Two female backpackers beaten and raped in South Australia

JockinTas

Perhaps, maybe I've been corrupted by reading so much vile Islamophobic bilge on here

........and sadly that's what happens.....

........I had read the story earlier....

........and not registered the names of the witnesses.....!

.........I had to read it again....

.........to see what you'd seen....

........it's the constant barrage of race and religion mentioned with crime that causes this IMO....

........I've said before.....neither should be the first thing to come to mind wen a crime is committed....

.........it's the ...crime.....not the race or religion that is the wrong doing.....!!!

Strange reporting, naming the two witnesses, both with Muslim names, so early on.

If I was a cynic, I'd say the DM was relying on the lack of intelligence and short attention span of some of their readers to add 2 and 2 to make 5.....

If they hadn't revealed the rescuers were Islamic, wouldn't that have been more of a worry?

Those poor, poor girls, what should have been an adventure of a lifetime will end up being the worst experience of their lives and one that they'll likely never get over. What a worry also for all those families of backpackers all over the world. Hope the vile waste of human life rots in jail but I suspect it won't be that long.

Those poor, poor girls, what should have been an adventure of a lifetime will end up being the worst experience of their lives and one that they'll likely never get over. What a worry also for all those families of backpackers all over the world. Hope the vile waste of human life rots in jail but I suspect it won't be that long.

Terrible for them.

He is charged with attempted murder alongside other serious charges, he may well receive a lengthy prison term if found guilty.

I couldn't believe it when I read it yesterday. Everyone's worst nightmare. So far my mum hasn't mentioned it, hopefully won't freak her out. Id never travel with a random local man anyway

Doesn't have to be a local person to avoid. Just saying.

This sort of thing can happen to anyone, anywhere at any point. Its can be someone unknown to you but often people also know their attacker.

No Parley. Just use common sense when travelling. These poor girls probably thought they were safe together with one man.

The Poster would appear to have never been 'on the road'. A mixture of caution and faith are both required in equal measure, especially when females are involved. There are numerous tales where the outcome was less fortunate.

There are some pretty scary, hairy blokes out there in the outback. Back packers really need to be mindful of their surroundings. I often thought how easy it would be to 'disappear' in such an environment coming across the wrong person/s.

I've often thought that too Flag.

I used to hitch-hike everywhere in my teens (in the UK) and never had any problem - guess I was very lucky indeed.

There are some pretty scary, hairy blokes out there in the outback. Back packers really need to be mindful of their surroundings. I often thought how easy it would be to 'disappear' in such an environment coming across the wrong person/s.

This guy is from Adelaide. Apparently a suburb not that far from where we live. The reporting seems to suggest they met him here.

I've often thought that too Flag.

I used to hitch-hike everywhere in my teens (in the UK) and never had any problem - guess I was very lucky indeed.

I did quite often too and it wasn't unusual for me to save my taxi/bus fare by walking home through some pretty rough places too at 2/3am. Now a Mother of two young women that memory regularly haunts me. Very very silly I was.