New member - emigration process started

lawyerlady

Hi All!!My partner and I have started the process to emigrate from the UK to Brisbane. Looks to be a fairly long process with LOTS of paperwork needed!He is getting the Visa and I will be de facto spouse, since my specific legal qualifications arent recognised in Queensland :( we are shipping our furniture and also my 2 cats with us so any help/advice people have would be most welcome!!! In the meantime I shall have a nose round the other threads :)LL

Hi I'm looking to emigrate to Brisbane with my hubby and 2 kids. We have his mum and step dad out there and we are looking to move. Please can someone advise me what solicitor I can use to get me over there.....

Thanks

Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ,, Welcome to PIO. You have picked a great place to migrate to, Brisbane is awesome.

Lots of luck with everything, the visa process can be daunting but its all worth it in the end..

Cal x

Hi Thanks for the reply!

Yes it is daunting - mainly the paperwork that you need and especially since my OH is useless with paperwork lol! But we shall press on.

How long have you been in Brisbane? Best/Worst things about it? And hardest thing about emigrating?

xx

Hi I'm looking to emigrate to Brisbane with my hubby and 2 kids. We have his mum and step dad out there and we are looking to move. Please can someone advise me what solicitor I can use to get me over there.....

Thanks

Xxx

You need to contact a migration agent - I think there are plenty of suggestions on the forum of ones to use. You dont need a solicitor for it at all.

Good luck :)

x

You need to contact a migration agent - I think there are plenty of suggestions on the forum of ones to use. You dont need a solicitor for it at all.

Good luck :)

x

Thank you so much....

Do you know any migration agents that would help?

Kind regards

Xx

Thank you so much....

Do you know any migration agents that would help?

Kind regards

Xx

There are quite a few - we are using The Down Under Centre but a google will find ones that might be nearer to you/better suited. There is a part of the forum for migration and there are loads of agents listed there so have a nose :)

x

Hi Thanks for the reply!

Yes it is daunting - mainly the paperwork that you need and especially since my OH is useless with paperwork lol! But we shall press on.

How long have you been in Brisbane? Best/Worst things about it? And hardest thing about emigrating?

xx

We moved almost 10 years ago and haven't regretted anything yet.

Its hard landing somewhere that everything is alien to you, but it is fun exploring and finding areas, shops, etc.. Homesickness and missing friends / family can be tough and its quite normal to feel 'up and down' for a while..

Best things about moving here , warmer weather, cheap / free days out, better quality family time, the list could go on,,lol....

Cal x

Maybe for you but that doesn't go for everyone! My Neighbour Is Having A Nightmare. The Older You Get the Worse it Gets In Australia.The Only Country I have Ever Lived in,That Classes It's Aged that are not Self Funded as a burden. This Coalition Government is 10times worse than the Tories in the UK.The Health Service is Third World,The TV,Mobile Phone Service,the new NBN in Queensland Sunshine coast.Is 3rd world.Bulk Billing gone, just to get to see a doctor costs $110 before priscribtions or any tests or Xrays.The Elderly are Dying waiting years on waiting lists.We have Just been told to Pay $6000 each eye,to get our cateracts done,or wait 5 years.

Still have bulk billing, went to see GP last week didn't pay a cent!

Yes, same here.

Neighbour only had a wait of 3 months for her cataract op.

Don't know where exactly Zack lives but it sounds like it's in the middle of nowhere with no proper facilities for the elderly.

We moved almost 10 years ago and haven't regretted anything yet.

Its hard landing somewhere that everything is alien to you, but it is fun exploring and finding areas, shops, etc.. Homesickness and missing friends / family can be tough and its quite normal to feel 'up and down' for a while..

Best things about moving here , warmer weather, cheap / free days out, better quality family time, the list could go on,,lol....

Cal x

The last line is what I am looking for - we want to start a family when we move and one of the main things is the ease of outdoor life and family things (camping, beaches etc etc) unfortunately the weather makes a lot of things so difficult to plan and do.

I am excited... just got to break the news to family..

xx

Still have bulk billing, went to see GP last week didn't pay a cent!

Yes i saw my GP just before we went away and he Bulk Billed that appointment. Although sometimes there is a 'gap fee' costing me personally about $30, normally if im there for more than a repeat script or quick injection.

Cal x

The last line is what I am looking for - we want to start a family when we move and one of the main things is the ease of outdoor life and family things (camping, beaches etc etc) unfortunately the weather makes a lot of things so difficult to plan and do.

xx

You cannot go wrong in my opinion if your the outdoorsy type, there is loads to do and it still amazes me how scenery and surroundings can change in only a short distance, certainly makes exploring lots of fun. The climate is pretty good overall, July is pretty cold though (thank god for a wood fire! lol )

Lots of things are catered towards kids, free activities in the school holidays, amazing free play parks and more after curricular sports than a anyone could manage..

