Cairns, is it safe? Boring?

SUPERSTARDJ01

Guest The Pom Queen
Probably Toorak or Glen Waverley hahaha- they're real rough, very cheap to live though only a couple of mill for a 3 bedder

Lol that is so true

Guest The Pom Queen
He claimed to live in Tin Can Bay at one time, if I remember rightly.......................yeah right!..................A real hell hole with bikies running the town! The butcher there has to charge $25 for a couple of lamb chops just to cover his protection money :wacko:

I thought he lived in Toowoomba, wow it seems he lives everywhere.

I often walked the streets alone, never locked the house or cars you will be fine.

I am not convinced not locking the house or car is anything but inviting trouble. Are you suggesting it okay in Cairns? It likely is outside in Tablelands or similar, but even back in the 90's I'd be locking everything.

As for personal safety, there were definitely issues especially at night, but witnessed and heard first hands reports of tourists being harassed at the vert least. One bloke was running around stabbing unsuspecting people walking in the street, usually foreign back packers.

Personally only experienced medium level of agro from a drunken Pom back packer at The Wool Shed, but that was over dancing with a woman, whom he'd had his eye on and could have been anywhere.

Really? It's strange as it was not in the news and they publish every little bit of crime, things that in the UK would just be ignored as its a common occurrence. You say bogan, please tell me where you stayed and went? The Esplanade is full of backpackers as the locals tend to go to Ellis Beach, Trinity, Palm Cove etc.

'I have never heard anyone say Cairns is Bogan, I really think you must be thinking of somewhere else as I couldn't even class the M suburbs as bogan.

I recall a pub in Cairns (name escapes me) used to visit on occasions which had a 99% indigenous crowd. (even more) I liked the music there and never had a problem. Not to say there weren't problems but never once felt intimidated. I would not feel so confident in a similar situation probably here in the West.

I recall a pub in Cairns (name escapes me) used to visit on occasions which had a 99% indigenous crowd. (even more) I liked the music there and never had a problem. Not to say there weren't problems but never once felt intimidated. I would not feel so confident in a similar situation probably here in the West.

Cairns does have a rough crowd though. Don't recall the word Bogan in use but perhaps that was because it became more in vogue later. Some of the pubs around town would be what today is described as Bogan.

Guest The Pom Queen
I am not convinced not locking the house or car is anything but inviting trouble. Are you suggesting it okay in Cairns? It likely is outside in Tablelands or similar, but even back in the 90's I'd be locking everything.

As for personal safety, there were definitely issues especially at night, but witnessed and heard first hands reports of tourists being harassed at the vert least. One bloke was running around stabbing unsuspecting people walking in the street, usually foreign back packers.

Personally only experienced medium level of agro from a drunken Pom back packer at The Wool Shed, but that was over dancing with a woman, whom he'd had his eye on and could have been anywhere.

Never locked them that's how much I trusted the area. Townsville was a different matter, although I still walked the streets at night (with my dog not the other) and felt safe.

Obviously if it was the 90's you lived in the area things have changed dramatically. Tourists did use to be harassed by aboriginals in the park drinking, but as mentioned earlier they move them on now and you don't see many down there. What people seem to forget is there is so much more to Cairns than just the esplanade in fact we hardly ever ventured there as it is full of tourists and backpackers, but it is lovely to know that Cairns is so beautiful that people come here to holiday.

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes there are two pubs opposite each other one the aboriginals went in and the other was the locals. It tends to be mixed now.

I suppose around the pub scene you will always see drunks, bogans, trouble. However, who lives in the Cairns CBD? Not families they all live in the suburbs which are beautiful.

Yes there are two pubs opposite each other one the aboriginals went in and the other was the locals. It tends to be mixed now.

I suppose around the pub scene you will always see drunks, bogans, trouble. However, who lives in the Cairns CBD? Not families they all live in the suburbs which are beautiful.

I'd love clients as yourself, if only I was a real estate agent in Cairns area. True believers.

I don't live in Cairns and never have but from the several times I have been there ( includng a couple of weeks at Trinity Beach a few months back) I would say it is every bit as beautiful as pomqueen says. Gorgeous place. I expect we will be up there again early next year.

I could't have said it better myself. Just bought a house at trinity park. If I had to leave cairns I would go kicking and screaming. I walk my dog every day and think how lucky I am to live in one of the beautiful places in the world, barrier reef one side and rain forest the other...Boring...rubbish

I could't have said it better myself. Just bought a house at trinity park. If I had to leave cairns I would go kicking and screaming. I walk my dog every day and think how lucky I am to live in one of the beautiful places in the world, barrier reef one side and rain forest the other...Boring...rubbish

And don't forget the Atherton Tablelands nearby. Absolutely beautiful there and another great contrast.

I've been to Cairns once and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful place and safe from what I could see. However, there are 2 negatives. One is all the roundabouts on the road north from Cairns (there must be about 20 within a few miles!). The other is the reason I could never live there - the heat and humidity. It was bad in October, I can't imagine what January is like. Having said that, I also find Sydney sweltering in the summer so I guess this is just down to personal preference.

