Is it reckless to go?

Jools1973

Yes we found Brisbane very much the same, you were almost judged ion what you owned, what car boat or whatever you owned. I don't miss that aspect.

And in Canberra it's "what level" (APS) are you and where did you go on holiday and how much did your renovation/car/house cost.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it is one of the reasons we struggled to make friends, which is something we couldn't figure as we are both very international people. I have lived / worked in 13 countries, my wife more and speaks half a dozen languages and neither struggled any where in the world previously. But we are just not that materialistic. I used to get comments about why I drove a little beat up car (a old Hyundai Getz) when I worked in mining. Likewise that I am basically a scruffy git who dresses for comfort and not looks. Though I am better than when I first met my wife when I was clearly trying to out scruff Compo and Steptoe lol.

But it we are used to people that don't buy lots of stuff, who are not interested in having the latest this or that and have little interest in such things. A lot of my friends are academics who wouldn't know a "luxury brand" if they had it inserted lol.

Yes we found Brisbane very much the same, you were almost judged ion what you owned, what car boat or whatever you owned. I don't miss that aspect.

Similar here in our part of Sydney. People are astonished that OH and I only have one car and that he cycles/gets a train to work. Likewise amongst the school mums I chat to at school, it's all about the facials, manicures, designer clothes and shoes etc you have.

I think people generally have become more materialistic and celebrity focused. I can only imagine that is the same in Aus, Chinese cities and anywhere else there is relative wealth.

There are differing degrees. Australia has long been more materially focused than Britain. The latter has caught up to some extent, but IMO Australia remains more focused on shallow pursuits.

People are used to living beyond means in Australia and ostentatious displays of wealth. This has got far worse, as easy credit and the break with a more down to earth living standard, once the preferred mode by a large section of the population pre 'The Cashed Up Bogan' change of perspective.

Young appear far more 'style conscious' than earlier generations with spending patterns (debt) to match. Australia has increasingly become shallower, more status aware and judgemental IMO.

We drive a very old car, as a car is a means of A to B for me, and prefer to spend on other things than such odious items than a poor valued car. Still people comment at times, as they renew there model and possibly think unable to do better or a bit of an eccentric at best for not falling under the consumer spell ...

Consumption is something of a culture here I find. Be that buying a new car, house, things or food consumption While not unique to Australia, it can take the place of more 'mindful' activities practised and spoken about more elsewhere.

There are differing degrees. Australia has long been more materially focused than Britain. The latter has caught up to some extent, but IMO Australia remains more focused on shallow pursuits.

It must depend whereabouts you are in Aus or UK. I can well imagine those paid mega bucks in the mining boom showing off and flashing the cash. Nouveau riche? You can't buy taste. Happened up here too with offshore rig worker husbands...the wives behaved like football WAGs! ( not all obviously!)

My other half's family are in Tassie ...i really don't see people being particularly materialistic there. Poor old backward Tassie....last to catch up with a trend!( and long may it continue!)

..............there are pockets of these wealthy.......everywhere...

.............estates and areas given over to those who like to live with displays of their wealth...

..............but little community sprit.....

..............rows of electric garage doors where the latest car disappears in the evenings....

..............and nobody seen on the streets till the opening of the door the next morning....

...............I too live semi rural......like cal

................friendlier ( though I do have a neighbour from hell)

................and more relaxed......who knows what the other people in the st have...?

.................conversation when we meet at the local shop or school more about life in general....

..................some huge homes with all mod cons side by side with live in sheds...

...................the small community held together by mutual respect and friendliness

....................not by who has the newest ,biggest,one with most bells on lol...

..............but on the other hand why should those who do have more feel they have to hide it...

..............time and hard work have given them a lifestyle to be proud of....

...............they can now afford a few of the mod cons.....a more reliable car...

................more holidays......

................the haves.......or have nots.....

................all comes down to individual attitudes

.................it's not what you have or havnt got materialisticly......

.................it's how you interact with others ....regardless of where you are in life....

We lived in North Ryde when in Sydney and never came across people like this but I dare say there are plenty of Sydney suburbs that are a bit on the pretentious side. I would imagine just like most cities anywhere.

Here in Devonport nobody gives a toss what you wear or what you drive.

