Air Travel Reports recorded 302 deaths, injuries and disappearances over 6 years with 35 deaths in 2011.[9][10] Two dogs died in as many months on United Airlines flights in 2012

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, Keith and Linda said:

I agree if you were looking at moving a brachy dog to North Australia, but when you look at the stats and the amount of animals that fly deaths are only a small percentage and from them how many died because of the flight itself? 

I don't think that there is anything specifically that I wish we had/hadn't brought with us, but I do wish we'd been more ruthless in sorting out and hadn't brought so much junk!  I also wish we'd not hoarded so much stuff here, just case we had a future use for it.  We are making the move back to the UK, and I have given, sold or thrown away so much stuff over the past few months.  I had two pushchairs that I was keeping, just in case - our kids are 9 and 11 and we don't want any more!  I had two suitcases full of baby clothes and washable nappies, a cot, a rocking chair, boxes of really bad photos, from back in the day when you got the whole film printed, even if half of them were blank, a box of random birthday cards and old letters from pen friends I no longer have, and so much more that I just can't remember!  We brought most of this stuff with us, and it has just sat in boxes in the garage, in the attic or in suitcases in the wardrobes.  I am determined that we are going to go back with less than we came with!

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, pommysheila said:

I agree with you they are better cared for than us in Economy having done this 4 times Australia to the UK none of my dog's suffered. People have to realise that there pets are family would you leave a family member behind because they had to do some travelling, lets fact it babies on planes don't do to good but you wouldn't leave them behind would you. For us to be told we are being cruel is to be honest I find a disgusting comment and quite hurtful I love my little dog and would NEVER do anything that would hurt her or anyone but I think I could make an exception to these people and just walk on the other side of the road for your ignorance.

No ignorance on my part just experience and I stand by my opinion that most ship there pets for selfish reasons

Guest The Pom Queen

Everyone does what they think is the best for their pets, for some it will be taking them along for,others it is leaving them behind. At the end of the day we all agree on one thing and that is we love our pets so please let's get back to the thread topic and not get personal.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, Keith and Linda said:

We brought just about everything, except for the things which were due for renewal like TV, Fridge and dryer and no way would the hover mower have coped out here. Then when every thing arrives here in OZ it is like the best Christmas ever unpacking. However and without any doubt it made our house our home again.

I agree, having some familiar things around you can help with the process of settling (IMHO), it was particularly good for the kids

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:42 AM, Keith and Linda said:

We brought our cat .. yes for ours and the kids sake, as my husband commented, we'd had her longer than the kids and she was part of our family.  We did however, take her to the vet as she was 14/15 years old, had the vet said it wasn't in her best interest we wouldn't have brought her (the in-laws had offered to have her).  The vet said that there was no reason for her not to travel and reassured us regarding the journey.  He pet carrier for the airline had much more space and height than the carrier we used, there was water/food.  She was in quarantine for a month here in Perth and she was in perfect condition on her arrival and when she left.

We don't think we were cruel and got to enjoy another 6 years with our beloved pet.

• Like 4

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:18 PM, chloe_zara said:

I think I may hit up Poundland and Primark for lots of cheap household items, plugs and lots and lots of hair ties my little girls go threw them by the hundreds

How much does vitamins cost... I take 5 different types and get them so cheap in savers should I stock up?

I wouldn't bother with the plugs - they're different in Aus

I have pondered this question on and off since its been posted. In all honesty, I'd not do much different if we were moving over again.

I'm happy with how we went about things prior to leaving, what we chose to ship, leave and sell, when we left and all that and also what we did once we arrived. Well, apart from spending 7 months after we arrived living in a rumpus room out the back... I'd have liked to have done less time sleeping out there but it got us to the point where we could buy a house and so it was well worth the inconvenience. Buying 7 months in was hard going as it meant we had to be working, saving lots and so on and it hadn't been our goal when we arrived but when we realised it could be a possible, we decided to go all out to try to achieve it. Before we moved over we had been planning on renting somewhere for a year or two then looking to buy but made changes as we needed once here.

Things I'd suggest before leaving. To do, to think about, to prepare for...

Don't bother spending time with people you are not that close to or travelling to see people you've not seen in ages (unless they are lifelong friends and its a really worthwhile friendship). Put your time, energy and cash into spending time with the people who really matter and doing your bucket list of things in the UK if you can manage some or all of it (we did about 3/4's of our list in the year or so leading up to our move and our visits back we've done the other things). Don't expect to have much (or any real) contact with at least 50% of the people who say loudly that they'll be sure to keep in touch and hopefully visit too. FB likes and the odd comment on a post by you might be all it comes to, if that once 6 months or a year has passed. 

