Mission Accomplished

bensdad

Well time sure flies when your having fun they say, last week it was mission accomplished for me and the wife, we got our citizenships and I must admit I even enjoyed the ceremony.

So those of you that know me know that I only do a yearly update , however I think this will be my last update, I will still lurk and read posts but not so much to post about.

I just want to reassure those people who are insecure, worried, homesick, fed up, bored etc etc just keep going things will work out for you in the long run.

Many times I've battled the pull back to the UK , however common sense has prevailed and I'm still here living in WA.

I'm not going to brag but wanted to share our accomplishments with you to show it can be done.

We arrived in November 2011 with approx $20,000 to our name, 4 suitcases and 10 small tea chest boxes which turned up 8 weeks late lol.

In the time here we have found work, then when I lost my job I started my own business which touch wood is doing well.

Built our own house with a pool, nice new car, boat, plus a few toys. We have managed this by embracing what Australia had to offer us and worked hard.

No it might not be all that it's cracked up to be here in WA but it's a hell of a lot better than what the UK could offer me.

So if your feeling down go and do something completely Australian that you couldn't do back in the UK, crank up the stereo with a good Aussie song crack open a beer and take a look around you, worked for me in my darkest hours.

Good luck to everyone out there and as Bob Marleys song 3 little birds said, "don't worry bout a thing............."

Much love Chris x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

Well time sure flies when your having fun they say, last week it was mission accomplished for me and the wife, we got our citizenships and I must admit I even enjoyed the ceremony.

So those of you that know me know that I only do a yearly update , however I think this will be my last update, I will still lurk and read posts but not so much to post about.

I just want to reassure those people who are insecure, worried, homesick, fed up, bored etc etc just keep going things will work out for you in the long run.

Many times I've battled the pull back to the UK , however common sense has prevailed and I'm still here living in WA.

I'm not going to brag but wanted to share our accomplishments with you to show it can be done.

We arrived in November 2011 with approx $20,000 to our name, 4 suitcases and 10 small tea chest boxes which turned up 8 weeks late lol.

In the time here we have found work, then when I lost my job I started my own business which touch wood is doing well.

Built our own house with a pool, nice new car, boat, plus a few toys. We have managed this by embracing what Australia had to offer us and worked hard.

No it might not be all that it's cracked up to be here in WA but it's a hell of a lot better than what the UK could offer me.

So if your feeling down go and do something completely Australian that you couldn't do back in the UK, crank up the stereo with a good Aussie song crack open a beer and take a look around you, worked for me in my darkest hours.

Good luck to everyone out there and as Bob Marleys song 3 little birds said, "don't worry bout a thing............."

Much love Chris x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

good to hear from you ... Health and Happiness in the future ...

We have managed this by embracing what Australia had to offer us

I really like this line.

I have my own concerns about our coming migration, and it seems that lots of people expect the "dream" without changing themselves, and end up disappointed.

For us I was asked how moving would make for supporting the Ashes and Rugby Union. I am making the point that I expect my children (3 & 2) to gain their feeling of nationality in Australia, and as such I will need to take the lead and swap to the green & gold over the red & white. To me that is the sort of levels of embracing that is needed to allow us to fit in and make it work.

Heartening to see that you have made it work for you, congratulations!!!

• Like 1

Guest hill billy

My uncle asked me who I was going to support in the cricket when we were emigrating almost 35 years ago, I told him straight away, Australia.

• 1 year later...

Oh well thought I wouldn't be doing this again but here we are September 17 and still living here in WA, but boy what a year we've had !

After feeling unwell last August - September time I was admitted to hospital for a leg infection, whilst in hospital the hernia I'd had for years decided to play up and was sent for scans etc. Unfortunately for me my hernia had become strangulated without me realising and as a result of this my small bowel had died and therefore needed to be removed as a matter of urgency as my tummy had turned a real dark blackish colour.

So two operation's later to cut out my small bowel , rejoin what was left and repair my hernia I found myself bed ridden for the next couple of months , and then started an extensive spell of rehab. All in all I was in Fiona Stanley for nearly 4 1/2 months and nearly died 3 times.

Having come to terms with this i've spent the last 6 months recovering at home and generally trying to get back to normality. However this experience has made me realise that life is too short and has subsequently led me to wanting to return back to the UK to spend time with my grandchildren and mother who is now nearly 80.

So i've gone from being relatively happy living here to very unhappy and wanting to return to the UK and live.

We will see what happens but at least I'm still breathing and getting back to good health.

Thanks for reading  

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that the rollercoaster has been going down for you all this year, it sounds like a nightmare,  but glad that you have made it out of the woods and are now on the up again! It's funny how life's curve balls can make us take new stock of what we have in life so all the best with your next adventure!

• Like 2

Good to hear you pulled through the medical issues and are back on your feet. If you can't move back to the UK what are the chances of you making yearly visits to catch up with people?
Cal x

I think that will be the logical option to be honest. We have too much here by way of contents pets cars etc to think about also knowing my wife would be unhappy makes me think that regular visits back are probably my only answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Really feel for you, it was going so well. It's horrible having a foot in both camps and not knowing, or being able, to fully commit. I'm in the same boat myself. I've just been back to the UK for 2 weeks, some stuff reinforced why I miss the place, some stuff I'm glad I never have to deal with anymore. But, I've made a commitment to do it more regularly anyway. Good luck.

8 hours ago, bensdad said:

I think that will be the logical option to be honest. We have too much here by way of contents pets cars etc to think about also knowing my wife would be unhappy makes me think that regular visits back are probably my only answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance the family could visit you too?