Retiring back in the UK

aussiederek

II am not sure about the rest of Australia but annual ambulance cover in Victoria is $87.60 per year for family cover. This covers you Australia wide and covers all ambulance transports etc. Health insurance ambulance cover does not cater for everything and there are gaps.

See www.ambulance.vic.gov.au look for memberships tab

Wa7 is in Perth so that doesn't really help his situation as you would have to live in Victoria to take out membership. It's quite bizarre having to pay for an ambulance though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wa7 is in Perth so that doesn't really help his situation as you would have to live in Victoria to take out membership. It's quite bizarre having to pay for an ambulance though.

You could always contact St John's ambulance to find out if they have subscriptions, or others here may already know.

You could always contact St John's ambulance to find out if they have subscriptions, or others here may already know.

I can afford an ambulance, the point is you shouldn't have to but thanks for the advice. X

I can testify that ambulances in WA are VERY expensive if you haven't got it as part of your private insurance. I had a trip in one when I collapsed in agony at home - turned out to be kidney stones.

The price depends on what services you have from the such as treatment and drugs. I was luckily not given any treatment by them and they didn't use the blue light which also increases price. It was also a short trip. Cost was $700.

Comparing medical systems, the NHS as wonderful as it is, is unsustainable in its present form and is unlikely to be the same for much longer. Whilst there has been large scale unskilled migration in the UK, funding for the NHS (well public services in general) was never increased sufficiently to increase the infrastructure required for population increases. The Australian system is slightly more sustainable and I do wonder whether the UK will copy it, or if the Tory government has its way, just totally privatise it.

It must be appreciated that there is no free medical system, it will be paid for at some stage.

I don't know where the idea comes from that the Conservatives want to privatise the whole of the NHS ? With the problems facing both systems I can't see much about the Australian system the UK would want to copy. I am in favour of introducing payments for some services and removing some services such as getting certain food on prescription.

I don't know where the idea comes from that the Conservatives want to privatise the whole of the NHS ? With the problems facing both systems I can't see much about the Australian system the UK would want to copy. I am in favour of introducing payments for some services and removing some services such as getting certain food on prescription.
Some people get confused between outsourcing and privatisation, and then get even more confused and think it means patients will have to pay or have insurance USA style.

Some people get confused between outsourcing and privatisation, and then get even more confused and think it means patients will have to pay or have insurance USA style.

Yes true, the outsourcing was I seem to recall started by the Labour party anyway. I have no problem with outsourcing at all.

Yes true, the outsourcing was I seem to recall started by the Labour party anyway. I have no problem with outsourcing at all.

I have a huge problem with outsourcing, which is just as common in Australia as in the UK. I've worked in several companies where various functions were outsourced (it's been all the rage since the mid-90's) and in every case, the standard of service dropped. And you'd be amazed the lengths the companies would go to, to cover up the fact that customers were being adversely affected by the change. Why? Because they were saving money.