How long is a standard lease?

tonks

Hi,

My Husband and I are in the very early stages of considering a move to Oz. One thing that is important to us is security of a home. We are a young family with 2 children under 3 and we aren't in a position to buy for several years. We will therefore have to rent for quite some time. In the UK we have a very secure rented house, we rent from family and have no risk of having to move.

What I would like to know is how long a standard lease is if landlords often decide to sell? Are we likely to be able to find a property (Sunshine Coast) where we can plan on staying for several years (at least 5)? It seems that a lot of properties are owned by a developer, which I imagine increases security as they aren't private landlords as such?

Thanks!

Lease is reviewed at 6 months however you should be a very attractive proposition for any landlord and agent especially in SC where property market is a little slower. Most investors are in it for the long term so if you can offer up to say 5 years then they will be very happy and leave you alone but also provide them financial security.

Tip, look at newer properties if going for 5 years as will not require much maintanance, compromise is usually a smaller plot.

S

with new tenants, we usually sign them up initially for 6 months to see how they are; it is very hard to evict tenants partway through a lease if they aren't good ones, so the 6 months is so we can choose not to renew if we don't like them. After that, the agent asks me how long I want to offer them a renewal for, I normally offer a year but I'll tell the agent to ask the tenant how long they actually want.

You are unlikely to be offered a 5 year lease (and frankly, your situation may change so you don't want to be lumped with a long term contract); however, 2 years is not unknown. Make your wishes clear to the agent and you may be able to get a longer term than normal one.

if landlords often decide to sell?

If you are concerned because you think you will be evicted by the owner, ask the agent if the owner is a buy-and-hold property investor (ie has several investment properties). These types of investors are unlikely to sell in the short term as they are going for capital growth.

BB

The length of a lease is that which can be agreed between you and the agent/owner though 6 & 12 month leases are the norm. Lease renewal is also the time for rent review so a long lease may have to have some form of annual rent increase locked in, however agents may be reluctant to give longer than 12 months as they lose out on the lease renewal commission.

If a property is sold during your term of lease then it has to be sold with sitting tenants.

However as others have said regarding the owner liking the tenant then this is reciprocal and also with you liking the property, neighbours, area too, so locking in a 5 yr lease in the first instance would not, I believe, be a prudent idea.

Good luck with everything.

If a property is sold during your term of lease then it has to be sold with sitting tenants.

Is this the case in QLD? I wasn't sure as in VIC tenants can be evicted mid-lease if the owner wishes to inhabit the property (hence my comment about long term investors above)

BB

We have justed moved into a leased property our first since we moved from UK to Perth. We got a 12 month lease, although originally it was for 6 months, but we asked for a longer one and got it. Ideally we want to stay in one place, and not feel as if continually living out of suitcases, so 12 months suited us better.

The rules vary from state to state. In SA our 12 month lease was never renewed the landlords simply let it run to a periodic lease which means in effect they could give us three months notice at any time, it suited us as we are moving soon and only need to give them a months notice. However initially it was unsettling as they also had the property valued and didn't communicate anything to the agent or us about their intentions.

We have decided to move into our own home which was rented out so will not be renewing the lease of that tenant, There are few long term securities with renting here I'm afraid.

Thank you everyone! I think I worded the question poorly, rather than looking for a 5 year tenancy, I meant more are we likely to have to move within 5 years or are most landlords in it for the long term, which you have answered perfectly for me!

I lived in 5 properties in 8 years in Queensland. Moved due to owners moving back in/lack of maintenance/outrageous rent hikes (one put rent up from $500 to $800). Advice about asking wether it is a buy to let property is good... You may be lucky - I negotiated an 18 month lease for our last property - moving is so expensive and time consuming. Lots of properties to let at the market so you should be in a good position to negotiate terms.

In Queensland, once a lease expires, tenants go on a "periodic tenancy". Then the lease can be terminated by either party with two weeks notice. So the tenant is secure as long as he/she has a normal lease. It's normal to give tenants a six month lease initially. However, there is downward pressure on rents in Brisbane right now, so tenants have more bargaining power - especially if they can provide proof that they are likely to be decent tenants, a landlord may accept a twelve month lease if the tenants want it. Remember though that breaking a lease can cost you a lot of money.

Archived