Maybe it is North / South thing. My wife is a massive WA fan, but probably the biggest thing she disliked was the over consumerism of WA and a big thing about appearing to be keeping up with the Jones's. Interestingly, we did think the same when we were living in the South in Windsor. But, had never experienced it in our previous areas - we lived in Leicester and Middlesbrough and now live near Glasgow. Though maybe it was our friends as they are just not very big into things like buying stuff - our best friends, despite having very good incomes didn't even own a TV (When we left in 2008 though we only had a little black and white portable and even now have something that most people would only have in a bedroom and it doesn't even have a remote control)

I certainly noticed it at work. When I started work in a big office in Perth, you had to wear the right sunglasses and right clothes or you were looked down at. I never did and found myself ostracised by some including large parts of the management. Fortunately for me, I couldn't give a monkeys about if I am liked or not, though some took it hard.

have you already forgotten all the posts you made talking about the posh restaurants you used to like to go to & how much money you spent lol?

one example is post 34 in case you don't remember

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/227320-525-meal-fat-duck-more-like-silly-ducks-4.html

It must depend whereabouts you are in Aus or UK. I can well imagine those paid mega bucks in the mining boom showing off and flashing the cash. Nouveau riche? You can't buy taste. Happened up here too with offshore rig worker husbands...the wives behaved like football WAGs! ( not all obviously!)

My other half's family are in Tassie ...i really don't see people being particularly materialistic there. Poor old backward Tassie....last to catch up with a trend!( and long may it continue!)

Well perhaps. A friend moving to New Zealand from Perth, spoke in a similar tone, with regards to the regional city they are moving to in that country. Australian's by and large though are rather materialistic. House. Car. Toys. It has got far worse, not only with the mining boom and the ease of loaning money. Always found it more so than UK. Hope Tasmania proves different.

We lived in North Ryde when in Sydney and never came across people like this but I dare say there are plenty of Sydney suburbs that are a bit on the pretentious side. I would imagine just like most cities anywhere.

Here in Devonport nobody gives a toss what you wear or what you drive.

Sydney from a few infrequent visits but no great insight, but knowing a few people, who hail from European lands, all conclude, it is something of a shallow, over priced, hard working, (but both got in before the extreme craziness) where it is difficult to relate in meaningful way. Indeed I have known more than a few younger Sydneysiders in my time that far preferred the interaction in London to their home town.

have you already forgotten all the posts you made talking about the posh restaurants you used to like to go to & how much money you spent lol?

one example is post 34 in case you don't remember

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/227320-525-meal-fat-duck-more-like-silly-ducks-4.html

Hey it's Perth being discussed. 'posh' here means a pretty average 'chow shop' with very un average prices, that may well reflect a quality (poshness to some) found in more distant locations.

Well not at all. Style equates taste and taste is not subjective. You either have it or you don't.

..........fiddle sticks..!

..........I think I have taste.......many would not agree....

...........and taste in what..?

...........clothes ,furnishing,leisure pursuits....?

............what do you base your bench mark on...!

.............monetary value....?

..............historical elegance...?

...............the latest celebrity endorsement.....

................both so subjective to the situation we find ourselves in....IMO of course

No offence but you lived in Logan, if they were that worried about being judged they probably wouldn't live in Logan.

..........fiddle sticks..!

..........I think I have taste.......many would not agree....

...........and taste in what..?

...........clothes ,furnishing,leisure pursuits....?

............what do you base your bench mark on...!

.............monetary value....?

..............historical elegance...?

...............the latest celebrity endorsement.....

................both so subjective to the situation we find ourselves in....IMO of course

If you don't know you simply don't have it. Nothing or very little to do with the above.

No offence but you lived in Logan, if they were that worried about being judged they probably wouldn't live in Logan.

A fine example of probably being able to afford the best house in none to fancy burb, hence confuse the critiques. Either a rich eccentric preferring diversity and a burb with a bit of zing or a once well off chap fallen on harder times.

.........taste is but a aesthetic judgement based on a subjective feeling

.........it is subject to class,culture,age,etc

..........taste is purely subjectivism.....

No its not really. Some nationalities appear to have more people displaying it. It comes from within, environment, combined with culture but doesn't necessary need to be the domain of any particular age or even class.

Archived