Economy still strong and thriving

Shaunohan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia is actually on track to have created 1 million new jobs by 2018 so not sure where all the doom and gloom stories have originated from.

The services industry is really going gangbusters.

Service industry is generally low paid, short term (seasonal) lots of jobs going to Back Packers and 457's. In the mean time WA unemployment has increased to 6.6% in official figures and rising. But then this has all been said before and you prefer the official line.

Service industry is generally low paid, short term (seasonal) lots of jobs going to Back Packers and 457's. In the mean time WA unemployment has increased to 6.6% in official figures and rising. But then this has all been said before and you prefer the official line.

Do you mean waiters? or are there lots of backpackers in industries like insurance?

Even your humble coffee shop:

The coffee has been in imported by a purchaser (job)

Arrives in Australia goes through customs (job)

Moved from customs to warehouse (job)

Packaged (job)

Market/advertise/sell to coffee shops (job)

transported to coffee shops (job)

Do accounts (job)

make flat white (job)

WA unemployment has increased to 6.6% in official figures and rising.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/wa-unemployment-rate-drops-in-december-abs-figures-show/news-story/a1642b7e71876f8c9158c92fa3d3a80d

THE WA unemployment rate eased slightly to 6.3 per cent in December, a fall of 0.3 percentage points from November, Australian Bureau of Statistics figures released on Thursday show.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/wa-unemployment-rate-drops-in-december-abs-figures-show/news-story/a1642b7e71876f8c9158c92fa3d3a80d

THE WA unemployment rate eased slightly to 6.3 per cent in December, a fall of 0.3 percentage points from November, Australian Bureau of Statistics figures released on Thursday show.

Unlikely very reliant. Even if take the figures seriously. Mass redundancies in the Health area and additional resource area cutbacks. What is noticeable is the number leaving the state due to dire work prospects.

A pretty hard place to live without income even with Centre Link payment to which many will have likely no entitlement.

Meanwhile in the real world others are a little more worldlier and understand the manipulation of statistics. Never mind I guess the (not long ago) Back Packer bewilderment of the world will change with time.

I work with statistics every day have no problem with you saying they may be somewhat inaccurate, but then take all statistics with a pinch of salt from that source not just the one's you don't agree with.

As for your other comment - you are a strange bloke.

Service industry is generally low paid, short term (seasonal) lots of jobs...

I think you are confusing the service industry with the "serving" industry. The service industry includes anything to do with finance, insurance, property, health, education, transport, retail/wholesale, accommodation, communications, utilities, government administration, defence ...and there are plenty of highly paid, full time jobs in that lot.

The service industry is basically anything which isn't mining, manufacturing, agriculture or construction.

Statistics may not be finitely accurate but they do indicate which side of the line certain things are along with trending, But I suppose it is up to the individual as to how oneself accepts, interoperates such. As an example statistically approximately half of married couples are men whilst this is not finitely accurate some could argue that there are more women others will argue that there are more men, some will say the whole thing is rubbish because the figures do not include bigamists or cultures which allow several wives. Most reasonable folk do not have an agenda so would deem it as being acceptable

I think you are confusing the service industry with the "serving" industry. The service industry includes anything to do with finance, insurance, property, health, education, transport, retail/wholesale, accommodation, communications, utilities, government administration, defence ...and there are plenty of highly paid, full time jobs in that lot.

The service industry is basically anything which isn't mining, manufacturing, agriculture or construction.

I am well aware of the difference and tourism was discussed as being a major benefit to employment and is within the service industry. I'm pointing out while labour intensive it provides low paid jobs in the main as well as being held to market conditions.

Government administration and Health are cutting jobs in the WA arena and the onus has been on construction to replace a depleted mining sector. This in itself has created numerous additional problems to the economy as we see with excess construction and low debit that inflames spending on all fronts including housing being a stop gap at best, and a long term burden the likelihood. That includes the property and financial industry. Come much of this is left standing when spending in reigned in time will tell. We can't constantly spend out way into prosperity.

I work with statistics every day have no problem with you saying they may be somewhat inaccurate, but then take all statistics with a pinch of salt from that source not just the one's you don't agree with.

As for your other comment - you are a strange bloke.

