Has Austraia changed?... slowly getting prepared for the move in a couple of yrs..

Wojtek

Unfortunately Bill Shorten is just a ventriloquist dummy for whatever the CFMEU wants him to say.

Straight out of The Australian. But far worse Turnbull is nothing like he was presented. He is beyond useless. Sold out to the far right in social policy and speaks first and foremost for business interests, as if nothing else exists.

This sort of politician being a fundamental change over the years to Australia.

I've got lot of friends who moved in to Australia and they are having a wonderful life there. Actually, they keep on coming back after a vacation. Perhaps, it depends on how people really adjust to a certain environment. It is also normal to encounter some difficulties for a few months. They call it a "culture shock". It is a feeling of disorientedness when a person moves to an environment which is different from one's own but I know sooner or later it will pass.

I suspect it far more than that. The difference is less pronounced than earlier days. Depends largely on the background of the migrant as well. Just how much 'culture shock' in another Anglo land like Australia is debateable.

My husband (in the building industry) was (had to be really) a member of the CFMEU. :elvis: That union was rotten - so much corruption going on.

On the other side had some , along with others very useful dealings with The Union. They ensured all entitlements were fully paid out to those being ' restructured' stood up against attempting bullying tactics by 'over enthusiastic management'.

My tip would be just try and get ' fairness' in individual dealings with management. So much nepotism and corruption going on.

The Libs of today are horrible and Labor lot are a bunch of spiteful nutters. Nothing to choose between them. The unions used to be honourable back in the day- really look out for people. No longer.

Funny how Howard had so much respect for Menzies. Yet Menzies would be turning in his grave, at what they did to ' his' Liberal Party.

I've got lot of friends who moved in to Australia and they are having a wonderful life there. Actually, they keep on coming back after a vacation. Perhaps, it depends on how people really adjust to a certain environment. It is also normal to encounter some difficulties for a few months. They call it a "culture shock". It is a feeling of disorientedness when a person moves to an environment which is different from one's own but I know sooner or later it will pass.
You've never lived in Australia then?

Yes, everything is 'hunky dory' as long as you have work to go to every day and a decent wage. Life here is definitely far tougher these days. We came over 30 years ago and life was very easy. The cost of living was much lower, a decent house in a good area was affordable (even in Sydney) and there were lots of jobs around. It's not like that now. You should read the Moving Back To The UK thread. Not everyone was happy here.

In a word, yes. I got there in 2005 and left in 2015. It was like it was on some kind of fast track growth on all levels, and the country i fell in love with was not the one I left. Groceries, it was said, went up 400% in that time. It was impossible to survive with any kind of decent life on one wage. In a nutshell, it had become just like most other countries. Just to argue a point; I am far more active in the UK. The crippling heat and high UV stopped me in Australia, but here we get out a lot, even for walks, bike rides or rambles, or to the beach. I appreciate that Poland is hot or cold (I've visited in both, the summer is glorious but the cold is something else), but now i've lived in both, i'd say that wherever you are you adjust. I don't see my child being disadvantaged. We have so much more to do here. For me, personally, life became very boring in Australia- if you enjoy culture, history and whatnot and aren't a beach bum, there's nothing much on offer. I took miss 7 to London last weekend (again, a cheap day out, as everything is free pretty much) and it blew her mind. Next year, i hope to take her to Barcelona, France and Poland (flights accessible and cheap) and it is all so exciting. For some, Australia is still 'living the dream' but for some of us, it became a bit of Guilded Cage. Good luck! Enjoy Poland, and you can always go back. I said to my Miss 7, the same goes for her. I'd rather her childhood be near close family, in Europe, and if she chooses Australia in the future, that is her choice.

That is so sad that families have to be limited in order to get a house. Sad and wrong. We were lucky to have as many kids as we wanted- didn't even consider financial implications, just managed and worked harder. Guess it is no longer possible

We bought our first house in 1985, it took two full time wages and a decent deposit to get the mortgage ( UK ) have things really changed that much? We suffered terribly when I had to drop hours when our first child came along certainly had to wait s few years to afford number 2.

I'm really pleased that " everything came together" for you so soon .

If you had children your outlook and perception would be very different . I don't believe that children are a " million times better off " here in Australia , in fact I don't think they are at all better off and taking them away from their close and loving family family back in the UK or whatever puts them at a distinct disadvantage . I bought my children to Australia many years ago , I've come to accept that was a mistake , although of course turning the clock back is impossible and thoughts of such are futile .

