postage on children's clothes to the UK

hubbert0403

As far as I know duty/tax will still have to be paid, despite the fact that there is no tax on children's clothing in the UK. We posted some things for Christmas to my husbands niece and nephew about three years ago, and despite the items being clothing, and despite the items being marked as 'gifts', there was tax to pay. We decided it wasn't worth posting things over, in the end.

Happy to be corrected if anyone has any other information. It would be nice to be able to choose gifts personally, rather than just send a cheque or Amazon vouchers.

• 2 months later...
What will be the cheapest option to send a parcel to UK? I have a 1.5 kg parcel and I was quoted $85 AUD today at Australian Post???:mad:

The postage rates are actually going up from Monday for international postage. Sea mail would be the cheapest.

We have never paid tax on anything we have posted to the UK, clothes, gifts whatever. However the postage costs is almost like a tax:cry: several times the postage has been more than the value of goods:frown:.

I started using the gift card centre after getting stung an extortionate cost for postage (in relation to the item I was sending).

We have a box full of summer clothes we would like to send back to grandchildren in the UK but wonder if it still has to be under the £36 tax threshold or will they be duty free as no tax paid on children's clothes. Thanks in advance

Cut the tags off everything, bag it up, mark the customs declaration as second hand clothes with a value of $50 (£25) and youre sorted.

Or buy on line from uk site to be delivered. I send gift wrapped items this way to people in the uk. For kids look at wickeduncle.com. They do a fab range of gifts with a choice of wrap and even cards, though I do like to write my own. The gifts have been very good quality. Just about to order another for my niece. I stumbled on the site at Christmas and love it.

Or buy on line from uk site to be delivered. I send gift wrapped items this way to people in the uk. For kids look at wickeduncle.com. They do a fab range of gifts with a choice of wrap and even cards, though I do like to write my own. The gifts have been very good quality. Just about to order another for my niece. I stumbled on the site at Christmas and love it.

Thats a fantastic site.

Perfect for dopy uncles like our kids have.

Ill pass it on to them........

Archived