Student or Partner Visa?

EllieJV

Sounds like you've got it worked out, you're in a very fortunate position to have such a supportive mum! Just when you're planning etc.. If you want to ultimately bring your mum over, that is also a very high cost visa, currently about $50,000, yes $50k, plus medicals etc...

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/173- We'd be going for this visa I think.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees# $2500? Plus medical e.c.t

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be staying with my boyfriend and family so won't need that much money, just enough for rent and travel at first.

You might want to take advice on how to establish a partner relationship; living with your partner's family may make it harder to demonstrate a partnership than if you were setting up your own home together.

You might want to take advice on how to establish a partner relationship; living with your partner's family may make it harder to demonstrate a partnership than if you were setting up your own home together.

Yes, that's just to start with before I get a job. After that we'll be moving out ASAP. :)

Slightly new plan

• I finish my course here next year, June 2017.

• My aim was to start the TAFE 1.5 year course in January 2018 ($16k), on a student visa ($600)

• 1 year into this course, I would apply for the temp de facto partner visa ($6k, saved up while there. I worked out I could afford rent and bills on minimum wage, and put money aside for savings)

• After my course ends, so would my student visa. However I would apply for a bridging visa (free) with the remaining wait of 1 year.

• In this time I would continue working the max. hours I could do (20), and continue to save up.
  • After/if the partner visa is approved, I will continue to work but full time until I can apply for the permanent de facto visa (About 2 years later) :cry:
  • Then after I get the permanent visa, apply for uni so I don't have to pay the international fees.
  • After I finish uni and am well settled, sponsor my mum to move out on a contributory parent visa ($2500)

My uni course was guaranteed entry, as long as I did the TAFE course well, and went to uni within 2 years I think it was. So I'll probably just miss this deadline. Hopefully I don't miss it, or get good enough grades to get in anyway.:smile:

How does that sound? :unsure:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/173- We'd be going for this visa I think.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees# $2500? Plus medical e.c.t

the first one you linked to (173) is temporary for up to 2 years, if you want to make it permanent it's a 143 visa, which if you apply directly costs about $50,000. It's called the contributory parent visa. There are lots of threads here about it.

Well even then, with the money I'm not spending on uni (if i get residency on the permanent de facto visa before), that will cover my mums visa easily. Also she'll have just over 5 years to save. The cost of that is fine. I'm just wondering if my plan I posted a few minutes ago sounds good?

Well even then, with the money I'm not spending on uni (if i get residency on the permanent de facto visa before), that will cover my mums visa easily. Also she'll have just over 5 years to save. The cost of that is fine. I'm just wondering if my plan I posted a few minutes ago sounds good?

it seems to make sense and you have the funds to support it. However there's a lot of ifs and buts there. Also, some student visas might have a 'no further stay' condition to prevent people doing dodgy courses to try and stay in Oz (no that I'm suggesting your course is dodgy, but the possibility of that condition is there) As a result and because this is a long term plan which affects you and your mum, as well as money appearing to be no object, I would consult a migration agent to get the best strategy for your personal circumstances.

Hi, want some help

I am currently holding a student which will be expired on August, however, i finished my degree earlier, that means i have not enrolled any courses this last semester. The uni reminds me the student visa might be cancelled.

I am already lodge Visa187 and already got the BVA, the BVA is not effect due to my student visa is currently in effect.

So i would like to know, if my student visa cancelled by the department, will it effect on the BVA???

Thank you so much for your help!!!

You say you're in a hurry to finish your studies but your plan (going to TAFE first, then waiting for residency then going to uni) doesn't sound like a fast-track to me.

I'd say a far more sensible plan would be to apply for a WHV (working holiday visa). It's super-easy to get (takes about a day to get approved) and you'll be able to work full-time (up to six months with each employer) for the whole year. Many people do treat it as a holiday, do bar work etc - but it's equally possible to treat it as work experience, and you'll find plenty of work through temp agencies. Don't think of it as a waste of time - in Australia, employers really value local work experience, and a lot of jobs are found through "who you know". So the experience you gain, and especially the contacts you make, will be very useful after you qualify. You may even find an employer willing to take you on and support your study.

Living with your boyfriend during your WHV year will give you the evidence you need to apply for a partner visa.

The money you save doing full-time work during your WHV year will be useful to fund your eventual university study and your mum's migration.

As long as they live together as a couple - share a room etc - and have all the other proof like finances, then its not a problem that they are living with family. In fact it can help as the family can do a stat dec talking about how they live there as a couple, and how the family view their relationship.

Hi, want some help

I am currently holding a student which will be expired on August, however, i finished my degree earlier, that means i have not enrolled any courses this last semester. The uni reminds me the student visa might be cancelled.

I am already lodge Visa187 and already got the BVA, the BVA is not effect due to my student visa is currently in effect.

So i would like to know, if my student visa cancelled by the department, will it effect on the BVA???

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Why not start your own thread instead of hijacking one on a different subject?!

it seems to make sense and you have the funds to support it. However there's a lot of ifs and buts there. Also, some student visas might have a 'no further stay' condition to prevent people doing dodgy courses to try and stay in Oz (no that I'm suggesting your course is dodgy, but the possibility of that condition is there) As a result and because this is a long term plan which affects you and your mum, as well as money appearing to be no object, I would consult a migration agent to get the best strategy for your personal circumstances.

What makes them think it's a dodgy course?

About dodgy courses. I understand a number of dodgy cases in the UK have involved courses going under the label of media studies. Which doesn't really help the area's image in general, either.

Oh, but I want to do accounting? So that'll be okay more likely?

Just a thought. Have you looked at doing a year in Australia as part of your UK degree? Even if this is not normally done for the course you are on, it can be possible to complete part of the course overseas. It might just be worth speaking both to your tutor and the department concerned with overseas placements.

Some Unis are better at this than others, but is becoming more common for people to spend at least a term overseas.

Just a thought. Have you looked at doing a year in Australia as part of your UK degree? Even if this is not normally done for the course you are on, it can be possible to complete part of the course overseas. It might just be worth speaking both to your tutor and the department concerned with overseas placements.

Some Unis are better at this than others, but is becoming more common for people to spend at least a term overseas.

Means doing my college course, getting into a uni, then trying to go. :/ Very long process.

No, 3 years behind because of changing course. :/

How did you manage to get 3 years behind when you're only 19!?!? The earliest people normally start is 18?

im not sure why Ellie, but it feels like there is info you're not advising, which is absolutely your right, but it will limit the amount of advice people can provide?

How did you manage to get 3 years behind when you're only 19!?!? The earliest people normally start is 18?

im not sure why Ellie, but it feels like there is info you're not advising, which is absolutely your right, but it will limit the amount of advice people can provide?

I left school not sure what to do, but knew I wanted to move out (bad decision), so went moved to London to live with a friend and study Art & Design. I got kicked out her house because she wasn't giving her mum my rent money, so her mum thought I never paid rent, and of course believed her daughter over me. I came back to Wales one month into my course, because I had no where to stay. By then there were no college spaces left. I waited until the next year, and started Graphic Design. I'm on my second year of this now, and have decided I want to do accounting instead. Pretty sure this is the last change, because I do accounting as a hobby on my mums and my own finances and savings. I'm starting the accounting diploma this year in 6 months. Then the plan is the advanced diploma in Australia.

I should be on my last or 2nd to last year of uni at the moment. But because of all that I'm behind.

Not sure what other info would be useful. What were you thinking I left out?

Archived