How can i move to Australia? Help!!

Robbied

Hi Guys

Just a cry for help really, i would love to move to Australia on a permanent basis but don't know how to do it and what way to approach it!

Bit of back ground on me, skills wise, i have got an incomplete Electricians qualification due to the company going bust but is only missing one exam paper, i have done a plastering course but it came with no certificates but have been doing that on and off for 2 years but my full time job is a Firefighter in the Uk. I have pretty much no qualifications apart from the Fire service ones and the part of my electricians qualification. I do hold an IOSH qualification and a HGV licence if that makes any difference? My mum has 3 cousins living in Australia who have been there since birth, they all said they would sponsor me but I'm not sure on how i can make that work??

I have used up my working holiday visa with no luck of staying. I have been visiting Australia on and off for about 10 years now and just need to go and settle over there but I'm in such a predicament on how to achieve this??

All help/guidance would be much appreciated

Hi Robbie

Fire Fighter is on the SOL in Western Australia at the moment - http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-wa/occupations-in-demand

So if I were you I'd be going for it through that!

How long have you worked in the Fire Service in the UK?

Looks like that might be your route!

Hi Guys

Just a cry for help really, i would love to move to Australia on a permanent basis but don't know how to do it and what way to approach it!

Bit of back ground on me, skills wise, i have got an incomplete Electricians qualification due to the company going bust but is only missing one exam paper, i have done a plastering course but it came with no certificates but have been doing that on and off for 2 years but my full time job is a Firefighter in the Uk. I have pretty much no qualifications apart from the Fire service ones and the part of my electricians qualification. I do hold an IOSH qualification and a HGV licence if that makes any difference? My mum has 3 cousins living in Australia who have been there since birth, they all said they would sponsor me but I'm not sure on how i can make that work??

I have used up my working holiday visa with no luck of staying. I have been visiting Australia on and off for about 10 years now and just need to go and settle over there but I'm in such a predicament on how to achieve this??

No worries,

It's right at the end of the list - It says 'available' so I reckon you could go for Skill Select and you could potentially be invited by Western Australia to apply. I am sure they would be all too willing to have a Fire Fighter with 15 years experience!!

If I was in your position I'd be putting in that expression of interest tonight!!

You might want to speak to a Migration Agent to get their advice, some people find a migration agent takes the hassle out of the tricky process, but other's prefer to navigate it on their own and save some money. You'd be looking at upwards of £1000 for migration agent fees on top of the Visa fees.

How old are you? Under 45 is easier than over 45.

Hey SummerHQ

thanks for the speedy response! I have been in the fire service for almost 15 years now, ill try the link to see what happens??

If you can think of anything else or anyone who can help keep commenting

Thanks heaps

I've emailed vetassess in Perth already as I went through this process before and as I didn't state that I had an nvq level 3 which I think is an AQF equivalent they through my application out and it cost me £800! So I've asked them if the nvq that I have is suitable to satisfy the government! Hopefully I get a positive response! Yep I'm under 45 I'm 33 soon to be 34 s got plenty of life left in me yet

Wouldn't be holding out too much hope for that - it's schedule 2 so that means you have to have a job offer to go to

OCCUPATION ON SCHEDULE 2 OF THE WESTERN AUSTRALIAN

SKILLED MIGRATION OCCUPATION LIST

Subclass 190 visa

�� Have a contract of employment6 for full-time employment7 for at least 12 months in Western Australia in the nominated (or closely related3) occupation.

Subclass 489 visa

�� Have a contract of employment6 for full-time employment7 for at least 12 months in regional Western Australia in the nominated (or closely related3) occupation.

Getting accepted as a foreign fire fighter when they are probably overwhelmed with local applicants that they can train up to their specifications is likely not to happen in a hurry. There was a thread on this very situation on another board recently and the general feedback from folk on the ground is that you would have buckleys of getting taken on in this economic climate, especially not in WA. So even if there are occupations on the list it doesn't mean that you are likely to be accepted.

Qualifications are rather meaningless without work experience, so if you have worked full time as a fire fighter then it is only conceivable that you could try to emigrate as a fire fighter. Unfortunately this is not likely. Fire fighters are not in sufficient demand, there are already large numbers of volunteer fire fighters in Australia that would like to go permanent but there are not the roles. And typically the Australian fire services do not value UK experience that much as I am guessing you want have too much experience battling ten days of bushfire for example.

