Toursit Visa - does it count towards the 4 years for citizenship?

CowlingAFC

Cowling you do not need to keep opening different threads with the same topics of conversation, you must be up to four now! People do read in more than one area. And if you are not going to take it from me that the tourist visa counts then I would suggest you wander into an immigration office or consult an agent.

settle down pal. If people believed half the stuff people say on here then there would be a lot of disorganised people going about.

Always good to get a second opinion, and to be honest, there's also no need for you to reply if you have already posted.

If admin have a problem with my posts they are more than welcome to delete

settle down pal. If people believed half the stuff people say on here then there would be a lot of disorganised people going about.

Always good to get a second opinion, and to be honest, there's also no need for you to reply if you have already posted.

If admin have a problem with my posts they are more than welcome to delete

I am lying in bed perfectly settled Cowling thank you. I was merely advising you on the forum etiquette of not opening multiple threads on the same topic. And as two people had confirmed the tourist visa situation before you started this thread, I honestly thought some professional advice would give you the level of comfort you appear to be seeking.

Being on a tourist visa DOES count.

The general residence requirement says: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence/eligibility

You must meet all of the following:

• have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
  • must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

A visitor or tourist visa is a valid Australian visa. (As is a WHV and all other temp visas).

The requirement is really saying you must not have been here illegally at any time in the last four years.

This question has come up many times previously and the answer is always that a tourist visa is a valid visa for citizenship eligibility purposes.

trust @Bungo ! given me lots of advice in the past and has always been right.

I've been on a WHV for 2 years, then 10 months back in England. Visa's been granted recently... fly next week... question is, will I be able to count those 2 years.... in 2 years time?

Nickynook's post should answer that!

I've read it that much that I've confused myself reading it.

i'm guessing..... I'll not be allow to leave the country for more than 2 months (or whatever is remaining) in the next 2 years?

.....if i want to apply for Citizenship in 2 years

I am afraid that you probably can't count the WHV. The visas need to be consecutive to count, if you did not have legal residence during that ten months gap the clock restarts.