Guest The Pom Queen
Be good to hear from folk actually living in Cairns and not passing through. A lot of positives to be said for FNQ. Who knows could even end up back there myself onetime. I have checked out for a few years business opportunities in Atherton Tablelands and beach apartments/houses for sale.

And why? If the people who were commenting were saying things like its a bogan place, it's boring, so and so suburb is bad then I could understand that they aren't qualified to comment, but most on here have said they have been there on holiday and loved it. The ones who hate it I have no issue with as long as they are clear they may have only spent a week there and visited X Y and Z and not A-Z. It's similar to the ones who hate Australia, it is so diverse, same as other States, Cities, Suburbs unless you have covered every inch of an area you can only say what you like, dislike rather than generalise about the area, country etc.

A number of us who live or have lived there have commented.

And why? If the people who were commenting were saying things like its a bogan place, it's boring, so and so suburb is bad then I could understand that they aren't qualified to comment, but most on here have said they have been there on holiday and loved it. The ones who hate it I have no issue with as long as they are clear they may have only spent a week there and visited X Y and Z and not A-Z. It's similar to the ones who hate Australia, it is so diverse, same as other States, Cities, Suburbs unless you have covered every inch of an area you can only say what you like, dislike rather than generalise about the area, country etc.

A number of us who live or have lived there have commented.

Obviously because a tourist with likely have a particular set of views differing from those that live there. No you don't have to cover every inch of a country to have a relevant view of the reality on the land. What an odd view and possible cheap shot. If that were the case, which it definitely isn't, nobody would be able to critique anywhere. There would be no such thing as travel writers voicing opinions . But as you say, a number of us whom have lived there have commented. I certainly see Cairns with eyes wide open and not through a tourist prism which ,may well differ from on the ground reality. Just as I have crossed people that both love and detest and somewhere in between in emotions regarding Cairns. At the end of the day we can only write out own findings and perceptions, a lot of which may well depend on past experience and amount travelled and ease with surroundings.

Usually places are cheaper for a reason. Cheap and real estate are not words that slip of the tongue in Australia.

..........agree that places are cheap for a reason....

..........but not that there isn't cheap realestate.....

...........it depends if the reasons are compatible to your lifestyle.....

...........if you don't need large shopping malls...

............restaurants and wine bars.....

............some of the rural towns do offer a pleasant alternative IMO....

............most little communities do have access to a dr....

.............schools......and basic shopping ime....

..............its if you need the trimmings......and are prepared to travel for them....

..............a rural community......has the cheaper options for housing.....

..........agree that places are cheap for a reason....

..........but not that there isn't cheap realestate.....

...........it depends if the reasons are compatible to your lifestyle.....

...........if you don't need large shopping malls...

............restaurants and wine bars.....

............some of the rural towns do offer a pleasant alternative IMO....

............most little communities do have access to a dr....

.............schools......and basic shopping ime....

..............its if you need the trimmings......and are prepared to travel for them....

..............a rural community......has the cheaper options for housing.....

Australia is somewhat rather unique in that while regional towns may be cheaper than the city, they are over priced in many instances and hardly cheap. Those locations where depopulation has long been an issue, may prove to be cheap, but not sure how sustainable for most folk.

Not forgetting towns can be very cliquey as well.

I have lived in Cairns for 7 years with my wife, we have a 6yo daughter and 3yo daughter. I have also lived in Melbourne, Ballarat, Gold Coast and Merimbula. I have travelled extensively throughout Australia with work.

Cairns is a regional city in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Boring I suggest is a state of mind. If you are looking to pursue the Australian obsession of sport (for which I have no time) then you would need to be in a capital city. If you have interest in European renaissance art then you won't find any here - try Florence. Alternatively, if you are interested in a regional local music scene, with excellent regional size venues and artists to match Cairns could be your place.

If you are looking for surf - there isn't any. If your looking for wonderful diving and excellent sea fishing Cairns is your place. If your looking for wonderful bush, it surrounds most capital cities, but Cairns does tropical, eucalypt and rain forest in easy driving.

16% of Cairns population is indigenous. The disadvantage certainly creates more homelessness and concomitant violence. However of urban areas, the most dangerous parts of Queensland are Fortitude Valley in Brisbane and Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. I do not think that Cairns has any more violence then a typical regional city in Australia, but I don't have stats for that.

I would strongly suggest that you visit any location before you commit your family to settling there.

The difference between an English town or city and Australia can be stark and confronting. Many things are the same, yet many things are very different. Everyone has a different set of criteria for those aspects of their life that have to be satisfied. Feel free to list them here, and those of us who live here can give you our highly subjective opinions on how and why we live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Personally I have no plans to ever leave Cairns.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We never felt unsafe at all during our visit to Cairns. We went to the night markets, but never stayed out really late as we have kids, but definitely didn't nervous walking around.

I think after 7 days there, we had seen most of what there was to see, and kept heading back to esplanade if we got stuck of things to do, so yes could get boring after a while.

But........we loved it x x x