Help please--choosing between tradeoffs of move back to the UK

Gummygirl

Hello, I've followed this forum with great interest. There seems to be a lot of collective wisdom on here so I'm hoping to gain a few insights on our dilemma as we face a move back to the UK.

In our late 40's, with a primary school age child. After almost 20 years of enjoying life in Sydney, we recently decided that the pull of family, friends and shorter flights to Europe and the US made it worth seriously looking at a move back to the UK, where hubby is from. We have no family ties here at all, nor particularly strong friendship ties, which has been a sad realisation, but it isn't going to change anytime soon.

So my hubby looked into a transfer with his multinational company, and has received an offer. All good so far--except that the offer is for a level lower than his current level (from managerial to non-managerial) and the base salary is GBP10K or AUD20K less than what he's on now. According to the UK hiring manager, Australia is 'a bit behind in the way they do things', but if hubby shows he fits in with a higher level, then they would consider putting him back up. (Except when you're in your late 40's, you've learned to take words like that with a grain of salt.) Hubby is crushed. He's worked hard to get to his current position after shifting industries, he's won various company awards for good performance, and it suddenly feels like he's getting a demotion.

So--what to do? If he accepts, then he wouldn't really be starting in the enthusiastic positive mindset you'd hope to have when starting a new chapter in your life. If he takes it with a view to moving jobs when he gets the chance, we're not sure of how easily one can do that in late 40's, even for contractual work. Family members live in an expensive part of the Southeast, so to be close to them and jobs we'd need to pay a bit more on the mortgage to move over into a similar house, so having a lower income wouldn't help.

If he turns it down, we would be financially well off if we just kept going the way we are. We could afford to travel each year, but we wouldn't have family close by, and we really want our child to experience the support of a more extended family network especially coming into the teenage years. Our holidays would also be split trying to see people in different countries. We were hoping that at least by being in the UK, we could spend time with family without needing to take such long holidays to do it, freeing up time to see other places in the world! Also in the long run, we'd want to send our child to uni overseas to be exposed to more of the world, and if she chose to remain overseas...the thought has occurred that I would have no one to visit me in the aged care home here in Sydney...

Sorry if this all sounds like a first-world problem, but any helpful perspectives would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've been through a similar situation.

Gummy Girl - are you Australian or British? I know from reading threads of others moving back, if you are not British there are some things to consider - those more knowledgeable will tell you what they are.

Link doesn't work. To be honest I think my VW is nicer than I need, they are just things to get you from A to B. A Hyundai would do the job fine.

Nearly 300,000 Km on the clock and the engine light is stuck on...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-A5-2008/SSE-AD-3896881/?Cr=2

Would seem a better deal..

Yes I completely agree, except for me personally, I feel the need to have something to look forward to when I go back, the Audi A5 on Diesel 45.6 mpg (urban) which is pretty amazing all considering, I also like the VW Golf nice car quality made..

Why do you feel the need to have something to look forward to when you go back? I thought you wanted to go back? Why havent you a nice car here?

Very true, then you find a car that is affordable but still a high powered Vehicle...BMW series 1 is pretty economical and then you also ensure you buy a Diesel high powered car like the Audi A4 sports...nice

Wouldnt be buying a BMW the indicators never seem to work

They are getting a lot better these days. It's now the Audi's that seem to have issue with the indicators, the brakes and some defect with the windscreens that seem to make the driver think he/she is further away from the car in from than they really are. Here in the South East of England they are a menace. Especially those 'Q' 4x4s. Incredibly aggressive and selfish. BMWs seem to have blended into the background here these days. Not sure what it's like in Aus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cars are cheaper but otherwise, having recently moved back, we've found our everyday costs are pretty much the same as they were in Sydney - except that eating out, and petrol, are both hugely more expensive.

Definatley.....it's always about $70 for a quick dinner out for two! I think renting is a little cheaper (South East excluded)

They are getting a lot better these days. It's now the Audi's that seem to have issue with the indicators, the brakes and some defect with the windscreens that seem to make the driver think he/she is further away from the car in from than they really are. Here in the South East of England they are a menace. Especially those 'Q' 4x4s. Incredibly aggressive and selfish. BMWs seem to have blended into the background here these days. Not sure what it's like in Aus.

Sorry gummygirl....PIO sometimes goes a bit off topic :wink:

There seems to be so many positives in moving back to the UK, just the job situation holding you back. If taking the financial cut would mean you would really financially struggle then you would need to look at if you could make it work but if more due to the position change I would go with all the positives you mention. Also once back in Uk its easier to get another job.

For us moving to Oz its the financial aspects that have played a great part in making the decision to move, its got to be financially viable. I am not the best person re pensions and so on and how this impacts being out the UK but sure there is someone who can advise.

Best Wishes

Maria

Hello, I've followed this forum with great interest. There seems to be a lot of collective wisdom on here so I'm hoping to gain a few insights on our dilemma as we face a move back to the UK.

In our late 40's, with a primary school age child. After almost 20 years of enjoying life in Sydney, we recently decided that the pull of family, friends and shorter flights to Europe and the US made it worth seriously looking at a move back to the UK, where hubby is from. We have no family ties here at all, nor particularly strong friendship ties, which has been a sad realisation, but it isn't going to change anytime soon.