Declutter as much as possible. Its amazing how once here, you collect clutter like its going out of fashion and are soon struggling to find space in drawers, cupboards and so on all over again. 

Sort out your wardrobe and recycle/sell stuff you've not worn in ages or ever. If you don't do it before you move, do it when you arrive as Aussies love a bargain and buy and sell pages can be a great way to shift stuff for a bit of spending money. 

Prepare yourself for how emotional it may be on you when the time comes to actually leaving. Work through it in your mind in advance perhaps, acknowledge it may happen and hit you hard. Consider not having the big emotional airport good byes with family and loved ones. Its often horrible for everyone involved and in many ways I think its much better to see them all a day or two before and have time together and then it be more of a 'see you later' thing than a bit gooooooooodbyyeeeeeeeee weep fest. Focus on the positives and try not to have it be a sad day. I'm all for rocking up to the airport only with those who are going with me and it being a step forward and not having the looking back over your shoulder seeing everyone in floods of tears so you end up blubbing too. Why people insist on putting themselves through this I don't know and if its because the family staying behind want it, I'd still say to do otherwise and say your goodbyes elsewhere in advance. 

Stocking up. Unless it really cannot be bought in Australia or is going to be stupidly expensive, I'd say not to bother. Again, spend time with people and do things you won't be able to do once in Aus. Spending time in Tesco or Asda might be on your list however so in that case, go for it but IMHO, those 5 extra bottles of shampoo and tubes of hand cream are really not worth it to ship. I spent a morning wandering my local shops in the days after we arrived in Aus and lo, found every single thing I used back in the UK in the stores here (and didn't have to wait 10 weeks for it to arrive in the shipping container either). And some new stuff too. It was nice to be able to get out, explore and see what was on offer. And if I hadn't found my brand of shampoo I'd have tried another. 

Stop and enjoy the sunsets, the sun rises, the moon and stars in the sky, the horizon, the nature, the view. Savour them and embrace them. You'll have lots of new things to explore once in Australia but make the most of the nature around you and what you are leaving behind. 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, pommysheila said:

Well if you are speaking from experience you must have been one of the SELFISH ONES  >:(

So let me ask you and Kate this........if you are given a pet would you love and care for it? I guess the answer would be yes? therefor how can it be said that the pet is not going to a loving and caring home? the selfishness is believing that no one else could possibly love and care for your pet more than you do!

My experience was choosing not to bring our beloved dog, we thought it best not to put him through the trauma of a flight and the hot climate he would be coming to and not the selfish "we love him how could we leave him". In the end the milkman took him (both he and the dog always had time for each other) also the milkman had a small holding which suited our Border collie a lot better than our detached house and garden did.

I'd have researched buying a used car a bit more in the UK before arriving as it really eats into your time here if you don't know what you are after and money is a bit tight - the models and popular makes are very different here.

I'd also buy a years worth of Birthday, Christmas cards etc as there is so much more choice in the UK and they are a lot cheaper - and Mother's Day is on the wrong date!

I bought some bedding but no duvet to find out that their duvets are much longer than ours, so there is always a large 'roll' now at the top of the bed! So probably bring both or neither. 

And if you want a fast spin front load washing machine, bring it from the UK (new) if you can as a 1400rpm Bosch will cost a fortune over here. 

And if you are heading for the likes of Melbourne, don't be fooled to think its much warmer than the UK - with single glazing and split system heating, I wish I'd bought more layers from the UK now - 14 degrees feels more like 5 degrees today.

And be prepared for a tough time getting a job. I thought it would be difficult, but even then its been a lot worse than I thought. It feels as competitive as the UK recession - especially when you've got Turnbull saying 'Australian jobs for Australian workers'. Wasn't prepared for such setbacks.

Edited by elderberry
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, elderberry said:

I'd also buy a years worth of Birthday, Christmas cards etc as there is so much more choice in the UK and they are a lot cheaper - and Mother's Day is on the wrong date!

I bought some bedding but no duvet to find out that their duvets are much longer than ours, so there is always a large 'roll' now at the top of the bed! So probably bring both or neither. 

