What to do?

bluejays

I'm completely with you on Adelaide, absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever and parts of it will die once Holden goes.

a good mate of mine lives there (from UK). To be harshly upfront, its full of people who couldn't get sorted in Sydney or Melbourne. everything looks like it was built on the cheap in 1992. its Milton Keynes with a beach. I have absolutely no idea why people would relocate to Adelaide unless you fancied your final years in a bit of sun. I went once then told him I wasn't visiting again, it made my soul cry. happy Friday everyone.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good mate of mine lives there (from UK). To be harshly upfront, its full of people who couldn't get sorted in Sydney or Melbourne. everything looks like it was built on the cheap in 1992. its Milton Keynes with a beach. I have absolutely no idea why people would relocate to Adelaide unless you fancied your final years in a bit of sun. I went once then told him I wasn't visiting again, it made my soul cry. happy Friday everyone.

Along with Perth it would be just about the last place I would live, it is blisteringly hot in the summer and bloody cold in the winter. It just has very little to recommend it really.

I agree with Cal, if you were talking of leaving the good jobs in the UK you'd be encouraged to stay, I think that you need to examine the reasons that you want to return and how each of those reason would impact on you as a family and weigh up the pro's and cons.

I lost my dad suddenly in March - my husband and I returned to the UK with my brother and only spent a week there - we had to return due to my daughters university graduation and thankfully, people bent over backwards to assist us in getting everything sorted so that we were able to have the funeral within that time period. We couldn't wait to get back home, I know that the circumstances didn't make for a pleasant visit, but we didn't feel at home back in the UK. I read a post recently and someone said it's about where you feel you belong - I've never felt out of place here and am content ... I guess for me it's asking yourself that question - where do you feel that you belong/fit in and take it from there.

xx

no offence but I'd rather live with fire breathing T-Rex's than Adelaide. the worlds first outdoor retirement village where everyones lawn has the same length grass! more culture in my yoghurt I had this morning..

no offence taken from me on behalf of Adelaide or the state of South Australia. Hope you didn't take offence on behalf of Dundee, Dundonians or Nicola Sturgeon (is she even fae Dundeh?).

This is all very PC. :laugh:

and Bristolman I agree with you, the fallout from Holden and associated industries is going to be dire for a State that already has high unemployment

Hi we moved back to the UK in December after 28 years in Melbourne after hubby was made redundant from his job after being there for 25 years. I have been in your shoes when i lost my parents . .... its always hard being so far away BUT in reality i regret our moving back daily. i worked part time in melb and had a good wage now i work full time and still earn less.hubby earns 1/3 of what he did in Australia. i have 2 sisters here but honestly i have changed so much we have little in common now and its nothing like i thought it would be. we have 2 teenage daughters who have both struggled more than we thought.....one has even dropped out of school something that would never had happened in Australia where they were both very happy at a private school. we had built our dream home in Australia hich was stunning and now i have a small house that needs lots of tlc. everything is more than expensive than we thought and we miss so much......and things that i thought i missed initially in the UK mean nothing.

in my opinion, try to stick it out and then come back to the UK for more holidays if possible....or if you are adamant about moving, maybe put your belongings in storage and take leave without pay from your work instead of leaving, at least you will have something to fall back on.

good luck.....ps it took us 8 months to even make the decision we changed our minds constantly xx

Hi we moved back to the UK in December after 28 years in Melbourne after hubby was made redundant from his job after being there for 25 years. I have been in your shoes when i lost my parents . .... its always hard being so far away BUT in reality i regret our moving back daily. i worked part time in melb and had a good wage now i work full time and still earn less.hubby earns 1/3 of what he did in Australia. i have 2 sisters here but honestly i have changed so much we have little in common now and its nothing like i thought it would be. we have 2 teenage daughters who have both struggled more than we thought.....one has even dropped out of school something that would never had happened in Australia where they were both very happy at a private school. we had built our dream home in Australia hich was stunning and now i have a small house that needs lots of tlc. everything is more than expensive than we thought and we miss so much......and things that i thought i missed initially in the UK mean nothing.

in my opinion, try to stick it out and then come back to the UK for more holidays if possible....or if you are adamant about moving, maybe put your belongings in storage and take leave without pay from your work instead of leaving, at least you will have something to fall back on.

good luck.....ps it took us 8 months to even make the decision we changed our minds constantly xx

Was your husband's loss of work the only reason you moved back?

Pity it hasn't worked out. Get yourself back on a plane Down Under!

