Whats your hidden gem?

VERYSTORMY

Not so much a hidden gems, but being a Yorkshire girl, there are so many places I love!

Saltaire and Salts Mill - there is something so lovely about walking through the old textile mill in summer looking at all the books and the strong smell of the lillies in the sun on the window sills.

Malham Cove - walking the limestone paths on the top of Malham cove and down to the waterfalls at Janet's Foss.

Haworth - I love my local village of Haworth, the cobbled Main Street at Xmas, lit with fairy lights and sprinkled with snow it's the home of the Bronte parsonage and so much literary history. 

Ilkley/York - Betty's tearooms are my favourite treat 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toots said:

My sister from Edinburgh is on holiday with us just now and she was telling me about Dean Village.  I remember walking through the village over 40 years ago with my brother when he was a student at Edinburgh Uni.  

Dean Village was a prosperous hamlet for over 800 years.  What's left of it is a 19th century village that was famous for its water mills utilising the strong currents of the city's river Leith.  It's close to the city centre and just a 5 minute walk from Princes Street. 

dean1.jpg

dean2.jpg

dean3.jpg

dean4.jpg

dean5.jpg

I still have lots of places near here to visit, and this is another! I went to the Christmas Markets in Edinburgh with a friend, which was lovely. I'm slowly getting out and about to these places.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 04:17, Toots said:

My sister from Edinburgh is on holiday with us just now and she was telling me about Dean Village.  I remember walking through the village over 40 years ago with my brother when he was a student at Edinburgh Uni.  

Dean Village was a prosperous hamlet for over 800 years.  What's left of it is a 19th century village that was famous for its water mills utilising the strong currents of the city's river Leith.  It's close to the city centre and just a 5 minute walk from Princes Street. 

dean1.jpg

dean2.jpg

dean3.jpg

dean4.jpg

dean5.jpg

Its a sort of flemish medieval place.  Can't wait until my kids are moved out so I can explore this wonderful sceptered Isle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This is an old thread but I was just talking to my sister and she had been for a long walk around the area where she lives in Edinburgh.  Years and years ago when our brother was a student he rented a room in this street in the middle of the city.  My sister had a walk down the street and it brought back memories of him.  

Circus Lane is indeed a hidden gem.

circus lane edinburgh1.jpg

circus lane edinburgh2.jpg

circus lane3.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toots said:

This is an old thread but I was just talking to my sister and she had been for a long walk around the area where she lives in Edinburgh.  Years and years ago when our brother was a student he rented a room in this street in the middle of the city.  My sister had a walk down the street and it brought back memories of him.  

Circus Lane is indeed a hidden gem.

circus lane edinburgh1.jpg

circus lane edinburgh2.jpg

circus lane3.jpg

Very pretty 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My favourite ones we've done since we've been back are (1) East Yorks coast e.g. started off in Scarborough which is OK but Robin Hood's Bay, Staithes, Whitby, Filey, Runswick Bay & Cayton Bay (both unbelievable), (2) Settle (gorgeous), (3) Anglesey is remarkable, (4) Cornwall simply ace. The Lakes is superb but ridiculously busy. Bakewell and the Peak District is also superb.

• Like 1