Still no harm in trying. So as you how to get a job, well just apply / write to them same way as you would for any job. The worst that can happen is you are turned down or don't get an answer.

But realistically, I think you would need a career change to get to Australia.

I'm with Bungo. Career change.

If you want to make the move you probably need to rethink the career and be prepared to change it. And to get on with it as you are getting older and the visa rules and regs keep changing, as does the list for sponsorship. Electrician may be worthwhile investigating but you need to get on and finish and qualify and probably gain experience working in the field.

Whatever you do, don't delay or faff around too much longer else you may find the door closed for good.

Agree with the above. At the moment, for immigration, your occupation is firefighter but this is not going to get you a visa - a huge amount of Oz firefighters are volunteers who would love a paid job doing it.

So, you are going to have to either start a new career or go back to a previous one. However, it won't be a quick process as you will need the qualification and a number of years post qualification experience. You do need to be aware that there are risks in this as the occupation lists change regularly and there is no guarantee that by the time you are in an occupation with the right level of skills and experience that the occupation will still be on the list. So, it is a gamble you need to consider about how much you like your current job and how much you want to chance it.

I disagree, I think 15 years experience would be very valuable to anyone. It's on the list as an in demand 'available' occupation, so there's clearly a need. If there wasn't it definitely wouldn't even be on the list. Volunteer firefighters don't want full time roles often. I used to work for the fire service in the UK and our retained firefighters were retained for very good reasons. I wouldn't say that they applied for full time roles. They usually like being retained/volunteer as they are retired or have other jobs. It may be schedule 2, but that doesn't stop you from reaching out to them ... Everything is always worth a shot, you never know where it might lead! It's only by not trying that you fail. Go for it!!

Thanks for the replies, just for info i have worked as an electrician for almost 16 years and been doing plastering for around 2 so there is some experience in both other fields, looks like ill just have to find myself an australian sheila to marry

For electrician work you will definitely need qualifications.

haha, unfortunately marrying a Sheila won't solve your problems either... Defecto visas take a good 12 months of living and sharing bills together before you apply, then a few years for the visa to 'nature' before you can do any work, and partner visas take centuries to go through too so it's not that simple either. I think your best bet at the moment is getting in touch with fire fighter recruitment. I know it's not the same trade but I know an ambulance paramedic who go in that way and he had many years experience in the uk.

Thanks for the replies, just for info i have worked as an electrician for almost 16 years and been doing plastering for around 2 so there is some experience in both other fields, looks like ill just have to find myself an australian sheila to marry

For electrician work you will definitely need qualifications.

haha, unfortunately marrying a Sheila won't solve your problems either... Defecto visas take a good 12 months of living and sharing bills together before you apply, then a few years for the visa to 'nature' before you can do any work, and partner visas take centuries to go through too so it's not that simple either. I think your best bet at the moment is getting in touch with fire fighter recruitment. I know it's not the same trade but I know an ambulance paramedic who go in that way and he had many years experience in the uk.

Its not quite that bad.

Registering a relationship or getting married removes the need for 12 months living together, though you would still need to prove a committed relationship. Dpn't now what you mean about waiting years before you can work either, all the spouse visas come with full work rights straight away.

Can't honestly see WA sponsoring a firefighter in the current climate - it was discussed recently on another forum and there are just too many locals wanting the jobs.Even pramedics find it tougher now they aren't being sponsored inn the numbers that they were a few years ago, there just isn't the need.

I disagree, I think 15 years experience would be very valuable to anyone. It's on the list as an in demand 'available' occupation, so there's clearly a need. If there wasn't it definitely wouldn't even be on the list. Volunteer firefighters don't want full time roles often. I used to work for the fire service in the UK and our retained firefighters were retained for very good reasons. I wouldn't say that they applied for full time roles. They usually like being retained/volunteer as they are retired or have other jobs. It may be schedule 2, but that doesn't stop you from reaching out to them ... Everything is always worth a shot, you never know where it might lead! It's only by not trying that you fail. Go for it!!

