Recent graduate looking to migrate

krilllyn

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to migrate to Australia (getting PR), but at the moment I'm pretty much stuck with possible visa options.

I graduated last year and have a Bachelor's degree in economics so I was thinking I could get a skilled independent visa since my my occupation (economist) is on the list of skilled occupations (SOL/CSOL). But as it seems I need to show at least one year of relevant work experience to get through the skills assessment (VETASSESS). Does anyone have experience with that situation or knows a workaround for my lack of work experience to still be able to apply for a visa that gives me permanent residency?

Cheers

Tom

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to migrate to Australia (getting PR), but at the moment I'm pretty much stuck with possible visa options.

I graduated last year and have a Bachelor's degree in economics so I was thinking I could get a skilled independent visa since my my occupation (economist) is on the list of skilled occupations (SOL/CSOL). But as it seems I need to show at least one year of relevant work experience to get through the skills assessment (VETASSESS). Does anyone have experience with that situation or knows a workaround for my lack of work experience to still be able to apply for a visa that gives me permanent residency?

Cheers

Tom

There are lots of new graduates here, what is needed are people with relevant experience, best to get some experience first and then try.

It is very rare for a new graduate to be able to migrate either because the skills assessment requires experience or because without the experience they can not get enough points. Also, Vestassses specifically state that an economics degree on its own is unlikely to be suitable for a positive result regardless of experience.

There are no workarounds getting a skills assessment for a PR visa, your only option would be to get an employer sponsored visa, however, with no experience I would say the chance of this is zero.

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Tom

Having a degree in economics does not make it your occupation. Skilled migrant visas are not typically for graduates they are for experienced work professionals. Focus on building your career for now and come back to the emigration idea in a few years time.

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Tom

I would recommend getting at least three years under your belt before you try. Australians can tend to look after their own, and unless you have something to offer you may struggle to get work.

Having a bachelor degree in Economics does not equate to being an Economist.

A skilled independent visa (subclass 189) is not an option as this occupation is not on the SOL, it is on the CSOL (unless you are a land economist, which is a totally different occupation).

As such you would be looking at a state sponsored visa and currently only South Australia would consider this occupation.

To qualify for a skills assessment you will require at least 12 months of post qualification skilled employment experience as an “Economist”.

A subclass 457 or RSMS may be an option, but this would require employer sponsorship.

As others have mentioned, Grad jobs are hard to come by in Australia at the moment. Lot of grads here already struggling with fierce competition.

Your best bet is to try to get into a multi-national company gain a few years work experience and look at an internal relocation.

Since you are a recent grad, do you have the finances to support the cost of a visa and the relocation without a job to come to?

Just to add: Vetassess tends to disregards your first year on the job as it considers that year as essential training to allow you to perform the tasks of the occupation skillfully and at the right level. You'd need 2-3 years therefore experience before applying as others have mentioned.

Have you considered going over on a WHV?