Advice /info wanted

pigsy

Hi all myself wife and children are planning to move to aus not sure where yet thinking Adelaide area , the wife being the main visa app as teacher , I've not got any formal qualifications im 45 but have done various jobs over the years jack of all trades master of none as they say lol , the advice I'm after /info is , what would I need to do to gain employment are there handyman type of jobs out there , I can paint , fix computers , weld , service cars ,bit of tiling , plastering , are there any courses qualifications I would need to be able to work , the wife would be the main app on the 189 visa

any advice help would be great have loads of other questions too lol

thanks paul

OK....I don't think anyone can tell you where to live because we all have different ideas of what's great and what's not. We stayed in Christies beach which was right on the coast and absolutely beautiful, little bit out of Adelaide centre though, about 40 min sdrive/train.....but lovely for us....Adelaide is quite a quiet relaxed place, so you need to do some research and soul searching to think about exactly what you want out of somewhere.... Do you like city living, country living,hustle and bustle etc....those things xxx

Someone will come along with advice on courses soon I'm sure xx

Finding a job for the wife and myself would be the first thing lol ,but as for where to live as long as there's a good school ,places for the children to roam free maybe parks places to learn new skills , somewhere not to far away from the shops an hour or so from the beach maybe , nice weather all would be great :-) hey do they play bingo in aus !!!!

Thankd paul

Where to live ? Close to where your wife secures work if you can or close to public transport where possible

We always lived south of Adelaide Morphett Vale , Happy Valley plenty of parks and the beach not far

As for working as a handy man etc you would need to be licensed and to get a contractors license do a course at TAFE to show you have buisness skills ( that's if you want to run a buisness on your own ) Take as many references etc with you as you can it all helps

Do your homework into the job market though as times are a bit tough in Adelaide for some lines of work ,if you read through pages on this site plus maybe poms in Adelaide you can get a bigger picture

We've not done lots of research as of yet the wife's still doing her pgce in early years / primary , with the intention of permanent employment after her nqt year , at the mo her teaching qual she's doing is on both the skills list , in sure if she couldn't find oerm

work straight away , she would consider casual as long as it's legal :-) , can I ask why can it be hard to find permanent positions in Adelaide , although the wife has worked in schools for a number of years being a ta in both infant and secondary , she feels she can contribute more to children from early level up ,

thanks

paul

We've not done lots of research as of yet the wife's still doing her pgce in early years / primary , with the intention of permanent employment after her nqt year , at the mo her teaching qual she's doing is on both the skills list , in sure if she couldn't find oerm

work straight away , she would consider casual as long as it's legal :-) , can I ask why can it be hard to find permanent positions in Adelaide , although the wife has worked in schools for a number of years being a ta in both infant and secondary , she feels she can contribute more to children from early level up ,

thanks

paul

TBH she is going to struggle to get a visa as there is a surfeit of teachers who can't find jobs and you never know if and when they are going to come off the list. It's hard to find permanent positions because there are thousands of young Aussie trained teachers who can't get jobs - not in areas that people actually want to live anyway. Your wife Mary well feel she can contribute lots but, then, so do the rest of the other applicants. If she can score a permanent position in UK after qualifying she might be better to stay with it.

Although the jobs list may say there is a shortage of teachers in South Australia, what it actually means is there is a shortage of teachers in rural - by which I mean 4 hours drive out of the city type rural - areas of South Australia. If you want to live within reach of Adelaide itself, I am pretty sure there is no shortage of teachers at all. Even locally qualified teachers at all levels struggle to get anything other than casual or contract teaching work there.

To set yourself up as a handyman you probably need an ABN (Australian Business Number) which is easy enough to get. But then for a lot of work, you would need separate licences - anything to do with plastering, electrical, plumbing etc. I don't think you need a licence for gardening or lawn mowing. Again though with SA bear in mind there are lots of people out of work - the number is growing by the day and that's just the ones that are 'officially' unemployed. Lots of those people will be looking at ways to make some money so the handyman and oddjob-man markets are getting pretty saturated with people willing and able to do those jobs that don't require licences.

I was curious it's bin mentioned about not many full time posts for teachers are the casual teaching jobs/ relief and so on , are they short term contracts usually , what sort of length do they last , are they based on a weekly

,monthly , yearly contract

thanks

I was curious it's bin mentioned about not many full time posts for teachers are the casual teaching jobs/ relief and so on , are they short term contracts usually , what sort of length do they last , are they based on a weekly

thanks

By the day, usually, the week, possibly, or if you are very lucky, a term. Not really great if you need a regular income and also lacking the safety net of sick leave etc

thanks

My OH has two nephews who are qualified teachers, one of them is married to a teacher, all are in Adelaide. All of them have previously got contracts for a year with a school, although one of them worked in a school for autistic children as this was the only place they could get a contract and at least one of the others worked in a school for children with vision difficulties. The nephew that taught at the school for autistic children has since decided to give up teaching as finding a post in a 'normal' school proved too hard. The other nephew's wife has now got a long term position in a school library and I'm not sure what he is doing, although I believe he has at least another year's contract with a school.

Relief work in state schools is very casual and how much you will get will depend on if one or more schools take a liking to you. I believe you sign up for relief work through the department of education and then get contacted when there is work available at a state school. The primary school my youngest goes to uses one particular relief teacher a lot. From what I can gather from the kids he is close to, or at, retirement age and he like relief work as it means he can just work a few days here and there rather than working full time. With relief work though you often don't know if or where you will be working on any particular day until the morning of the day itself. That's fine if you are able to be flexible but not so good if you have kids of your own to sort out.

thanks

paul

Even relief teaching can be hard to come by in Adelaide. Honestly, there are a lot of primary school teachers around unable to get contracts or permanent posts and many doing relief teaching to fill in. Permanent posts are limited these days. Many positions come with 1 year contracts and often are not renewed for whatever reason. Schools can't take on many permanent staff these days and they are capped at how many they can have. So its short term contracts of up to a year mostly.

Relief teaching can be very hit and miss and will mean handing out your CV to just about every school out there and getting your face known to schools and for them to start picking up the phone and calling you for relief work. Often teachers stick with the same few relief teachers over the school year as they get to know their class etc. So they have their go to people and won't go outside of this unless they have to.

Teaching posts can be found in rural SA but that is probably a long way from where most people want to be living. I know quite a lot of primary teachers and all of them have struggled to secure anything more than a one year contract and often those are only for 2-3 days a week job share. And these are locals, Aussies who know the system, have been educated here, trained here etc. Honestly, Adelaide is not a hot bed of employment for primary teachers. There are just too many around now. I don't get why its still on the visa list but then its there for the rural country jobs that most people don't want and most migrants won't even consider. They all tend to head to Adelaide where the job market is tough.

High school wise I think its maths and science teachers they are lacking in Adelaide.

Archived