how does Brexit affect my move??????

Barry1986

How does Brexit affect my move to Australia?? Will it affect it in anyway? Or not much at all??

just after people's views on this matter.

I can't see how it will affect it in any way apart from currency fluctuations caused by the current jitters and hysterics. I don't know when you are moving but, as long as it's not tomorrow, all sorts of other things could be affecting currency by the time of your move.

Shares have recovered nearly half the initial loss and pound back up to where it was earlier this year. So, don't panic.

In about 2-3 weeks, everyone will have forgotten about it as it is going to take years of going on as normal for anything to start to happen.

Good question. I am hoping the fallout will propel my son and family back here! Depends on how far advanced your plans are and what your circumstances are. Whether you intend to sell a house in the UK and buy in Oz etc etc. Whatever the result of our federal elections on 2 July, I don't see it affecting you much. Brexit has made it more likely that Turnbull will win, although no one can predict the Senate result. But both major parties agree on immigration. Labor, if elected, would be more likely to restrict 457 visas. I would expect that it (Brexit) has suddenly become a major issue for the millions of Brits who have retired, settled down etc in EU countries. Presumably before long they will be foreigners. I do expect that there will be increased numbers of young Brits who will now want to emigrate and leave Blighty behind them. Britain's loss and our gain.

why? There is a flight to safety, especially to the Greenback. But we are talking about crossrates. Both the pound and the Oz dollar fell heavily against the Greenback yesterday, with the pound falling more heavily. Australians reportedly clamouring to buy pounds today. But it is all very unpredictable. Australian trade with Britain is now less than 3% of total trade. But of course we are a small, open trading economy and highly vulnerable to global turmoil, not least because of our heavy dependence on China. As ever, the exchange rate will depend on the judgement of the money markets. All that can be predicted is that there will be a high level of volatility.

Hanson - not a joke at all. She has a good chance of getting a Senate seat in Queensland in a double dissolution federal election. About 4% of the vote might be enough to get her a quota. Even worse, she could end up holding the balance of power in the Senate. Queensland is a very rural state - five times the population of Victoria. Has a long history of populism and nativism. (The very sentiments that fuelled Brexit, no?)