Is TAFE the best option

Cherry Allen

We are moving over to Perth in November. My youngest daughter was 17 last week and has just finished year 5 at high school in Scotland and has now left, she has her exam results (7 National 5 passes). Have had a look at TAFE courses over there but there doesnt seem a lot of choice of subjects. It would be hard for her to go 'back to school' just for one year and try to catch up with what they are doing in order to get further quaifications, and thats an option she feels uncomfortable about. University courses seem to need A level type of qualifications (National 5s are like GCSEs). Is there any other type of colleges or is TAFE the only option? Fees are not an issue as we are all Aus citizens. I have tried emailing various education departments but I either get no response or a vague response.

What does she want to do for a career ?

I think that determines the course of action. If her career goals require university qualifications then she might be best placed trying to get her A levels before moving to Australia.

If she is more after a trade then TAFE is probably the right choice.

Previous advice feels good to me.

If if she wants a trade: go for TAFE

If she wants to go to university, she should do the last 2 years high school to get what she needs for university.

Otherwise stay in Scotland to do Highers / Advanced Highers.

Awkward time to move someone but there is never a good time! :-)

What does she want to do for a career ?

I think that determines the course of action. If her career goals require university qualifications then she might be best placed trying to get her A levels before moving to Australia.

If she is more after a trade then TAFE is probably the right choice.

She hasnt a clue what she wants to do. TAFE doesnt seem to have much choice of courses. Everything is booked for us to return in November and there is nowhere here for her to stay so staying for Highers isnt an option, especially as she has now left school and been signed off as such. We live very rurally and that is the only place for miles around. So it seems then that she will just have to pick anything at TAFE to get the further education she needs, and then maybe aim for Uni or an apprenticeship once she knows what she wants to do. She is too old to do 2 years at high school in Aus no and the thought of trying to restart at high school fills her with dread.

Thanks for the help parleycross and also srh82 :)

Some universities have a transition course/alternative pathway course that gives you a qualification for university entrance. http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Future-students/Domestic-students/Non-school-leavers/How-to-get-into-Murdoch/Alternative-entry-pathways/

This is the link for Murdoch University in Perth, but I understand that the other universities in Perth have the same sort of course. It might be worth having a look into this.

Some universities have a transition course/alternative pathway course that gives you a qualification for university entrance. http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Future-students/Domestic-students/Non-school-leavers/How-to-get-into-Murdoch/Alternative-entry-pathways/

This is the link for Murdoch University in Perth, but I understand that the other universities in Perth have the same sort of course. It might be worth having a look into this.

They do indeed. It's an excellent way of gaining entry to University, some really useful skills are taught. My eldest did it in semester 1 and is now studying for for her BA in semester 2.

Depends what she wants to do.

A number of TAFE colleges are closing down. About 30 across the country I believe.

TAFE use to be considered "a bit of a joke" back in the 1980's. Attitudes since then have changed but some employers have been slow to catch on.

I did a really intensive hospitality course for two years and it was excellent. But then some potential employers said it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

Then again, I did once get a job solely based on the TAFE qualification.

So works both ways.

Some good courses could be: hairdressing, hospitality, chef, bookkeeping and horticultural studies.

TAFE is fine for bookkeeping. But one step up to an accountant would need a university degree.

General accounting for a job is a bad idea anyway. There are thousands of Chinese and Indian accountants flooding the cities. To get ahead you would need a CPA qualification which is expensive and long winded.

Here in Adelaide we have what are called "Senior Colleges" such as Marsden Senior College, University Senior College and Eynsebury Senior College - they are like the old Sixth Form colleges - most I think are private, but fees are very reasonable and they offer a good alternative to going back to school for the last two years. Do they have anything similar in Perth?

Given that she has no clue I would recommend she takes a her time when moving here, go to open days, study days, visit a lot of different colleges/uni, get unpaid work placement for a week or so, interview people in areas she likes and do her research. Depending on what she decide on, there are many start dates and she is young. I work as a student advisor in Brisbane and I'm amazed at how many students are dropping out, with a huge student debt and no degree/diploma to show for it with the main reason being they didn't know what they were getting into. She can perhaps work part time until she starts studying.

http://www.gooduniversitiesguide.com.au/Latest-news/Getting-into-university/How-to-choose-a-course-if-you-re-not-sure-what-you-want-to-do#.V62il1fVNSU this site might be helpful

Edited by AnnetteV

She hasnt a clue what she wants to do. TAFE doesnt seem to have much choice of courses. Everything is booked for us to return in November and there is nowhere here for her to stay so staying for Highers isnt an option, especially as she has now left school and been signed off as such. We live very rurally and that is the only place for miles around. So it seems then that she will just have to pick anything at TAFE to get the further education she needs, and then maybe aim for Uni or an apprenticeship once she knows what she wants to do. She is too old to do 2 years at high school in Aus no and the thought of trying to restart at high school fills her with dread.

Thanks for the help parleycross and also srh82 :)

I know here in WA there are some colleges (e.g. Tuart College) that you can do year 11 and 12 and get the necessary qualifications for Uni entry - may be worth looking at that.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I am the OP but for some reason I cant log in through Facebook any more so have had to set up an account on here, hence the different name. Certainly a lot to think about, I will be asking the education dept to 'convert' her National 5 results to see what the equivalent is.

I know here in WA there are some colleges (e.g. Tuart College) that you can do year 11 and 12 and get the necessary qualifications for Uni entry - may be worth looking at that.

Canning College is the part of the same system at Tuart College and are on the campus of Curtin University. North Lake Senior Campus also take students of any age to study years 11 and 12.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I am the OP but for some reason I cant log in through Facebook any more so have had to set up an account on here, hence the different name. Certainly a lot to think about, I will be asking the education dept to 'convert' her National 5 results to see what the equivalent is.

Let us know how you get on with that please as it would be helpful for others in your situation.