Advice on moving Mum to Aus please,

Dugong

Hi everyone,

I'm just after some advice on parent visas please- I've looked online on the immi website but not sure where to start!

Here are the details:

I have my Aus citizenship (been here nearly 8 yrs with my partner)

Mum is 65, recently widowed and in good health

I am her only remaining relative, (only child)

Would she be able to come out on a 12 month tourist visa and apply onshore as she is really keen to sell up in the UK.

Many thanks

Rachel

Some thoughts...

Technically this would be possible unless your mother is granted a visa with a no further stay condition. However, the parent visa has a waiting time that would exceed your mother's remaining life. She would be granted a bridging visa but this would not allow her to work, make it difficult to secure any form of credit, access healthcare or establish herself. Plus, it would prohibit leaving Australia unless a Bridging Visa B were granted - and this is only granted when there are compelling reasons. Also, your mother would not be able to ship her stuff because she doesn't have a substantive visa. As an Australian citizen you could probably do this for her, but that may involve making a false declaration that the property is yours.

This is a time when it might be sensible to take advice from a migration agent to get a full understanding of the opportunities and restrictions that might lie ahead.

Thanks Quinkla,

I have also read about the contributory parent visa route too- as you suggest I feel the expertise of a migration agent will help us navigate through the options.

thankyou for your reply,

rachel

Some thoughts...

Technically this would be possible unless your mother is granted a visa with a no further stay condition. However, the parent visa has a waiting time that would exceed your mother's remaining life. She would be granted a bridging visa but this would not allow her to work, make it difficult to secure any form of credit, access healthcare or establish herself. Plus, it would prohibit leaving Australia unless a Bridging Visa B were granted - and this is only granted when there are compelling reasons. Also, your mother would not be able to ship her stuff because she doesn't have a substantive visa. As an Australian citizen you could probably do this for her, but that may involve making a false declaration that the property is yours.

This is a time when it might be sensible to take advice from a migration agent to get a full understanding of the opportunities and restrictions that might lie ahead.

A couple of comments in reply:

> How can you say an application for a non contributory visa will take longer than the applicant's remaining life? Presently subclass 804 applications are coming through in about 10 years. Comments noting a processing time of "up to 30 years" on DIBP communications are (IMHO) intended to discourage applications under this subclass.

> BVAs granted to subclass 804 visa applicants do not have restrictions as to working in Australia.

Best regards.

This is is why I would always advise consulting a migration agent, even just for advice. I made the decision not to include my adult daughter (working part-time) on my visa application after looking through posts on migration websites. As I had made this decision (before I submitted paperwork) my partner paid for a consultation with a migration agent who advised him to include her on application. I had to redo my application and have her documents certified before submitting the visa application. She was granted a visa.

At least one of the comments in your post is clearly incorrect.

Working on a BVA - not the big point in my post but I will defer to your better knowledge (I did suggest speaking to an agent)

But just because grants are being given now to applicants who applied ten years ago does not mean that applicants today can expect a ten year wait. DIBP seems to adhere quite closely to estimates of processing times given at the time of application. But who can see into the future?

Easy, if she really wants to uproot herself from all that she's known and built up over a lifetime, just apply for the CPV and bob's your uncle. She can pop over for visits in the meantime then she will have no worries about possibly being deported down the track for either failing a medical or making a false claim on her entry documents.