Whats your hidden gem?

VERYSTORMY

We are enjoying get out and about and looking forward to seeing lots of the UK. So, it got me thinking.

What is the interesting place / lovely place that is near you in the UK that most don't seem to know about?

Here in Windsor, we have lots of people come to see the castle and things, but hardly any realise that a 5 minute walk from the castle there is one of the most picturesque parts of the Thames with stunning country side and loads of swans gliding down the river and even red squirrels.

When we first started exploring we didnt have a car and later when we did, we still used the trains and explored on foot. We picked up train timetables and maps to identify small towns and villages dotted across Berkshire, found a lot, read on google and then explored away. You'd be surprised how many wonderful little places you find doing it this way, and we loved it

Happy explores to you!!!

KnK

We are enjoying get out and about and looking forward to seeing lots of the UK. So, it got me thinking.

What is the interesting place / lovely place that is near you in the UK that most don't seem to know about?

Here in Windsor, we have lots of people come to see the castle and things, but hardly any realise that a 5 minute walk from the castle there is one of the most picturesque parts of the Thames with stunning country side and loads of swans gliding down the river and even red squirrels.

Are you sure? The red squirrel is only found on a couple of Islands off the south coast, Scotland and Anglesey I believe though I understand that they are coming back into the far north of England. If you have spotted some in Berkshire that would be a surprise.

Are you sure? The red squirrel is only found on a couple of Islands off the south coast, Scotland and Anglesey I believe though I understand that they are coming back into the far north of England. If you have spotted some in Berkshire that would be a surprise.

I was surprised myself. In fact, when my wife said she had seen it, I thought she was mistaken, then yesterday she got a picture while out walking the dog. She has now seen a couple of different ones - same time in different trees.

When we first started exploring we didnt have a car and later when we did, we still used the trains and explored on foot. We picked up train timetables and maps to identify small towns and villages dotted across Berkshire, found a lot, read on google and then explored away. You'd be surprised how many wonderful little places you find doing it this way, and we loved it

Happy explores to you!!!

KnK

We are going to be doing this now as we look for our long term place to stay, so if you know of any really nice Berkshire villages, please let me know.

Bloody loads ...but here's a few ...

When you go anywhere in the u.k

GET OFF THE BLOODY MOTORWAY ..

YOU SEE NOTHING

croyde bay - north Devon

North Yorkshire

Worcester and Worcestershire ( Worcester is a nice day out )

Warwickshire .....get off the beaten track ,its beautiful

Northumberland

Bristol

Wales

Scotland

If you want to go really rural ...parts of Herefordshire ( I have seen birds on bird feeders there ,that you just don't get in the w.mids )

Look there's just too much ....i do at least 100 miles a day ,and whenever possible I avoid the motorway ...i see some great stuff ...spoilt really

• Like 1

Bloody loads ...but here's a few ...

When you go anywhere in the u.k

GET OFF THE BLOODY MOTORWAY ..

YOU SEE NOTHING

croyde bay - north Devon

North Yorkshire

Worcester and Worcestershire ( Worcester is a nice day out )

Warwickshire .....get off the beaten track ,its beautiful

Northumberland

Bristol

Wales

Scotland

If you want to go really rural ...parts of Herefordshire ( I have seen birds on bird feeders there ,that you just don't get in the w.mids )

Look there's just too much ....i do at least 100 miles a day ,and whenever possible I avoid the motorway ...i see some great stuff ...spoilt really

Almost forgot

Lake district

And not an hour from me

Broadway ...cotswolds

Bourton on the water ( worth a visit )

And you are so close to London ...we met an old cockney couple who travel into London for a coffeee and a chat in Covent garden ..they will then go and watch a matinee performance of a top London show with cheap tickets and then catch the free bus home ...bloody marvellous

Thanks B, but I was hoping for something a bit more specific. A particular place I can look up on a map. For example, North Yorks, is huge, but I know a wonderful little woodland called Fairy Dell in Middlesbrough that is one of the most enchanting I have ever seen. That's the sort of place.

Hartington, Derbyshire.

Duckpond, Cheese Factory, Pub.

There is a fantastic walk south down the river through to Long Dale, then back to town Via a few lanes.

Then lunch at the Devonshire Arms.

Or if you prefer to ride than walk, drive through town to Hulme aEnd and ride the Manifold Way south. Dont forget to stop and climb straight up to Thors Cave and have a look.

Then, back to the pub for lunch.

Its the only part of the UK i really miss.

• Like 1

The Swan Pub in Pangbourne. Obviously not been in 5/6 years, but it used to be nice on a summers day to watch the world go by.

Aberystwyth Harbour. Lovely place (outside of term time) to unwind. Great driving roads into the town.

Sometimes I drive home via amberley rather than through Arundel. On a day like the last couple of days, it always takes my breath away and reminds me why I'm living in the UK.

• Like 1

When I worked in London for a couple of years the company was based in Teddington and I used to think people must not know about what a gem of a place the village was. I was travelling down from Manchester Mondays, back Fridays and the company paid for me to stay in a pub in Teddington. Even the rest of the employees who lived in London hadn't been out in Teddington. As soon as work finished they shot off home as quick as they could to get a parking spot close to home.

Teddington is sort of cut off by the Thames at one end and major road at the other. Great pub (Teddington lock) and the TV studios next to it. Is it still there? Used to go for a run after work in Bushy Park too. Wouldn't know you were near London if it hadn't been for the sound of Concorde flying over every night. Didn't really like London in general, too busy and expensive, but Teddington and close surrounds were great.

Loxley valley just outside Sheffield. Looks and feels like one of the more well-known Peak District dales (because it is), but almost no tourist presence as it's on the wrong side of the watershed (river flows east to the Don instead of south to the Derwent). Although come to think of it all the river valleys on the west side of Sheffield are pretty lovely, and almost completely unknown (except to Sheffielders)

1024px-Low_Bradfield_-_Aerial_View.jpg

High & Low Bradfield. Cricket ground in the valley is a little slice of heaven, fab place to play :)

Pubs and bistro/restaurants in the back streets off Mill Rd, Cambridge. Cambridge is brilliant for pubs in general but this area is particularly rich in them - and totally off the tourist trail. Enough material here for 2 days of pub crawls

The cycle over the Bwlch pass at the top of the Rhondda, from the Nantymoel side. Possibly the easiest col you'll ever cycle up (OK, you still have to climb, right?) but a great view and feeling at the top

50176326bdccd3147c87d54b4056982b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...