No immediate plans to move to OZ

ravian611

Under 189, we have to be personally present in Oz for 4 out of 5 years to claim citizenship, right ?

What if after obtaining visa 189, we don't have immediate plans to move to OZ and decide to move after 2 3 years to oz. What impact will this have on our citizenship claim status ?

We will have to renew visa after 5 years ?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Yes, you have to enter Australia within 12months of your police check or medical (whichever came first). You then have to move out there within 5 years. This is what I believe to be true but please correct me if I am wrong. You definitely have to touch down in aus though within that time frame. Should say on your visa grant the latest date you can enter to activate it. Ours is 5th December 2016

If your 189 has expired and you haven't fulfilled the citizenship requirements you would need to apply for a RRV visa if you wanted to leave and return at any time.

If you didn't have any need to leave Australia I assume you would be able to stay in Australia until you met the citizenship requirements - then there would be no need for a RRV. Someone else may be able to confirm this.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Once you have pr and are living in Australia you don't have to renew the visa. You only need rrv if you want to leave Australia. My mother in law has been in Australia on pr visa for thirty years. My husband has also been here for thirty years with pr visa he however has had a few rrv's. You must however activate your visa within 12 months as others have said.

So here i am summarising what you guys have just said

"Once a guy is granted PR, he will have to visit OZ in 12 months of police check or medical, and once reached in OZ, he will be granted citizenship on completion of minimum 4 years. If he wants to move out of Oz within this period of 4 year, he will have to arrange RRV Visa. If he don't want to go out of OZ, he is pretty much ok with Visa. Right ?"

What if guy go for RRV Visa, what implication will this have on his citizenship period. Simply his "non-aus" will be deducted from total period. is it ?

Only need a RRV if your 189 has expired and don't have citizenship yet.

Okay. So Visa is for 5 years, If a person wants to leave oz temporarily, he will be ok. no RRV is needed, but if he can't complete 4 year tenure out of 5 year n now wants to leave oz temporarily, he will be needing RRV, right ?

Okay. So Visa is for 5 years, If a person wants to leave oz temporarily, he will be ok. no RRV is needed, but if he can't complete 4 year tenure out of 5 year n now wants to leave oz temporarily, he will be needing RRV, right ?

Correct. Satisfying the 4 out of 5 alone isnt enough to leave and return however, he would need to have citizenship that the 4 out of 5 entities him to (or if he didnt want citizenship then a RRV) as his 189 no longer exists.

We are looking at doing the same thing. Yes you must visit to activate within 12 months of earliest police/medical check (this will be stated on visa) you can then come and go as you wish for the 5 years of your visa. Once you reach the 5 year point you need to be in Oz. If you want to leave and have not gained citizenship you need to get a RRV.

The requirements for citizenship are 4 years residence with no more than 12 months during that time out of the country, and no more then 90 days in previous 12 months to application.

So once you activate visa. You could move say after 2 years. You would then only need to do 3 years to qualify for citizenship because the year before you moved counts as the 12 months out the country. Your residencey starts from when you activate the visa.

There re is a calculator on the gov website.

The visa is permanent, it doesn't expire. However the travel rights on it expire after 5 years so you need to be in Australia before they expire and apply for a RRV if you want to be able to travel after that. You can apply for citizenship as soon as you meet the residency requirements.

Yes it is that precise. When applying for citizenship it is counted to the day.

I understood the question to be asking if you need to be in the country for all 365 days for that year to count towards citizenship. My comment suggested you wouldn't lose the whole year if you missed 5 days. Is it correct that the other 360 would go towards your total requirement over the 4/5 year period ?

And for those who want to leave OZ ( and are vitriolic about it) my enduring memory is the very sad family in QLD (Poms in Oz Tv program), who turned up for their citizenship ceremony in really sad shell suits (says it all really), chewing gum and just basically ignorant and disrespectful, who openly said were off back to the Uk, you can't get decent sausages and why would you want to go to the beach, you just get sand in your car and crack, but we're leaving options open with citizenship, they basically left days after the ceremony, it was hilarious to watch, cringed so many times and shameful at the end.

Yes it is that precise. When applying for citizenship it is counted to the day.

No it isn't. You're allowed holidays. So you do not have to physically have been in Australia for 365 days/365 days for 4 years. I've been on numerous overseas trips and was granted citizenship this year.

No it isn't. You're allowed holidays. So you do not have to physically have been in Australia for 365 days/365 days for 4 years. I've been on numerous overseas trips and was granted citizenship this year.

It iS counted to the day. You have to have qualified for citizenship with a total number of days. Some of those days since the original visa grant may have been spent outside the country on holiday but the days are still counted individually.

When you put your dates into the online calculator it counts in days, not weeks of months. You need 365 days as PR. And I do know someone who applied on the actual day she thought she qualified, but because she was one day out with the date she had arrived back in the country from a holiday, they rejected her. She needed ONE MORE DAY as PR to qualify.