How does anyone get anything done in Queensland?

Diane

Phew, had a couple of humid days down here in Adelaide - it was 39 on Saturday - beautiful, dry heat - but then yesterday we had thunderstorms and high humidity, and today its only around 27 but humid as anything! How on earth do you guys in Queensland where humidity is the norm get anything done? I've just wanted to go back to sleep all day today, after a hot sticky night, with hardly a breath of breeze. Even the koala in the tree across the road looks absolutely knackered (sorry for poor quality of photo, I didn't want to scare him by getting too close!)

koala1.jpg

Give me mid-high 30s low humidity any day!

koala2.jpg

koala2.jpg

koala1.jpg

Only really had 1 week humid weather in Brisbane, didn't do a lot that week outside of swimming! Normally I do the same as normal but take extra cold showers.

Phew, had a couple of humid days down here in Adelaide - it was 39 on Saturday - beautiful, dry heat - but then yesterday we had thunderstorms and high humidity, and today its only around 27 but humid as anything! How on earth do you guys in Queensland where humidity is the norm get anything done? I've just wanted to go back to sleep all day today, after a hot sticky night, with hardly a breath of breeze. Even the koala in the tree across the road looks absolutely knackered (sorry for poor quality of photo, I didn't want to scare him by getting too close!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33027[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]33028[/ATTACH]

We're having a bit of Queensland weather down here at the mo. Sticky, still, and very uncomfortable when you're on a tram packed with other commuters who also can't work out how this is meant to be autumn! This morning was like one of those rare hot London summer days when you're hoping that the person next to you on the tube didn't forget their Right Guard! :smile:

Only really had 1 week humid weather in Brisbane, didn't do a lot that week outside of swimming! Normally I do the same as normal but take extra cold showers.

Not been bad this year at all

Normally knocks me for six

Take it as it happens something we have to live with

But after 6 years its getting easier

I can't say it affects us that much, not that there are that many days that are unbearably humid anyway. The odd week we get just take lots of quick dips in the pool or cold showers, i have had nothing fans cannot deal with (except in the car where air-con is a MUST).

Cal x

Don't koalas always look knackered in the daytime. They are only active at night I think.

They're always pretty inactive during the day yes - I don't know if you can see from the pics though but this one was literally draped over a branch on its stomach, all four legs (arms and legs?) just dangling down on either side of the branch. I initially thought it was a dead one that someone had just thrown into the tree, till it lifted its head to look at me :smile:

They're always pretty inactive during the day yes - I don't know if you can see from the pics though but this one was literally draped over a branch on its stomach, all four legs (arms and legs?) just dangling down on either side of the branch. I initially thought it was a dead one that someone had just thrown into the tree, till it lifted its head to look at me :smile:

It looks absolutely knackered in the pic with it's little arms and legs just hanging down. Maybe it's very old.

When we get the rare 38c dry heat, head in an oven, day in Brisbane I almost die on my bicycle commute so must be what you're used to :) "where humidity is the norm" ... the day you describe is not the norm btw, most of the year it is far milder than that. If we do get a really bad day like that we would get up earlier and do exercise then, stay in air con and then come out again late afternoon or after dark for a swim or something.

Guest The Pom Queen

Struggling in Townsville but didn't in Cairns, not sure if it's because we are in a Queenslander now instead of a concrete house.

Give me the heat over having to work in freezing temps any day , I don't miss putting roofs on in the snow, each too their own though

I was doing that today. Quite a sunny morning but -2 when I got it too scrape car this morning. Couldn't feel fingers til 10.30am ish. Been bloody wet windy or cold most days. Nearly very nearly at that turning point.

are you a chippie or a roofer(as in tiler). Be interested to ask you a few things if your a chippie with warm hands.

• 1 month later...
Crying wolf? I would have thought it is clear fact that we're going to get hotter, especially given the destruction in the last month on the Great Barrier Reef and the unseasonably high temperatures we've been experiencing over the same period.

The first summer we were here in Devonport was really warm and dry. The temp was never higher than 30C though that was only on a couple of days. Last summer was cooler and wetter and this summer seems to have lasted forever - warm and dry - most days were no higher than 26C. We have still had no decent rain. A cold winter has been forecast and that I don't mind at all though many retired Tasmanians take off for Queensland in the winter.

Air con. If we didn't have air con in the house, car, shops & work I wouldn't survive :P

The first summer we were here in Devonport was really warm and dry. The temp was never higher than 30C though that was only on a couple of days. Last summer was cooler and wetter and this summer seems to have lasted forever - warm and dry - most days were no higher than 26C. We have still had no decent rain. A cold winter has been forecast and that I don't mind at all though many retired Tasmanians take off for Queensland in the winter.

Oh, SH!T:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Not been bad this year at all

Normally knocks me for six

Take it as it happens something we have to live with

But after 6 years its getting easier

After 37 years we have never got used to the heat and humidity,In fact the older you get the worse it gets.I am now thinking This Global Warning Thing Is 100% true.When they say the norm will be 50 degrees. We live on the Sunshine Coast,It's Aptly Named, we have never known the weather to be so unbearable,with so many cockroaches for so long,And we used to live out west. On the News this morning,they say there is more people leaving the Sunshine Coast than Coming in.Not surprised it's so overrated. And expensive.

After 37 years we have never got used to the heat and humidity,In fact the older you get the worse it gets.I am now thinking This Global Warning Thing Is 100% true.When they say the norm will be 50 degrees. We live on the Sunshine Coast,It's Aptly Named, we have never known the weather to be so unbearable,with so many cockroaches for so long,And we used to live out west. On the News this morning,they say there is more people leaving the Sunshine Coast than Coming in.Not surprised it's so overrated. And expensive.

@Zack move to Tasmania. The climate would agree with you. I haven't seen a cockroach since moving here and the houses are cheaper.

We moved to the Sunny Coast at the start of December and the humidity has not been fun. Don't get me wrong the heat is great at a weekend if we can get to the beach, but it has really got to me how many days I've spent through the week sitting in the house with the aircon on as it's just too hot to take my 4-year old outside. Think I spent more time outside during the Scottish winter before we came! Warmth was a top priority when deciding where we were going to live but now I'm realising at least if it's cooler you can put on some layers and still go out. I've lived in different areas of Oz in the past and really surprised how much I'm struggling here. Maybe it is just getting older! Anyways I'm off to melbourne for a wee recce trip this weekend - never thought I'd say that! :)

Last October you had been living here 29 years and were about to move back to the UK. Have you changed your mind in the last 8 months and decided to stick it out in the Sunshine Coast hell-hole? Does each month here feel like a year to you? :wink:

Archived