4WDriving and camping is common for families and there are some great beach side campsites for long weekends..

Cal x

You cannot go wrong in my opinion if your the outdoorsy type, there is loads to do and it still amazes me how scenery and surroundings can change in only a short distance, certainly makes exploring lots of fun. The climate is pretty good overall, July is pretty cold though (thank god for a wood fire! lol )

Lots of things are catered towards kids, free activities in the school holidays, amazing free play parks and more after curricular sports than a anyone could manage..

4WDriving and camping is common for families and there are some great beach side campsites for long weekends..

Cal x

We have already decided what pickup we are getting (the important stuff lol) so we can fit all the camping gear into it. Im not really a pub/club person anymore, more a mates round and BBQ/dinner and so on. So the lifestyle suits me to the ground. Its great to hear positive stories from people - I hear if you dont really immerse yourself in the aussie life then it can be quite difficult. I dont watch TV/soaps etc so I wont be missing the East Enders/Corrie/Emmerdale etc etc. Netflix is enough for me if I really need an hours TV :) x

Im sure you will enjoy it, it sounds like QLD life will tick most of your boxes.. We have a Ford Ranger and Landcruiser troop carrier and often take the boat with us (only a small one), there are lots of islands accessible only by boat that are awesome camping spots.

Most of my friends i made via work or the kids... I found you smile and chat and they will smile and chat back, the majority of aussies ive met are intrigued to your story and i found many are only to happy to help out with the kids if i need help with anything as they understand we have no family here to fall back on.

TV is a bit bobbins and takes some getting used to but we dont pay a licence fee so cant complain too much,lol. We dont have foxtel, netflix or anything and find things to watch when we want TV time but most of the time we are outside. In fact we have recently had a TV put in the patio as we spend most of our time out here of an evening so can watch the news etc..

Cal x

Im sure you will enjoy it, it sounds like QLD life will tick most of your boxes.. We have a Ford Ranger and Landcruiser troop carrier and often take the boat with us (only a small one), there are lots of islands accessible only by boat that are awesome camping spots.

Most of my friends i made via work or the kids... I found you smile and chat and they will smile and chat back, the majority of aussies ive met are intrigued to your story and i found many are only to happy to help out with the kids if i need help with anything as they understand we have no family here to fall back on.

TV is a bit bobbins and takes some getting used to but we dont pay a licence fee so cant complain too much,lol. We dont have foxtel, netflix or anything and find things to watch when we want TV time but most of the time we are outside. In fact we have recently had a TV put in the patio as we spend most of our time out here of an evening so can watch the news etc..

Cal x

OMG we want the Ford Ranger Wildtrack!! How do you get on with it? Do you like driving it? Ugh I will have to tell OH that we need a little boat - right now he wants a Harley. And dogs lolol.

I love the sound of the lifestyle - Just being able to take the kids outside and play or go to the park or beach etc. So much better for them IMHO. I am a pretty friendly, chatty person so I think I will make friends and it is nice that there is such a community spirit there. We have a few friends out in Brissy already and other parts of Aus so they are already being super helpful offering for us to stay there till we sort a rental and also for us to ship stuff to them before we go etc.

xx

Guest The Pom Queen
Maybe for you but that doesn't go for everyone! My Neighbour Is Having A Nightmare. The Older You Get the Worse it Gets In Australia.The Only Country I have Ever Lived in,That Classes It's Aged that are not Self Funded as a burden. This Coalition Government is 10times worse than the Tories in the UK.The Health Service is Third World,The TV,Mobile Phone Service,the new NBN in Queensland Sunshine coast.Is 3rd world.Bulk Billing gone, just to get to see a doctor costs $110 before priscribtions or any tests or Xrays.The Elderly are Dying waiting years on waiting lists.We have Just been told to Pay $6000 each eye,to get our cateracts done,or wait 5 years.

Lol Zack, you really are on a downer at the moment aren't you. I do choose to pay to see a dr but there is a bulk practice right down the road. Even then I only pay $65 so if they are charging you $110 you need to go elsewhere. I've had over 60 MRI's and CT in the last few years and have only had to pay for one of them.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes i saw my GP just before we went away and he Bulk Billed that appointment. Although sometimes there is a 'gap fee' costing me personally about $30, normally if im there for more than a repeat script or quick injection.

Cal x

Also if you are like me and end up spending ex amount on medical fees in a year you end up getting most of it back with the safety net.

