How long were you in temporary accommodation for?

trabonita

When we moved to nsw i was confident I could get a rental quickly so only booked one week, and did, it took a few days, not even a week n we left temp accomodation but that was Sydney, don't know what other places are like but if u can afford it book it for a few weeks so it's less stressful n u can take your time finding out what u want, I just don't like temp accomodation if I'm working n I had job to come to x

Hi trabonita, we always recommend that people have temporary accommodation for 2 to 4 weeks. Depending on where you are moving to in NSW, the Sydney property market is very tight and properties can come on and off the market in a day. Generally though it works on a 2 week cycle and we almost always secure a property for someone in that time. Though if you are waiting for your household goods to arrive and don't want to hire furniture we would recommend 8 weeks in temporary accommodation to allow for it to arrive and any custom delays. Hope this helps! Nicole Wildman

Booked three weeks in temp accommodation and moved into a rental after five days!!

I wouldn't recommend anything under about two weeks though - we were very fortunate and the temporary accommodation was too far away from where we actually wanted to be, so make sure you choose carefully - those five days in it were spend going up and down the motorway to where we actually wanted to be.

Thank you. Airbnb seems so expensive when you are looking for staying around 4 weeks. Where else other than stayz.com did people look for rentals?

I don't think you'll find cheaper than Airbnb, its certainly the cheapest option out there...and most hosts offer 15 to 25 % discount for a 4 week stay.

and don't forget some have flexible a cancellation policy...we found a few places, apartments and granny flats ( not a 5 star hotel, i know) for less than $2000 for 4 weeks...that's cheap, in my opinion.

Thank you. Airbnb seems so expensive when you are looking for staying around 4 weeks. Where else other than stayz.com did people look for rentals?

It is more expensive as your utilities are included in the price and of course they are furnished properties, so you pay for that luxury. Compared to hotels etc prices are not too bad for most places and dont forget to e-mail asking for a discount if you are staying 4 weeks, lots will give it but not advertise it.

A slightly cheaper option (depending on when you arrive) maybe a cabin in a caravan / holiday park.

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...

Most people who stay in our short-term accommodation stay 4 weeks and generally find a house in that time. We have had people who have booked for only 2 weeks and then been forced to accept the first house they find, which wasn't really the one they would have liked.

BB

Well I have booked 6 weeks in Mount Martha from April. Rental market still slow on available properties this time of year, still in holiday season mode.

I found it on stayz and asked 3 of them for a better deal. The one we picked was $1400 a week, reduced to $ 825 !! It pays to ask.

We came end of Jan, festival time! Struggled to get a longer short term let because of this as most had weekends booked out.

Managed to get 7 weeks though at a reduced rate as we also didn't require any servicing until the end. We timed it so that our container would be here and through custome about week 6 ( we had sent it before we left the UK)

Having lived here before we knew where we wanted to be and it still took us nearly 5 weeks to find somewhere, the landlord then sat on the paperwork for two weeks! We had to extend the rental, but it all came good in the end. The market was pretty quiet and we are fussy so guess it took longer for us.

The short term rental was expensive but worth it, much better than a hotel room, we could invite friends round for a meal, not have to eat out all the time and do our own laundry etc. Only a fairly grotty hotel in a less desirable area would have worked out cheaper all told, and to be honest after the long journey and all the stress...............

Add it to the budget.

Archived