Shall we say I'd rather be strange.....If you really work with stats you should then be aware of how figures can be manipulated onto an unwary public whom tend to take such official looking data at face value.

People want to believe something in a world of uncertainty. You'll get the hang perhaps.

Statistics may not be finitely accurate but they do indicate which side of the line certain things are along with trending, But I suppose it is up to the individual as to how oneself accepts, interoperates such. As an example statistically approximately half of married couples are men whilst this is not finitely accurate some could argue that there are more women others will argue that there are more men, some will say the whole thing is rubbish because the figures do not include bigamists or cultures which allow several wives. Most reasonable folk do not have an agenda so would deem it as being acceptable

They give an indication but in certain agenda driven hands can and are manipulated. I love data and figures as a footnote in order to gauge future probabilities.

Shall we say I'd rather be strange.....If you really work with stats you should then be aware of how figures can be manipulated onto an unwary public whom tend to take such official looking data at face value.

People want to believe something in a world of uncertainty. You'll get the hang perhaps.

One may then ask if your figures/claims are manipulated onto an unwary public? even where you get your figures from are you 100% certain they have not been manipulated? I would hazard a guess you choose the figures which best suit your normal doom and gloom agenda

Mass redundancies in the Health area and additional resource area cutbacks. What is noticeable is the number leaving the state due to dire work prospects.

Health hasn't happened. Will only be voluntary. Small numbers.

Resource industry is transient anyhow, they'll move to where the work is. (You don't seem to want the boom it provides, but hate the job losses when it goes)

So unemployed people leaving, will do what to the number of unemployed in WA?

One may then ask if your figures/claims are manipulated onto an unwary public? even where you get your figures from are you 100% certain they have not been manipulated? I would hazard a guess you choose the figures which best suit your normal doom and gloom agenda

Hey man what's you on about. Everything is AWESOME. Not a ripple in sight. Straylia the Promised Land gets better by the minute. Why? Because we're different.

Health hasn't happened. Will only be voluntary. Small numbers.

Resource industry is transient anyhow, they'll move to where the work is. (You don't seem to want the boom it provides, but hate the job losses when it goes)

So unemployed people leaving, will do what to the number of unemployed in WA?

I hated the boom and the job loses don't impact on me personally. Just remember the old Aussie saying. No matter how hard you try you can't polish a turd. The blow in's among us may not get the drift. Pretty much the way the cards are falling in WA.

I am well aware of the difference and tourism was discussed as being a major benefit to employment and is within the service industry. I'm pointing out while labour intensive it provides low paid jobs in the main as well as being held to market conditions.

Parleycross wrote

The services industry is really going gangbusters

Your reply

Service industry is generally low paid, short term (seasonal) lots of jobs going to Back Packers and 457's.

The status of tourism employees is not relevant to the overall state of the services industry sector....to which parleycross was referring... and which encompasses so many areas other than tourism. The low paid casual jobs to which you refer are a tiny part of the overall services sector. The highest earning salary categories in this country are also in the services sector.

Government administration and Health are cutting jobs in the WA arena

WA is only 10% of the population. It's what happens in NSW, Victoria and Queensland which determines the overall health of the services industry sector in Oz.

Edited by Skani

Hey man what's you on about. Everything is AWESOME. Not a ripple in sight. Straylia the Promised Land gets better by the minute. Why? Because we're different.

Flag, unlike yourself most people do not dwell on one aspect and claim it as a widespread norm, not everything country wide is AWESOME but there are a fair few places where it is. In South East Qld the company I work for have never been busier, yes some of the works we had had in the mining areas farther north have eased considerably but the majority of workers have transferred to where we have work. Also our works connected to the Commonwealth games on the Gold Coast have also eased but, as we did prior to that, and still have, other work there.

The company also during latter half of last year opened an office in Perth WA and now has several projects on the go. Was opening a divisional office there during such a 'bust' period a stupid or prudent move? Well for a privately owned company built up from nothing over 30 years ago to a $billion company now and with a workforce of over 1500, an office in every mainland State and Territory! I would have thought the boss knows what he is doing so I would hazard a guess at it being a prudent move.

Yes so Straylia can be the promised land if you want to look for and ride the crest of the ripples from where you can see further than the end of your nose! not stay in the troughs where you miss the views!