Need ideas, how can we help 18 year old son some mates

Mrandmrsh

Our 18 year old son went back to England for a few months as he missed his mates in the UK. Now he's going to give OZ another go. We moved from Adelaide to Queensland a couple of months ago, while he's been back in England.

Really don't want him to go back again, so we need ideas of how to get him to me people and get some mates. Anyone know of any soccer teams or groups he can get involved in?

He will be looking for work or an apprenticeship too but as it will be his first job it might take a while.

Location wise...We recently moved to Logan area. Logan is not exactly the ideal area for us, so will be moving closer to Brisbane in 4 months time when our tenancy agreement ends.

Any ideas?

Sadly, we can't make friends for our kids and now, as almost adult, he's going to have to do it all by himself - I'm sure he knows how to make friends but whether he can or not is up to him, he just has to be prepared to put himself in the way of meeting people of like mind - work, sport, study, interests. He might "gel" with someone or he might not, luck of the draw really.

Not wanting to offend anyone, but getting out of the Logan area would be an excellent start!

Agreed. A gross generalisation but I wouldn't want my kids finding mates in Logan.................and yes, there are some good folk there, and a few pockets of isolated bliss, but the gang / race culture is pretty dominant and the good folk/kids tend to stay indoors after 6pm

No doubt Bristolman may put in a few good words seeing as he lived there, more to protect his lifestyle choice than to paint a true picture of life for the average Joe Blow..............pretty much like his illustration of his life in the UK I'm guessing

Thanks everyone who replied.

Yep,in this Suburb were scared even going to the local supermarket.

Our ignorance of not knowing the right areas has proved costly in lots of ways.

Bit of a long story about how we came to be living here, but so glad I ticked the 6 month box on the tenancy agreement and not the 12 month.

128 days left on the agreement, not that were counting lol still have most of our stuff in boxes.

While were on the subject can anyone recommend a nice area. My son would like more of a expat community around him.

OH works in Rocklea.

Typical , the lefties the first to warn you off Logan. The supposed ones that are all for people and one love but wouldn't let their children anywhere near the people they voice opinions and stand for. Logan actually has areas a lot safer than brisban city council. I recommend a apprenticeship. Most trades having a huge skills shortage and you are in Logan. Areas like Yarrabilba , flagstone ,jimboomba have huge developments going on . A living that could earn him $3000 - $4000 a week eventually.

Thanks everyone who replied.

Yep,in this Suburb were scared even going to the local supermarket.

Our ignorance of not knowing the right areas has proved costly in lots of ways.

Bit of a long story about how we came to be living here, but so glad I ticked the 6 month box on the tenancy agreement and not the 12 month.

128 days left on the agreement, not that were counting lol still have most of our stuff in boxes.

While were on the subject can anyone recommend a nice area. My son would like more of a expat community around him.

OH works in Rocklea.

What is your budget as that will some places out?

@Gbye grey sky-We pay $450 per week at the moment plus toll fees which can add up to and extra $30 a week.

Would go up to $500 if it was closer to Rocklea or keep to around $450 if travelling.

@Lambeth Lad - yep, he's got to start a new life here, so hopefully he will get a career, mates and a girlfriend soon.

Broke my heart when he went back to the UK, even though he only lasted 5 months.

Want to help him kickstart things here so he stays.

• 1 month later...

Archived