OMG we want the Ford Ranger Wildtrack!! How do you get on with it? Do you like driving it? Ugh I will have to tell OH that we need a little boat - right now he wants a Harley. And dogs lolol.

I love the sound of the lifestyle - Just being able to take the kids outside and play or go to the park or beach etc. So much better for them IMHO. I am a pretty friendly, chatty person so I think I will make friends and it is nice that there is such a community spirit there. We have a few friends out in Brissy already and other parts of Aus so they are already being super helpful offering for us to stay there till we sort a rental and also for us to ship stuff to them before we go etc.

xx

We love the Ranger, we actually flew down to Adelaide for it and had a road trip back to Brissy.. Ive had it a few years now and would quite happily keep it until it dies. Hubby is a diesel mechanic so on the ball with vehicles and wanted this specific model / engine ,hence the distance we traveled we to buy it ! lol... The wildtrack is nice my friend had one but the old model and she loved it.

Lots of people here have Harleys or an easy rider , hubby used to have a sports bike but the roads are dodgy here and drivers even 'dodgier' so it became to much of a risk and he sold up. He started going off road with our son but in the end fishing and his boat had a bigger appeal so that why he spends his spare time doing now.

If you don't mind making conversation or 'speaking the first' word ,you will be fine. Having friends here will certainly play a big part and be a good help, take up as many invites as you can and put yourself out there, you will soon work out which people are worth striking up a good friendship with..

Cal x

We love the Ranger, we actually flew down to Adelaide for it and had a road trip back to Brissy.. Ive had it a few years now and would quite happily keep it until it dies. Hubby is a diesel mechanic so on the ball with vehicles and wanted this specific model / engine ,hence the distance we traveled we to buy it ! lol... The wildtrack is nice my friend had one but the old model and she loved it.

Lots of people here have Harleys or an easy rider , hubby used to have a sports bike but the roads are dodgy here and drivers even 'dodgier' so it became to much of a risk and he sold up. He started going off road with our son but in the end fishing and his boat had a bigger appeal so that why he spends his spare time doing now.

If you don't mind making conversation or 'speaking the first' word ,you will be fine. Having friends here will certainly play a big part and be a good help, take up as many invites as you can and put yourself out there, you will soon work out which people are worth striking up a good friendship with..

Cal x

Im not sure how long bf will hanker for a Harley for - I think I could persuade him with boats to lovely camping spots though ;)

I have a Ford in the UK and I am super hay with it hence choosing the Ranger for Aus.

I am pretty keen to get my own circle of girlfriends away from bf mates partners - they are nice but I would rather choose and foster my own friendships. It sounds like such a lovely place to live...

How did you break the news to family that you were going?

xx

xx

I will throw a word of caution in on this.

I am am very much an outdoor person. To the extent I built a career in it.

Of the 13 countries I have lived / worked in, Australia was by far the worst for living an outdoor life. Summer was simply too hot. Even the beach is uncomfortable when it's 40. Then winter can have very extreme weather. There is a good reason why, after 8 years living next to a WA beach for 8 years, we could guarantee it would be empty for a large part of the year.

As for camping. Fine in spring, "OK" in Autumn. Summer and winter forget it.

I will throw a word of caution in on this.

I am am very much an outdoor person. To the extent I built a career in it.

Of the 13 countries I have lived / worked in, Australia was by far the worst for living an outdoor life. Summer was simply too hot. Even the beach is uncomfortable when it's 40. Then winter can have very extreme weather. There is a good reason why, after 8 years living next to a WA beach for 8 years, we could guarantee it would be empty for a large part of the year.

As for camping. Fine in spring, "OK" in Autumn. Summer and winter forget it.

She's going to Brisbane. Climate there a bit different to Perth, with less extremes of temperatures but more humidity. And how you react to the weather is very individual anyway. I get sick of hearing it's too hot to go out in summer when I live here and go out fine in summer. In fact I love the outdoor pools here but won't go near them unless it's over 35 so love the hot days and my trips to the pool. I don't do camping but know people who go pretty much year round here in SA so that's possible as well.

xx

Outdoorsy you say?

Very small snippet of random shenans of my family and I.

So much free stuff to do ... the above is only scratching the surface of what we've been up to ... kicking myself for not always having my GoPro on me.

I must admit in the 10 years i have been here i have come across maybe 10 days were its been 'too hot'' to do anything other than drag my butt 100 yds up to the pool. In comparison to the amount of days it was ''too wet'' or 'too cold'' to do things in the UK its not even worth worrying about IMO and there's no doubt if you like outdoor activities, especially water ones ,QLD will tick your boxes.

Cal x

Archived