Mother's day is on the right date for Australia ;) And most other countries in the world that celebrate it usually do so on the same date as Aus. Its only the UK, Ireland and one or two other places that celebrate it that fourth Sunday in Lent. 

I've found you can buy Mother's day cards all year round in most card shops and have never had a problem being able to send one to the UK in time for Mother's day there. Or I just buy a couple when they are in the shops in April here in Aus and hold on to them to send the following UK Mother's Day. 

Re cards, Hallmark cards are pricey wherever in the world you buy them I find. I've found lots of cheaper options for birthdays and other occasions when needed here. Either Kmart, Target or some such or shops in malls where they have a dollar stand. 

Don't send Christmas cards so not on my radar. I know you can buy cheap bulk buys from Target etc and in supermarkets. I prefer to donate the cash to charity instead these days though :) 

1 minute ago, snifter said:

Mother's day is on the right date for Australia ;) And most other countries in the world that celebrate it usually do so on the same date as Aus. Its only the UK, Ireland and one or two other places that celebrate it that fourth Sunday in Lent. 

I guess I just like sending quality cards ;) It's only the right date if your mother isn't in UK, Ireland or the one of two other places. Without the reminders here, I totally forgot or else moonpig would have been an option! There don't seem to be any Card Factories, Clintons, Hall of Cards etc here, miss that compared to UK for range and simplicity. Supermarket range is not fantastic.

For us I would say don't rush things. Moved over to oz loved it, has its faults but was loving life. Bought house as hated renting, good job etc great. Then hubby had to give up job due to depression. Downward spiral began, eventually got another job but for less money and stress, I had started own business so I was trapped there and not earning. Finances became horrendous couldn't afford to carry on with the house had to sell quickly before taken from us, as first time buyers purchased the insurance meaning spent more than got back. Came to a head when sold house left with nothing so sold furniture etc moved back to uk, very upsetting time loved oz so much but so difficult when hit hard times and cost of living so high. So for me I say don't rush it biggest mistake we made was buying a house to soon should of waited a few more years. 

• Like 1

I wish we had bought a flat in London or Cambridge to rent out before we came to oz but financially this was not really possible, we sold our house at the height of the GFC losing £50k but still having some equity to finance our move to oz. However, house prices in London were pretty good at the time we sold our U.K. house (early 2012) and would have been a great time to get something. I came over to oz first, the plan was to find a rental move in, unpack the container register the kids into school and make their rooms look homely for when they arrived. In the 8 weeks I was here on my own i managed all that, it worked out perfectly and just as I planned. We had gone to tkmaxx and John Lewis a lot before we came over as I knew certain things were hugely expensive, the container had new mattresses, bedding, linens, saucepans, towels. We bought over power tools but not lawnmowers and no white goods. I'm glad we did all that.
I wish I had not gone into a new car showroom and bought a brand new car the day after I arrived, it was a $20k Hyundai i30 and a year later I replaced it taking a huge loss in what I paid for it. I blame jet lag for that one! My son should have taken a great job offer he got the first week he was here, fresh out of uni with a uk degree in tv production was offered a job in Canberra but having just arrived he wanted to stay in Sydney. It took him hundreds of applications, countless interviews and another 10 months before he was offered a job on minimum wage! He's moved on since to a better job but it was a painful lesson for him. Other than that we sometimes think of something we should have brought like better luggage for travelling! We scoured this and other emigrating websites for information and advice before coming and think we are pretty happy with the way we did it all.

Take your mobile phone with you and don't cancel it until you have updated all your online accounts with the new number. Have just spent hours trying to unlock an account that was blocked because of "unusual" spending activity. The codes to reset it went to work email that I  no longer have access to  and updating all my contact  details just added extra blocks.

Thought I  had changed them all but one slipped through the net

On 4/24/2017 at 2:27 PM, Keith and Linda said:

So let me ask you and Kate this........if you are given a pet would you love and care for it? I guess the answer would be yes? therefor how can it be said that the pet is not going to a loving and caring home? the selfishness is believing that no one else could possibly love and care for your pet more than you do!

My experience was choosing not to bring our beloved dog, we thought it best not to put him through the trauma of a flight and the hot climate he would be coming to and not the selfish "we love him how could we leave him". In the end the milkman took him (both he and the dog always had time for each other) also the milkman had a small holding which suited our Border collie a lot better than our detached house and garden did.

Were you very surprised to find that there are lots of dogs living in Queensland ?

They must be able to cope in the heat.

I have a border collie by the way, and I presume your home has air conditioning >