B

IT we are renting so not that much money to bring back we did sell our house in the uk so money in savings but that is doing nothing at all and the exchange rate is awful
early days, but potentially there could be a lot of IT work with brexit. Changing regulations is a boon for IT. I work in the energy sector and half our work is generated by government regulation changes. No guarantee, but I'm optimistic about post brexit IT.

Just as moving TO Australia isn't for everyone moving back to the UK also isn't for everyone. Our move has been the total opposite to your experience for instance, we have a better house, we have more money, our kids love it and have no interest in returning to Australia and we find most things cheaper.

My advice to the OP is do it, the UK is a great place to live and offers great opportunities but as I say just like Australia it isn't for example everyone.

As I have said in other threads and on here, making a move between countries is going to involve substantial re adjustments and just like going to Australia it's a bit of a leap in the dark, things are changing here and will continue to change with brexit, the country has become much more right wing, more openly xenophobic, public services are all under extreme pressure with funding becoming more and more limited, the NHS is slowly failing, aged care is in crisis, mental health care is in crisis and the education system is tinkered with every 12 months to no good effect, schools seem to have real problems with constant reports of bullying, in one case leading to a knifing death, teachers are leaving in droves as are nurses and midwife's, many maternity hospitals do not have sufficient staff to cover night deliveries so planned cesareans are rising dramatically, Walsall Council plan to close all but one library to save money

Those are the realities of living in Tory Britain with no effective political opposition party.

As I have said before as well and been howled down is that if you want to live close to work and facilities expect to pay thro the nose for housing and the house will not be a big place like in Australia and for 4,5,6 months of the year you can't think I'll take a beer and sit on the deck and enjoy watching the storms.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

The UK is NOT becoming more right wing, that is absolute nonsense and is just as laughable as the notion it is becoming openly xenophobic. The health service is under pressure, just as it is elsewhere but it is certainly not failing. Bullying in schools exists in every country in the world and is certainly no bigger problem here than it is elsewhere, our kids areally doing woder fully well in their scool and looking forward to University in the near future . Budget cuts are also happening all around the world, I hear about it all the time from friends in Australia.

Our house is bigger than our place in Australia and even though we are rural the facilities in the region are excellent.

You are not forced to sit inside for 4,5 or 6 months of the year, that is just nonsense.

The UK is NOT becoming more right wing, that is absolute nonsense and is just as laughable as the notion it is becoming openly xenophobic. The health service is under pressure, just as it is elsewhere but it is certainly not failing. Bullying in schools exists in every country in the world and is certainly no bigger problem here than it is elsewhere, our kids areally doing woder fully well in their scool and looking forward to University in the near future . Budget cuts are also happening all around the world, I hear about it all the time from friends in Australia.

Our house is bigger than our place in Australia and even though we are rural the facilities in the region are excellent.

You are not forced to sit inside for 4,5 or 6 months of the year, that is just nonsense.

It's so predictable it's laughable, what colour is this print, I reckon its black, what colour are you going for, oh, I forgot those distorting rose coloured specs distributed by The Mail make reality a difficult concept to cope with.

It's so predictable it's laughable, what colour is this print, I reckon its black, what colour are you going for, oh, I forgot those distorting rose coloured specs distributed by The Mail make reality a difficult concept to cope with.

But you don't see the irony, we all know that you will post the most slanted, distorted view of everything but you question others concept of reality. I refer you to your comments on the Brexit post lol. The reason a lot of people contact me privately is because they are sick of the doom mongers view of things. Anyone would think you were describing some poor 3rd world country.

Was your husband's loss of work the only reason you moved back?

Pity it hasn't worked out. Get yourself back on a plane Down Under!

B

Exactly, if it doesn't work out in either direction get on a plane, this life isn't a dress rehearsal so get back to where you will be happy.

Edited by bristolman

i remember you saying you thought you made a big mistake shortly after you got back to uk. we felt the same way although to be fair my husband didnt want to go back in the first place & only did it for me. we managed to get back to oz so i hope you & your family can as well. i know it is a big expense & you can feel really stupid but for us it was worth every penny & every sacrifice we had to make. hope you can find a way back to oz :hug:

As I have said in other threads and on here, making a move between countries is going to involve substantial re adjustments and just like going to Australia it's a bit of a leap in the dark, things are changing here and will continue to change with brexit, the country has become much more right wing, more openly xenophobic, public services are all under extreme pressure with funding becoming more and more limited, the NHS is slowly failing, aged care is in crisis, mental health care is in crisis and the education system is tinkered with every 12 months to no good effect, schools seem to have real problems with constant reports of bullying, in one case leading to a knifing death, teachers are leaving in droves as are nurses and midwife's, many maternity hospitals do not have sufficient staff to cover night deliveries so planned cesareans are rising dramatically, Walsall Council plan to close all but one library to save money

Those are the realities of living in Tory Britain with no effective political opposition party.

