Dogs Die in Hot Cars

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Please, please, remember.

image.jpg

Another tragic case from Cairns

One of two dogs left in a hot car for more than two hours while their owner was in a Queensland court has had to be euthanized, despite the best efforts of bystanders to save them.

Although the passers-by were able to give the pups water until members of the Cairns council turned up and extracted them from the vehicle, the male of the pair, suffering from heat exhaustion, was put down after a veterinary examination.

The dogs can be heard panting heavily in a distressing video of the incident, which happened on Wharf Street yesterday, when the temperature soared to nearly 40 degrees.

"I was trying to put a bowl through the window and give them water," witness Kim Cassidy told The Cairns Post.

"We’ve been here for an hour in 36-degree heat.

"It’s hard to know there is nothing you can do about it."

On hot days, temperatures inside cars can be up to 30 degrees higher than the air temperature; Richard Wright, of the RSPCA, estimated that it may have been as hot as 50 degrees inside the car.

"It would be very excruciating for them," he told The Post.

"Would you do that to a person? Why do that to an *animal?"

The owner of the vehicle, Graham John Oakes, was arrested when he emerged from the court and will face criminal charges over the incident.

The female dog remains in municipal care.

image.jpg

I've often thought I should keep one of those gadgets to break car windows in the glovebox. One of my nightmares is getting stuck in the car after a crash - it happened to my boss with his kids, the crash bent the doors and broke the automatic window winders/locks so they couldn't get out. He discovered it's not as easy to break a window as you'd think!

So maybe I should get one - if I saw a dog in distress I'd break a window in a heartbeat, bugger the car.

Never, ever, ever leave the dog in the car. You can't even let the dog out for a walk on long journeys when it's super hot, we've had to park near grass and just do a quick wee run. No excuse for leaving a dog in a car, if you can't take dog with you, leave him/her at home where she/he can stay safe and cool.

Please, please, remember.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32475[/ATTACH]

Another tragic case from Cairns

One of two dogs left in a hot car for more than two hours while their owner was in a Queensland court has had to be euthanized, despite the best efforts of bystanders to save them.

Although the passers-by were able to give the pups water until members of the Cairns council turned up and extracted them from the vehicle, the male of the pair, suffering from heat exhaustion, was put down after a veterinary examination.

The dogs can be heard panting heavily in a distressing video of the incident, which happened on Wharf Street yesterday, when the temperature soared to nearly 40 degrees.

"I was trying to put a bowl through the window and give them water," witness Kim Cassidy told The Cairns Post.

"We’ve been here for an hour in 36-degree heat.

"It’s hard to know there is nothing you can do about it."

On hot days, temperatures inside cars can be up to 30 degrees higher than the air temperature; Richard Wright, of the RSPCA, estimated that it may have been as hot as 50 degrees inside the car.

"It would be very excruciating for them," he told The Post.

"Would you do that to a person? Why do that to an *animal?"

The owner of the vehicle, Graham John Oakes, was arrested when he emerged from the court and will face criminal charges over the incident.

The female dog remains in municipal care.

I love animals ,especially dogs .

What goes on in someone's head to leave pets in a car when its hot .....HELLO ..WAKE UP ! .

It makes me furious to see dogs left in cars,on their own ....period .

We had a police dog handler leave his two German shepherds in a van in the middle of summer ...no water ...with the windows shut ...****ing idiot .

He was in a meeting .

These dogs are more than companions ,they are often your best pal ,as mine is .

Its just bloody unthinkable to leave him in a car in the height of summer ...bloody furious

I love animals ,especially dogs .

What goes on in someone's head to leave pets in a car when its hot .....HELLO ..WAKE UP ! .

It makes me furious to see dogs left in cars,on their own ....period .

We had a police dog handler leave his two German shepherds in a van in the middle of summer ...no water ...with the windows shut ...****ing idiot .

He was in a meeting .

These dogs are more than companions ,they are often your best pal ,as mine is .

Its just bloody unthinkable to leave him in a car in the height of summer ...bloody furious

There is no excuse for abusing animals .

I would still like to be somewhere quiet ,alone ,with that bastard American who shot that lion ....I was very upset ....how could he do that ,and glorify in it ?

I've often thought I should keep one of those gadgets to break car windows in the glovebox. One of my nightmares is getting stuck in the car after a crash - it happened to my boss with his kids, the crash bent the doors and broke the automatic window winders/locks so they couldn't get out. He discovered it's not as easy to break a window as you'd think!

So maybe I should get one - if I saw a dog in distress I'd break a window in a heartbeat, bugger the car.

I've never seen one. Child or dog. But if I did, I would happily break the window, after a reasonable period of time. I'd happily buy a can of beans to do it with.