School year time table

shargreaves

Anybody help out with a school year time table?? Like in UK, school year starts September til July of the following year with half term in October, christmas, February, easter and then May. We are looking at our daughter finishing her school year in the July then moving over in the September. We don't really want to send her back to school for 12 weeks until Christmas as well as our little boy starting reception class, and having to pay out for uniforms etc, to have to start all over again in Oz & paying out again. We'd rather finish her school year & not send her back or start our little boy in school to do it all over again in Oz. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Send them! Its a foreign country with completely different curriculum and expectations. They could do term 4, make friends for the holidays etc. Most states are 4 10 week terms (one term usually has 11 weeks ) the school year starts just after Australia day with breaks then close to Easter, July and September. Long holiday usually starts around the week before Christmas.

Send them! Its a foreign country with completely different curriculum and expectations. They could do term 4, make friends for the holidays etc. Most states are 4 10 week terms (one term usually has 11 weeks ) the school year starts just after Australia day with breaks then close to Easter, July and September. Long holiday usually starts around the week before Christmas.

So i am right in thinking the school year starts in February in Oz?? We either move in September from the Uk which means not returning to uk school in the September and starting in oz school near end of year (which we don't or mind n little guy gets 6 months more to adjust to starting school) or moving over January and starting the school year in Uk but only for 12 weeks, then starting afresh in Oz. Also my littke guy would start school September 2018 in Uk but February 2019 in Oz from what i understand. Sorry hope i'm making sense, i know what i want to say but its difficult to interpret correctly ?

Send them to school in UK until you leave and then put them into school when you arrive - what's the cost of a few uniforms and you can sell them on if you need to save pennies. It really isn't a great idea to keep a child out of school from the end of July through to the end of January. It really doesn't matter which way you go about it but it is easier from the pov of accommodation, employment etc not to arrive over Christmas which would suggest an arrival after the UK year has finished would be better. Don't sweat the starting in the middle of the year thing, kids do it all the time and, as said before, foreign country = different education system so they won't be "repeating" anything, they won't have done it before.

Your young chap starting will depend on his date of birth and the state you are going to - could be 2018 could be 2019, it's not the same as UK!

Edited by Quoll

The school year breakdown is as has been explained above.

I'd not pull a kid out of school just because of things like uniform. You don't have to buy masses and can buy a larger size to get wear out of it this year and next. And in the grand scheme of migrating a few bits of uniform is a drop in the ocean cost wise. Don't go overboard and recycle from the previous year if you can. If buying generic uniform it's cheap as from places like Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys.

Aus uniform and clothing sizes tend to go in 2 year gaps also. So 4,6,8,10,12. So you get a couple of years wear. And second hand uniform shops are in schools.

I sent my son back to his UK school for 6 weeks of term one only before we made the move. He had shorts from the previous summer term and one new pair long trousers. One new polo top was all. I squished him into the stuff from year before just fine. And then he started the second week of term 4 here in Aus after the Sept/October holiday. I kitted him out in second hand uniform I bought on school tour day, 2 tops, 1 pair of shorts and a new school hat and we were away. Went shopping on the weekend then for some generic grey school shorts and a few polo tops. And got a couple more second hand school tops and jumpers as they came into the shop. It wasn't expensive or difficult. And as we've gone on and moved schools 7 months later it was fine selling his old uniform on and buying for the new school.

Send them to school.

want to make friends? you'll do it with other parents nearby at first in the same position as you.

Want to integrate? you'll do it through your kids!

Want the kids to settle? let them make friends with whom they can play during the school holidays and not just be knocking around with you for months getting clingy and attached making next years school a much bigger wrench (you will thank me for this, or at least, save a fortune on alcohol!)

Cost are negligible and curriculum is different, get them integrated and into routine so it's 'home' quickly.

Sorry i don't think i've explained it too well. I know what i want to say in my head but its hard to put it into context ?. Intend to send the kid(s depending on when yougest would start), to school as soon as we can when we arrive. Just wondering if we arrive September (without sending daughter back to school in uk) if there would be any holidays that would need to be covered apart from the big christmas holidays. We are both planning on working (wife part time like she does in uk), just trying to budget any extra costs. Good idea about 2nd hand uniforms shops especially seeing as daughter is really tall for her age. Want the kids to make friends n feel settled as soon as possible when we arrive that will hopefully help us to make friends too with other parents.

Hi. It's fine in Oz to start part way through the year. We did this when we came back to Melbourne. My daughter started school at the beginning of term 2 in grade 3. As others have said for primary school, you can get 2nd hand uniforms here too, and usually some things can be bought as generic at Target, KMart, Big W, etc. saves money on the school uniform shop prices.

There are 4 terms a year, with 2 weeks holiday usually around Easter, in June/July and again September/October, so if you are both working you will need holiday care to,cover these. Most schools offer before and after school hours care, and holiday programme. If your school doesn't offer it one nearby will. Costs for holiday programme vary from about $30 to $90 per,day, depending on what the activity is and the provider. If you are on a PR visa, you will get some of that subsidised (I think -someone correct me otherwise), but if younger on a 457 you will not get the subsidy.

Bril thanks everybody. We are on PR visas so have heard that childcare can be subsidised. We relie on grandparents over in the UK for helping with holiday cover, so its something to factor in our budget planner. Hoping that the little people with make friends and some will go to holiday club as well. What a fabulous idea having 2nd hand uniform shops, my daughter grew so much last year she had 2 lots to see her through the school year?

We arrive in Oz on the 25th October so the kids are currently in school in the UK (squeezed into last year's uniform lol). They will then start school on 31st October, part way through term 4. We thought it would be nice to settle them I for a few weeks before the dec/jan hols and hopefully they will feel more comfortable going back in Feb.

We had the same dilemma last year but I wanted another Christmas at home... So we booked flights for January 4th and had a holiday for a week but stayed with in laws and visited school to sort uniforms etc and looked for a rental. January in Gold Coast is a very busy changeover time for rentals. Lots come up but lots of people viewing too... Hindsight maybe coming in October would have been better but hey ho you do what's right at the time..

My friend actually went travelling in Asia for a few weeks before landing in Oz she was waiting for or to be activated and approved. Would have been t we decided to come straight over as we had 5suitcases and day packs... Not conducive to travelling in my opinion. Good luck. Yes lots of kids start at different times of the year..

Sorry i don't think i've explained it too well. I know what i want to say in my head but its hard to put it into context . Intend to send the kid(s depending on when yougest would start), to school as soon as we can when we arrive. Just wondering if we arrive September (without sending daughter back to school in uk) if there would be any holidays that would need to be covered apart from the big christmas holidays. We are both planning on working (wife part time like she does in uk), just trying to budget any extra costs. Good idea about 2nd hand uniforms shops especially seeing as daughter is really tall for her age. Want the kids to make friends n feel settled as soon as possible when we arrive that will hopefully help us to make friends too with other parents.

Here in QLD we break for school holidays on / around 16th September, the kids have 2 weeks off and return 4th October for the start of Term 4 which will go through to early December when they break for the big holidays . In the UK the big holidays are July , here Dec and January.

Hope this helps

Cal x

p.s,, our area and some other suburbs i know have Facebook pages selling cheap 2nd uniform so keep an eye out for community pages etc in the suburb you settle in.

Thanks for everybody's help. Think we are aiming to come over September time instead if christmas. Will help to get the little people settled & hopefully a few friends to spend a bit of time with over the holidays

Sounds like a good plan! Good luck with it all!