I wish you luck , and would love to hear what your perceptions and aspirations are .

Dave C

Dave c ,sorry you feel that way .

I think from your previous posts you are from my neck of the woods .

The only thing that I can add ,is that having families on both sides of the pond ,has split a once very close family .

The emotional damage it has done to my mom ,god only knows.

Very sad ,but I cant wait to wave my family off when they visit ,and that is bloody sad .

We bought our first house in 1985, it took two full time wages and a decent deposit to get the mortgage ( UK ) have things really changed that much? We suffered terribly when I had to drop hours when our first child came along certainly had to wait s few years to afford number 2.

Things have changed incredibly so in Australia.

Five years is a very long time to be unhappy if your wife doesn't like it. I would suggest you come to an agreement that is a fair bit less. Probably 2 years. There is no point in hanging around in Oz to get citizenship to a country she doesn't want to live in. Pointless.

As for change, of course it has changed massively as has everywhere. No where stands still. I think the biggest change in Oz has been working and cost of living. Oz was known as being very laid back and people didn't need to work as hard. Today, Australians work some of the longest hours in the world. This is probably at least partly due to the other big change. Living costs. It used to be the case that a Brit could sell their 2 up 2 down, move to Oz and buy the big house with a pool next to the beach. That isn't the case now. The big house by the beach will be a multi million house. i remember one of the last drives I did in WA and it was to visit a place in the northern suburbs, an area very popular with Brits and the first thing that struck me was the block sizes. These had no garden and the roofs were within centre meters of touching and just row on row of them and it was clearly little different to the rows of old terrace 2 up 2 down houses seen in many cities in the UK. I couldn't help wonder what then was the point for all the new migrants - as many of the residents are - going from their little house in the UK to their little house in Oz but having to start again financially 20 years after they started in the UK.

Five years is a very long time to be unhappy if your wife doesn't like it. I would suggest you come to an agreement that is a fair bit less. Probably 2 years. There is no point in hanging around in Oz to get citizenship to a country she doesn't want to live in. Pointless.

As for change, of course it has changed massively as has everywhere. No where stands still. I think the biggest change in Oz has been working and cost of living. Oz was known as being very laid back and people didn't need to work as hard. Today, Australians work some of the longest hours in the world. This is probably at least partly due to the other big change. Living costs. It used to be the case that a Brit could sell their 2 up 2 down, move to Oz and buy the big house with a pool next to the beach. That isn't the case now. The big house by the beach will be a multi million house. i remember one of the last drives I did in WA and it was to visit a place in the northern suburbs, an area very popular with Brits and the first thing that struck me was the block sizes. These had no garden and the roofs were within centre meters of touching and just row on row of them and it was clearly little different to the rows of old terrace 2 up 2 down houses seen in many cities in the UK. I couldn't help wonder what then was the point for all the new migrants - as many of the residents are - going from their little house in the UK to their little house in Oz but having to start again financially 20 years after they started in the UK.

So true, the suburb I am living in people are banding together to sell to developers. Who are then trying to fit as many units onto the block(s) as possible, some rooms do not even have windows. Also some being advertised as one bedroom, when in fact they are just a fancy studio due to the way they can advertise them. They are then constrained by building practices which limits them to only build one storey above the neighbouring houses. One main street looks to being bought by the same developer.

I walk by so many properties that are unlived in and need off major repair, as people just holding on to them because of the crazy property market.

In the CBD building high rise units so close to each other, you could have a conversation with your neighbour.

Australia is pushing on immigration but not actually addressing the infrastructure or facilities to support the increasing population.

Australia has close to the highest growth in population of advanced nations in the world. The implications of this will be falling living standards, as the country becomes increasingly competitive, which in turn will drive down costs. (wages)

It is clear changes have been afoot since soon after the turn of the century. The governments main focus is now business and there is little attempt to disguise increasing divisions within society. Any concept of attempting at creating the best policy that will benefit the majority of people and ensure a safety net under those of less fortune, often through no fault of their own, is becoming a thing of the past.

What some Asians called ' The Iron Rice bowl' (welfare) is being made of far more flimsy material, as we readjust our values and learn to live in ever diminishing circumstances. The process is not over night, of course there are those that benefit. Still ever more are coming to realise this coming generation will be poorer than the preceding one. We shall see if enough care to the degree to make those implementing such unfavourable changes to so many, any the more accountable.

Archived