Well you are talking rubbish. I have been an avid use of forums for over seven years and have never ever seen a firefighter make the move. There is no "need" for fire fighters in WA beyond what they can already produce locally that is. It is on the list that requires a job offer which in fact means it is throwing a bone to anyone on the off chance that they might be in WA already. Of course there is no harm in OP contacting the appropriate bodies, but the chances of success are beyond remote,

Edited by Bungo

I have to agree with Bungo. I don't think there is a chance you'll get in as a Firefighter so I'd start exploring your other options. The 'trade' route is always a safe one to go down, so your plastering or electrician background might suffice, however, if you were to secure a qualification in either, along with your work experience, this should be fine. I too have been wanting to go to Australia for quite a few years now. My (now) wife and I went for a year in 2012 to stay with her parents in Perth (they moved out there 8 years ago). At the time I was a HGV driver but when we came back I applied to do a degree, which I completed in June this year, and I'm now doing a secondary school PGCE, so once I finish this we'll be putting the wheels in motion to finally move over, as I'll be a qualified teacher. It's been a long wait and it's nearly over but it's definitely been worth it.

Basically what I'm saying is even if it takes you a couple of years or so, it's easily achievable.

Hi saw this hope it helps

Now recruiting for 2016-17

Project Firefighters

Opportunities now available statewide

ELWP_logo.png

[ Go to content | Menu | Login ]

[h=3]Main Navigation[/h]

[h=3]Menu[/h]

[h=3]Current Opportunities[/h]

[h=1]Quick Search[/h] Job Reference

Category Please SelectAccountingAdministrationBanking and Financial ServicesCall Centre/Customer ServiceCommunications, Media and MarketingCommunity and SportConstructionConsulting and Corporate StrategyEducation and TrainingEngineeringHealthcare and MedicalHospitality and TourismHR and RecruitmentInformation Technology and TelecommunicationInsurance and SuperannuationLegalPolice and Emergency ServicesPolicyPrimary IndustryPrisons and Corrective ServicesProperty and LandRecords ManagementRegulatory and ComplianceRetail and Consumer ProductsScience and TechnologyTrades and ServicesTransport

Keywords

Advanced Search

[h=3]Login[/h]Email Address

Password

I forgot my password

or Register here.

[h=1]Opportunities available statewide[/h]

[h=1]Opportunities available statewide[/h]The Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) and Parks Victoria (PV) are running a statewide search for skilled, fit and healthy people to become Project Firefighters (PFF) this summer.

We employ field based seasonal firefighters to assist with the prevention and suppression of bushfires in parks and forests across Victoria. It’s a job where no two days are the same.

Are you ready for the challenge?

All training will be provided and positions are open to those who:

• Have a high level of fitness.
  • Are a team player.
  • Hold a current manual driver's licence.

Positions are available over the warmer months (generally between November and April) and include:

Salaries commence from $842.22 per week plus superannuation.

Applications close Sunday 31 August 2014.

For further information about our firefighter roles and to apply, click on the relevant position link or position tab above or refer to the Project Firefighters brochure.

You are required to submit a separate application for each position.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and Parks Victoria (PV) are looking for people who want to help protect Victorian communities from bushfire to become seasonal firefighters as part of Forest Fire Management crews.

Each year, we employ field based seasonal firefighters to assist with planned burning and the prevention and suppression of bushfires in parks and forests.

It's a job where no two days are the same. Seasonal firefighting is a great way to make a contribution, be challenged, work as part of a team and develop career pathways.

Are you ready?

Training will be provided and positions are open to men and women who:

• Are a team player.

Positions available (generally between November and April) for a period of 18 to 26 weeks include:

Applications for the 2016-17 season have now closed.

