Ladies - Marks & Spencer's Undies

Marisawright

As you know, M&S knickers are legendary so naturally when I needed some new ones, I bought a pack at M&S. At the time, I was disappointed - the material was thin, more like the kind of panties you'd buy at Big W than David Jones.

Then in the recent debate about M&S and it's troubles, I saw a couple of tweets/emails along the lines of "bring back proper M&S underwear and bras that fit!".

So the question is - where do British women buy their undies these days? Are M&S panties not what they were, or did I just pick up the wrong style?

As you know, M&S knickers are legendary so naturally when I needed some new ones, I bought a pack at M&S. At the time, I was disappointed - the material was thin, more like the kind of panties you'd buy at Big W than David Jones.

Then in the recent debate about M&S and it's troubles, I saw a couple of tweets/emails along the lines of "bring back proper M&S underwear and bras that fit!".

So the question is - where do British women buy their undies these days? Are M&S panties not what they were, or did I just pick up the wrong style?

Buy sloggies from Debenhams, much better quality for boring basics. Bought them as usual last year and also bought some from M&S, the latter were rubbish.

Buy sloggies from Debenhams, much better quality for boring basics. Bought them as usual last year and also bought some from M&S, the latter were rubbish.

Glad I'm not imagining it, I'm sure M&S undies were miles better when I used to buy them on holidays in years gone by.

I was in M&S with my SIL who was buying some clothes before she went on holiday to Italy. I can honestly say that I didn't see anything I wanted for myself. I did see a nice leather handbag but it was really expensive.

I like some of their stuff but it's expensive. For many years, every time I came back to the UK for a holiday, I would bring as empty a suitcase as I could manage - then I'd fill up with M&S clothes and Boots cosmetics, toiletries etc. Then one year, I think about five years ago, I realised that for what I was paying in M&S, I could be shopping in David Jones!

There is a M&S outlet store in Portsmouth which has really good prices.

I've given M and S the sack. I used to buy loads of stuff online until about 12 months ago when I noticed prices going up and quality down. Debenhams seem better now but I still check the website. You now cannot buy direct from the uk either but have to buy inferior stuff for the Australian market. They have got it wrong,sadly for them.

I've given M and S the sack. I used to buy loads of stuff online until about 12 months ago when I noticed prices going up and quality down. Debenhams seem better now but I still check the website. You now cannot buy direct from the uk either but have to buy inferior stuff for the Australian market. They have got it wrong,sadly for them.

Are you sure it's different stuff for the Australian market? Some of the quality in the store itself is a bit questionable.

Although I decided ages ago that M&S are a bit expensive, I have never been able to "let go" my mum's view that M&S is the place to go for quality clothes, so I find myself going in there to try on stuff all the time. I've discovered that their sizing is peculiar, to say the least.

I liked a dress and wasn't sure what size I'd need, so I was pessimistic and picked up a 16 as well as a 14. Even the 14 was just a bit too big, much to my surprise, so I got a size 12. The shoulders sat nicely, but the waist and hips were bigger than the 16! I showed it to the assistant and she put it aside with a note, but she wasn't surprised - I got the impression it wasn't an unusual occurrence.

A few months later, I wanted to buy a pair of pull-on trousers but they didn't have my size in store so I thought I'd check online. Lo and behold, in the reviews people were complaining they'd ordered two pairs exactly the same size, only to find one had legs two inches longer than the other etc. So I went back to the store, grabbed a handful of sizes 14 and 16 in the style I wanted, and tried them all on. Sure enough, there was a variation within the sizes - one size 16 was far too big, the other was almost right, one size 14 was too tight but the other was perfect. I felt like Goldilocks with the porridge!

I get mine from M&S and am happy with them. I picked up a few nice T-shirts in there when back in the UK recently, and thought they had a nice range for the summer season.

I also order online, as it all comes from UK warehouse so no different to what's in the shops.

Edited by vickyplum

• 2 weeks later...

Before I returned, returnees and residents warned me that Boots was now very expensive, and Sparks sold expensive rubbish. Their clothing (made offshore?), certainly is. I found taupe slacks for £45 and they were tatty. I found a new-new! donated pair in Heart Foundation for 5 squids. Far superior in quality.

The game now is minimum outlay (quality), maximum return (profit). I'm not saying what undies I wear, but they are based on the fact that my alluring siren days (if they ever existed) are well and truly over. (And I wish I had kept my military 'mummy don't trust me' undies for the UK Winter. They were bullet proof!).