So my hubby looked into a transfer with his multinational company, and has received an offer. All good so far--except that the offer is for a level lower than his current level (from managerial to non-managerial) and the base salary is GBP10K or AUD20K less than what he's on now. According to the UK hiring manager, Australia is 'a bit behind in the way they do things', but if hubby shows he fits in with a higher level, then they would consider putting him back up. (Except when you're in your late 40's, you've learned to take words like that with a grain of salt.) Hubby is crushed. He's worked hard to get to his current position after shifting industries, he's won various company awards for good performance, and it suddenly feels like he's getting a demotion.

So--what to do? If he accepts, then he wouldn't really be starting in the enthusiastic positive mindset you'd hope to have when starting a new chapter in your life. If he takes it with a view to moving jobs when he gets the chance, we're not sure of how easily one can do that in late 40's, even for contractual work. Family members live in an expensive part of the Southeast, so to be close to them and jobs we'd need to pay a bit more on the mortgage to move over into a similar house, so having a lower income wouldn't help.

If he turns it down, we would be financially well off if we just kept going the way we are. We could afford to travel each year, but we wouldn't have family close by, and we really want our child to experience the support of a more extended family network especially coming into the teenage years. Our holidays would also be split trying to see people in different countries. We were hoping that at least by being in the UK, we could spend time with family without needing to take such long holidays to do it, freeing up time to see other places in the world! Also in the long run, we'd want to send our child to uni overseas to be exposed to more of the world, and if she chose to remain overseas...the thought has occurred that I would have no one to visit me in the aged care home here in Sydney...

Sorry if this all sounds like a first-world problem, but any helpful perspectives would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've been through a similar situation.

The only thought I can contribute is that if the parent company think the Australian subsidiary is backward then that will be addressed I would expect at some stage and that might be a root and branch change or it might be by bringing in some new brooms, does that seem likely?

Is it better to be ahead of the curve/jump before the push? Is staying in Australia going to eventually catch up with his career, and we all know that Aus ismore ageist than the UK, if there is a sudden leap forward in his industry in 5 years time he might find work difficult.

I'm not suggesting that that is how it will go but it might be a consideration and also might provide the psychological boost to make the retraining phase back in the UK feel more like a sensible choice rather a step backward.

Gummy Girl - are you Australian or British? I know from reading threads of others moving back, if you are not British there are some things to consider - those more knowledgeable will tell you what they are.

Hi there, I have an Australian passport though not originally Australian. From a visa perspective we would be fine on the back of the offer. I did look into the whole resident non-domicile thing while in the UK. For the moment, it shouldn't be an issue. If there are other things to consider, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Thanks

I've also been following the car talk with a mixture of detachment and amusement. I must admit I'm an A to B kind of person when it comes to cars. Between that and dealing with grubby little handprints everywhere, I try not to over-invest in them. I did however take a peek at car prices in Australia and UK. For some reason they seemed to convert to about the same price. This was looking at carsales.com.au vs autotrader.co.uk. Maybe just the location?--in the UK they ask for postcode before they show results.

Hi there, I have an Australian passport though not originally Australian. From a visa perspective we would be fine on the back of the offer. I did look into the whole resident non-domicile thing while in the UK. For the moment, it shouldn't be an issue. If there are other things to consider, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Thanks

I've also been following the car talk with a mixture of detachment and amusement. I must admit I'm an A to B kind of person when it comes to cars. Between that and dealing with grubby little handprints everywhere, I try not to over-invest in them. I did however take a peek at car prices in Australia and UK. For some reason they seemed to convert to about the same price. This was looking at carsales.com.au vs autotrader.co.uk. Maybe just the location?--in the UK they ask for postcode before they show results.

On the subject of cars, when comparing second hand, and standard cars (Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.) they may well be similar. On new cars in the UK there is no LCT for the more expensive ones. Not sure about Aus, but cost of car insurance and fuel can be high in the UK. There is no bundled third party on a car here with the Rego (which is road fund license, or road tax over here). That can also be quite high, but is determined by CO2 output. Cars over three years old need an annual safety check, called an MOT, which I think is about £30. You need it to tax a car and insurance would be void without it. Oh, and you'll be fined if caught driving a car not roadworthy, whether with an MOT certificate or not.

For the more expensive European cars, the U.K. Is miles cheaper. In fact, there are models your can get here that are not on the Aus market. Europe, and the U.K. Are much bigger Diesel markets. So, for example, I drive a BMW 330d here, but I won't be able to get one when we move to Aus. 3.0L diesels in Aus (such as Toyota and Mitsubishi, which I have driven over in QLD) use some awful four cylinder tractor units, whereas here they pop a i6, v6 or five pot engine in, which is smoother and a better drive.

Anyway, I generally get the impression that car ownership overall is cheaper in Aus. However, in the South East of England at least, traffic levels are bordering on the ridiculous. A trip around the M25 at the wrong time is a nightmare. It's better away from the overcrowded South East, but can still be busy on major roads, such as around Birmingham, Manchester, parts of the M1 and the Edinburgh to Glasgow run.

Aside from cars, public transport here can be good in the cities. London is excellent (if not cheap) and cities such as Nottingham have excellent bus networks. Glasgow and Edinburgh also have good transport. Rural public transport is not that good, but based on my experience, better than Aus rural public transport (I'll never forget being caught on the Sunshine Coast in the evening rush hour, wanting a train back to Brisbane!!!!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by The Pommy