Non drivers wanting to emigrate

Bucklevitch

If you are used to not having a car then with careful selection of area you could manage perfectly fine without one here as well. Part of the problem is people with cars can never imagine living without them so think they are completely necessary.

Completely agree with this. I haven't owned a car for over 10 years, but have been fortunate to live in areas with good public transport and can still hire or borrow a car. We live in Sydney and still don't have car, but live on an excellent bus route and near to good train links - this was done intentionally, as we don't want HAVE to drive to get around. Infact I actively try to avoid becoming car dependent. We're also within a very easy walk of pretty much all the shops we need.

However, we still hire cars and borrow family cars from time to time, to reach areas that aren't otherwise possible to get to, days out or to do an Ikea / Bunnings run.

I'd say you don't need a car (depending where you live of coursee) but that's very different to not being able to drive due to lack of licence. The licence gives you a choice; you don't have to buy a car but it still gives you access to vehicles if needed.

Edited by vickyplum

Knowing the Sunshine Coast well I'd say you'd struggle without a car. Yes, you could 'manage' but to get anywhere else could be pretty difficult. Being fine walking is all well and good, but its the heat and QLD humidity that can make it really tough going. The humidity is something other states don't have to deal with.

Completely agree with this. I haven't owned a car for over 10 years, but have been fortunate to live in areas with good public transport and can still hire or borrow a car. We live in Sydney and still don't have car, but live on an excellent bus route and near to good train links - this was done intentionally, as we don't want HAVE to drive to get around. Infact I actively try to avoid becoming car dependent. We're also within a very easy walk of pretty much all the shops we need.

However, we still hire cars and borrow family cars from time to time, to reach areas that aren't otherwise possible to get to, days out or to do an Ikea / Bunnings run.

I'd say you don't need a car (depending where you live of coursee) but that's very different to not being able to drive due to lack of licence. The licence gives you a choice; you don't have to buy a car but it still gives you access to vehicles if needed.

You make a good point; though how do you find it driving so occasionally and in different cars and a different country. I feel I would get 'rusty' if I did that and would not be so confident behind the wheel. That would apply double if, like the OP, an inexperienced driver as they would inevitably be.

If you are used to not having a car then with careful selection of area you could manage perfectly fine without one here as well. Part of the problem is people with cars can never imagine living without them so think they are completely necessary.

I agree with that. i lived very comfortably in Sydney without a car for 6 years, and the only reason I got one was because I needed a car for my job. When I wasn't using it for work, it sat in the garage. I'd say anyone could manage without a car in a big city, even with kids.

The problem for the OP is that they're looking at the Sunshine Coast. Different kettle of fish!

Yes Perth was easy in most cases to get by without a car, even with it being one of the most auto centred places on earth. A big minus in my book, but like a say doable. In fact not particularly hard and certainly kept fitter pre auto days.

No idea in the area you desire to pitch tent. Sounds quite car centric as well. At least we have a choice of train or bus in the public transport domain. Check out how cycling is there? If that wasn't a ready option certainly wouldn't move there myself.

You make a good point; though how do you find it driving so occasionally and in different cars and a different country. I feel I would get 'rusty' if I did that and would not be so confident behind the wheel. That would apply double if, like the OP, an inexperienced driver as they would inevitably be.

That's a good point too! Yes I'm not as confident as other drivers, who are on the road more regularly, but I do pay very good attention during the times I do drive - out of paranoia mostly, and I know the more I drive, the less attention/caution will be given. And the less I drive, the less I want to drive... I enjoy driving an automatic but always feel there is something 'missing'!

No chance being at the Sunshine Coast without a car unless not working with plenty of free time. Brisbane would be doable, but would have to live in expensive inner areas like New Farm.

Putting general day to day work, school, shopping etc aside,,, How will you get out and about to see and do things?? Some of the best places we have visited in QLD are not on a bus route so it will be impossible to get out and explore your surroundings of a weekend if you dont have access to a car .

Cal x

I haven't been to the Sunshine Coast so can't comment on whether you'd need a car if living there or not, but one of the things that stands out in your message is that it's been your dream to emigrate. If this is the case then I'm sure you'll make it work even though it may be difficult not having a car. At 42 your time's starting to run out if you want to emigrate and it sounds like you could have a good opportunity if a large company may be interested in you. If you delay it, it may be more difficult further down the track as they may no longer need employees. I'd speak to them about where the job's based etc. and double check whether you need a driving licence for the job as many employers want you to have them.

I moved to Australia 2 years ago without a licence. We've lived in Adelaide and Albany, WA and I managed okay without driving - getting to work and back and to places local to those towns has been relatively easy. I'd taken lessons in the UK, hated driving, gave up and swore blind I'd never drive again. That changed when it dawned on me how huge the distances between some places are. I was lucky as my husband drives so we were able to get to places we wanted to see without public transport. I've now learned to drive and although I'm not fond of driving in cities I love being out in the country on the long roads. You say you'll most likely learn to drive - I'd definitely recommend it whether it's in the UK or Australia.

Best of luck whatever you decide x

You really need a car here just for the freedom and independence of being able to go where you want when you want. Don't bother learning in a manual car just get an automatic licence (most cars in Oz are autos). My mum didn't learn to drive until she was 45 - she's now 84 and still driving.