For further information about our firefighter roles, refer to the Project Firefighters brochure.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Employers / Post Job

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]

Upload your resume Sign in

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

: [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=class: lnav]

[TR]

[TD]wAAACH5BAEHAAIALAAAAAABAAEAAAICVAEAOw==[/TD]

[TD][TABLE=align: left]

[TR]

[TD=class: npb]What[/TD]

[TD=class: npb, colspan: 3]Where[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: npl epr]

[/TD]

[TD=class: npl epr]

[/TD]

[TD=class: npl][/TD]

[TD=class: npl advanced-search]Advanced Job Search

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD=class: npl, colspan: 2]

[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]job title, keywords or company [/TD]

[TD=class: label, colspan: 3]city, state/territory or postcode [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD][h=1]firefighters jobs in Australia[/h]

Filter results by: Sort by: relevance - date

Salary Estimate

Job Type

[/TD]

[TD]

Jobs 1 to 10 of 27

Upload your resume - Let employers find you

[h=2]Project Fire Fighter - Term Pool Register 2016-17[/h] Government of South Australia - South Australia [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$25,011 - $46,625 a year Project Firefighters are primarily employed to support DEWNRs fire suppression and prescribed burning operations....

19 days ago - save job - more...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Salesperson[/h]Firefighters Calendar - Brisbane QLD [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip] We require energetic and driven people to assist us in selling the Firefighters Calendar. We run multiple kiosks and sell in excess of 300,000 calendars each...

Easily apply to this job

30+ days ago - save job - more...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Fire Fighter[/h] Royal Australian Air Force - 16 reviews - Australia [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$132 a day Upon promotion to Flight Sergeant, a Senior Non Commission Officers of the Firefighter mustering is known as a Firefighter Manager (FIREFTR MNGR)....

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Senior Project Fire Fighter - Term Pool Register 2016-17[/h] Government of South Australia - South Australia [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$49,576 - $53,661 a year Senior Project Firefighters are primarily employed to support DEWNRs fire suppression and prescribed burning operations....

19 days ago - save job - more...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Sessional Trainer - First Aid[/h] Stitches First Aid Education - Melbourne VIC [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]Firefighters - A or D or C shift only. 'Stitches' provides onsite First Aid Training for your workplace and community....

Easily apply to this job

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Fire Fighter/Emergency Responder[/h] Australian Army - 90 reviews - Australia [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$132 a day ADF Firefighter Basic Course:. After 12 months as a basic Firefighter and upon successful completion of the competencies required of an Operator Emergency...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Fire Fighter/Emergency Responder[/h] Army Reserve - Australia [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$132 a day ADF Firefighter Basic Course:. After 12 months as a basic Firefighter and upon successful completion of the competencies required of an Operator Emergency...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Sales and Promotions - Firefighters Calendar Qld[/h] Ciervo Entertainment - Brisbane QLD +1 location[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$350 - $450 a day - Contract The Australian Firefighters Calendar 2016-17 is looking for sellers and promoters. We're after hardworking enthusiastic people who love talking to people all...

Easily apply to this job

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]Firefighters - Retained Firefighters Newcastle Region[/h] Regional Operations Directorate - Hunter Valley NSW [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$28.21 - $31.73 an hour - CasualFirefighters - Current and future vacancies in Newcastle Region for On-call Retained Firefighters, Fire & Rescue NSW....

NSW Public Service Commission - 30+ days ago - save job - more...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=2]CEO & Equity Partner[/h] Chargebar - Surry Hills NSW [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: snip]$75,000 a year Be the firefighter. Are you working for someone but always dreamed of becoming an entrepreneur?...

Easily apply to this job

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Never miss a job. Get new jobs emailed to you daily.

Get email updates for the latest firefighters jobs in australia

My email:

Also get an email with jobs recommended just for me You can cancel email alerts at any time.

Results Page: 1 2 3 Next »

Popular Searches: Medicare Australia jobs in Caringbah NSW - Chief Geologist jobs in Western Australia - Personal Banking jobs in Epping VIC - » Sports Retail jobs in Brisbane QLD - Library Manager jobs in Victoria

[/TD]

[TD]Get new jobs for this search by email

My email: Also get an email with jobs recommended just for me

You can cancel email alerts at any time.

Firefighter salaries in AU

$29.31 per hour

$58,615 per year

$4,885 per month

$1,172 per week

$234 per day

Same as the national average

$26.85$32

Common

Estimated salary from 2 employees and 118

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi Guys

http://www.downundercentre.com/australian-skill-assessments

http://www.downundercentre.com/electrical-skills-assessment-australia_s11

I would have a chat with Wes at the Down Under Centre in London about assessing your competencies as an electrician through their arrangement with Future Skills International.