As I have said before as well and been howled down is that if you want to live close to work and facilities expect to pay thro the nose for housing and the house will not be a big place like in Australia and for 4,5,6 months of the year you can't think I'll take a beer and sit on the deck and enjoy watching the storms.

more openly xenophobic, with the emphasis on openly.

They are both good countries, we all know that. But there are times where one country may be a better bet for an individual at a particular point in time. When you moved to Australia the exchange rate was bad as you told us many times. For someone asset rich this would be a bad thing. For someone asset poor moving to a high powered job, it would be a great thing. Generalisation from both sides of the coin isn't really a lot of help for someone who is deciding whether they should move.

But you don't see the irony, we all know that you will post the most slanted, distorted view of everything but you question others concept of reality. I refer you to your comments on the Brexit post lol. The reason a lot of people contact me privately is because they are sick of the doom mongers view of things. Anyone would think you were describing some poor 3rd world country.

No, just the truth, not what the Sun and the Mail make up to keep the slavering masses happy.

They are both good countries, we all know that. But there are times where one country may be a better bet for an individual at a particular point in time. When you moved to Australia the exchange rate was bad as you told us many times. For someone asset rich this would be a bad thing. For someone asset poor moving to a high powered job, it would be a great thing. Generalisation from both sides of the coin isn't really a lot of help for someone who is deciding whether they should move.

Absolutely, as I have said many times. When we LEFT Australia the rate was brilliant for us, I can't really recall exactly what it was the last time we arrived in Australia, I seem to remember it was OK at least.

Where is it you live, I never quite know but I think it's Hereford, not exactly destination of choice for your average sudenese refugees, polish builders or bulgarian car washers is it now, come on.

No it is too rural for most but we certainly have our share of Eastern Europeans in the area, I'm not quite sure of the relevance of that comment though.

So Walsall are not seriously considering, as an agenda item, to close 15 libraries, why are there govt adverts for teachers, why are nursing homes closing down, why have there been a series of inquests blaming hospitals and mental health authorities for deaths which were preventable with proper care and staffing , literally every NHS trusts is missing their targets for waiting times in A&E, we have the worst waiting times for Cancer treatment in Europe, its all in my darkened tortured soul is it, 30% of new teachers leave within 3 years, that's my depression imagining that is it.

get a grip and read something that tells it like it is , we have more food banks than in eastern europe, benefit claimants commit suicide because they lose their benefits for turning up late for appointments, that's the England we are now, the England that doesn't want child refugees from Calais in its districts, just like 1938 when we wouldn't give visas to German Jews because we didn't want to believe what was happening, it was all just exaggerated so they could get into England was what the Foreign Office said.

To an extent I don’t disagree with much of what you write, as I am increasingly concerned that the most vulnerable in society continue to pay a huge price for the legacy of the 2008 financial crash which, imo, was used as a convenient vehicle to push some very draconian right wing policies. Brexit has added another dimension with no-one, least of all our elected representatives, clear about where the country is headed or the practical consequences for ordinary people.

However having said that, I don’t think it accurate to paint a picture of a nation of downtrodden people who potentially hibernate for 6 months, with no hope of decent health care or a decent place to live, and with children facing bullying as a matter of course. That is truthfully not my life, nor the life of my family and friends. I have no idea whether it is all about to change tomorrow, but there is not a country or economy in the world that can provide a guarantee of financial stability for life.

Just my opinion @BacktoDemocracy but while I am not happy with the political climate or the direction it is taking, I currently live in a country where you don’t pay for medication if your GP believes you need it, where oral healthcare is recognised as integral to overall health and well being and is free to the most vulnerable, and where university fees are subsidised in an attempt to widen young people’s opportunities. And while bullying exists, the other side to that coin is the number of amazing ordinary kids who regularly take part in voluntary activities including those 450,000 young people in the Scouts and Guides, 14,000 Sea cadets, 41,000 Army cadets, and 60,000 Air cadets, just by way of example.

For all its issues, it is possible to live in the UK and enjoy a good and happy life....but if your heart is elsewhere I guess the chances of doing so reduce. T x

It's the old Joe McCarthy trick, instead of destroying your opponents arguments, you destroy him by impugning his patriotism and his mental health, used a great deal by demogogues throughout history when questions were raised about policy, strategy, facts or ethics, Trump is doing it at the moment and is contributing to the slide into the post truth era.