Also discuss your skilled visa points position with a registered migration agent.

Best regards.

This was a post several years ago from a PIO member called Mr. Luvpants who was a firefighter in the UK.

I am a firefighter and was not sure as to what trade I was going to do once there but was willing to give it a go. However I contacted all the State fire services and WA came back and said that they were trying to sort out a lateral policy so that UK firefighters could transfer straight in.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/104518-luvpants-have-landed-our-arrival-report.html

I don't know if any progress was made by WA on that front - you'd have to check with them directly. (Mr. Luvpants went to Qld and became a police officer).

I don't agree with some of the comments made about volunteer firefighters. Most of them in Oz are volunteers because they want to help their communities in time of bushfire crisis - not because they have any ambitions about making it a career.

The CSOL has no relation to "need". There are occupations om there - including mine - which have mass unemployment / close to zero jobs available, but stay on the list.

WA are very clear in their occupations which require a job offer. The reason they leave it on the list is for people who may have been in Oz a long time and work in the occupation who want to apply for pr

This was a post several years ago from a PIO member called Mr. Luvpants who was a firefighter in the UK.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/104518-luvpants-have-landed-our-arrival-report.html

I don't know if any progress was made by WA on that front - you'd have to check with them directly. (Mr. Luvpants went to Qld and became a police officer).

I don't agree with some of the comments made about volunteer firefighters. Most of them in Oz are volunteers because they want to help their communities in time of bushfire crisis - not because they have any ambitions about making it a career.

i disagree with your last sentence. For example pretty much all firefighters in WA outside of Perth are volunteers even covering some fairly sizeable cities. I know a few guys who are voltuneers in Mandurah - one of the fastest growing cities in Oz and where all firefighters are volunteers who would love a paid role.

Hi saw this hope it helps

Now recruiting for 2016-17

Project Firefighters

Opportunities now available statewide

ELWP_logo.png

[ Go to content | Menu | Login ]

Main Navigation

Menu

Current Opportunities

Quick Search

Job Reference

Category Please SelectAccountingAdministrationBanking and Financial ServicesCall Centre/Customer ServiceCommunications, Media and MarketingCommunity and SportConstructionConsulting and Corporate StrategyEducation and TrainingEngineeringHealthcare and MedicalHospitality and TourismHR and RecruitmentInformation Technology and TelecommunicationInsurance and SuperannuationLegalPolice and Emergency ServicesPolicyPrimary IndustryPrisons and Corrective ServicesProperty and LandRecords ManagementRegulatory and ComplianceRetail and Consumer ProductsScience and TechnologyTrades and ServicesTransport

Keywords

Advanced Search

Login

Email Address

Password

I forgot my password

or Register here.

Opportunities available statewide

Opportunities available statewide

The Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) and Parks Victoria (PV) are running a statewide search for skilled, fit and healthy people to become Project Firefighters (PFF) this summer.

We employ field based seasonal firefighters to assist with the prevention and suppression of bushfires in parks and forests across Victoria. It’s a job where no two days are the same.

Are you ready for the challenge?

All training will be provided and positions are open to those who:

• Are a team player.

Positions are available over the warmer months (generally between November and April) and include:

Applications close Sunday 31 August 2014.

For further information about our firefighter roles and to apply, click on the relevant position link or position tab above or refer to the Project Firefighters brochure.

You are required to submit a separate application for each position.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and Parks Victoria (PV) are looking for people who want to help protect Victorian communities from bushfire to become seasonal firefighters as part of Forest Fire Management crews.

Each year, we employ field based seasonal firefighters to assist with planned burning and the prevention and suppression of bushfires in parks and forests.

It's a job where no two days are the same. Seasonal firefighting is a great way to make a contribution, be challenged, work as part of a team and develop career pathways.

Are you ready?

Training will be provided and positions are open to men and women who:

• Are a team player.

Positions available (generally between November and April) for a period of 18 to 26 weeks include:

Applications for the 2016-17 season have now closed.

For further information about our firefighter roles, refer to the Project Firefighters brochure.

I doubt it will help. Firstly it specifies that it is mandatory for applicants to be citizens or permanent residents and secondly the application window is now closed anyway.