Poll; White Young Men Most Derided

Bobj

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/14/young-white-men-most-derided/

How very sad to read that.

Cheers, Bobj.

I could have told you that bob ,in fact I have eluded to it .

When you take away their national identity ,and push them to the back of the queue ,this is the outcome .

We cant talk about being British ,or having an ounce of patriotism its racist don't you know .

Lets celebrate everyone else's identity ,lets dye the water green in the fountains on st Patricks day ...lets celebrate diwhali and eid ,but don't dare mention st George

When you take away their national identity ,and push them to the back of the queue ,this is the outcome .

We cant talk about being British ,or having an ounce of patriotism its racist don't you know .

Lets celebrate everyone else's identity ,lets dye the water green in the fountains on st Patricks day ...lets celebrate diwhali and eid ,but don't dare mention st George

Disagree with your reasoning. We all have choices. I grew up a young white male and viewed so many of my peers in the poor area I was brought up exhibiting all these characteristics. In the main they were anti-education and obsessed with getting drunk and getting laid. If they worked they were feckless and thought nothing of throwing a sicky when hungover or just because they didn't feel like getting out of bed.

Disagree with your reasoning. We all have choices. I grew up a young white male and viewed so many of my peers in the poor area I was brought up exhibiting all these characteristics. In the main they were anti-education and obsessed with getting drunk and getting laid. If they worked they were feckless and thought nothing of throwing a sicky when hungover or just because they didn't feel like getting out of bed.

So how come this is a recent phenomenon ? .....

If you feed the families soaps ,x factor and tabloid newspapers ,throw in a bit of internet tittle tattle and a certain level of debt ,and you will keep them stupid .

Its education and identity .

These kids have no identity ,because its been stripped away ....you are saying to these kids ,don't celebrate your history or your identity .

But we will need you on the front line if there is a war .

We don't want you to be too smart ,because you will know too much and you will start asking questions .

Now get back on your sofa and watch the Tele ,there's a good lad

These kids need someone to join the dots ,they are not stupid .

Tell them about Syria ...tell them about the price of oil and why ....

But no one is telling them **** all ..

If you feed the families soaps ,x factor and tabloid newspapers ,throw in a bit of internet tittle tattle and a certain level of debt ,and you will keep them stupid .

These kids have no identity ,because its been stripped away ....you are saying to these kids ,don't celebrate your history or your identity .

We don't want you to be too smart ,because you will know too much and you will start asking questions .

People from all ethnic backgrounds have access to the same TV and the same education.

The main problem is the lack of heavy industries which used to absorb many of the uneducated and those who did not want to be educated. They do not even have the football hooliganism outlet that they used to have as they have largely been priced or policed out of attending and causing trouble there. Their opportunities are much more limited so they cause more trouble in town centres etc and this gets noticed more than the odd football match which was outside most people's compass.

They may or may not be stupid but there is a culture amongst young white males that actually lauds ignorance. In my experience that has been around for decades.

I am sure many of them are far more overtly patriotic than I am (for example) so cannot accept your premise that this is the issue.

You see a contrast with Asian kids who have an attitude that they must work really hard at school- especially those born overseas who have seen first hand what it is to have no chance of an education. A bit of appreciation from the locals would be good., guess they won't know what they've got 'til its gone as they say.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember a radio personality, 'What's My Line and Twenty Questions', Gilbert Harding, making a statement in the 1950s about "youths of today are spineless and spoonfed". Could be that he was right...

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes, but in many cases they are stymied by an older generation who exert too much influence, too many rules and too much control which does not allow enough scope for self determination - when you are pigeon-holed at birth. You don't think many underprivileged inter-racial kids aren't realizing this too? Many opportunities for creativity and self improvement are hampered for many youth because they are priced out of many of societies riches by the time they are out of the womb.

The odds are stacked against anyone who doesn't realize you've got to work damn hard to earn even a comfortable life.

Yes in a bid to see culture as some exotic force - we have failed to keep our own stories and perspectives legitimized.

Some great ideas expressed there. Know what? Still remain British. Just a little more fun place to be with a greater understanding of differences making us stronger.

George was from where? Remind me? And is celebrated by who else? Patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel and all. Are people really so insecure?

Hardly any one segment of the community being kept stupid. I certainly don't see a loss of white English identity. A growth in hatred of others does not suggest otherwise.

Nonsense from beginning to end. Social media plays as big a role as any in many of the problems as mainstream becomes more the norm not less. Up to each and every individual to keep themselves informed. And yes many may well be unversed to the vulgarities of the world and hence easy prey or dissociation with political and society workings entirely.

it's some stupid poll on some stupid website... all total rubbish... all these sites want is publicity, much the same with all this he's white, he's black, he's believes in this rubbish.... don't get sucked in i say

There are countless suckers around I'm afraid who will swallow, hook line and sinker such stuff. Long standing fears and prejudices able to see the light of day with such nonsense headline, attention grabbing trite.

it's some stupid poll on some stupid website... all total rubbish... all these sites want is publicity, much the same with all this he's white, he's black, he's believes in this rubbish.... don't get sucked in i say

Why is it stupid? Yougov is a highly respected polling organisation. Their data looks accurate to me - which element do you disagree with?

The only issue I might have is that the title includes 'derided' when the data suggests the subjects were merely in receipt of negative views. Someone might look down on a group, but that is not the same as deriding them - a rather more active response.

Some great ideas expressed there. Know what? Still remain British. Just a little more fun place to be with a greater understanding of differences making us stronger.

George was from where? Remind me? And is celebrated by who else? Patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel and all. Are people really so insecure?

yes. And dumb

Oh dear, someone didn't look properly, did they?

[h=3]YouGov data from 48 separate surveys reveals that young white men are seen as the worst ethnic, gender or age group on five negative traits – and the second worst on five positive traits[/h]

You see a contrast with Asian kids who have an attitude that they must work really hard at school- especially those born overseas who have seen first hand what it is to have no chance of an education. A bit of appreciation from the locals would be good., guess they won't know what they've got 'til its gone as they say.

A couple of days ago I was talking to a Chinese lady about her sons year 12 results. They had sent him to the best school in Melbourne which cost a small fortune. She was upset because he only achieved 94.5. Of course I disagreed and said it was a brilliant result but she was adamant that it just wasn't good enough. I feel sorry for Asian kids and the pressure they are under from parents. I have also known Jewish parents that have pushed their kids so hard it has resulted in mental illness.

A couple of days ago I was talking to a Chinese lady about her sons year 12 results. They had sent him to the best school in Melbourne which cost a small fortune. She was upset because he only achieved 94.5. Of course I disagreed and said it was a brilliant result but she was adamant that it just wasn't good enough. I feel sorry for Asian kids and the pressure they are under from parents. I have also known Jewish parents that have pushed their kids so hard it has resulted in mental illness.

With usually the same few career desirables to match. An illness of gigantic proportions within many Asian communities. Horrific of course in countries like Korea. Although in this particular case the parent may not have necessary been too upset.

A way of boasting can be said in the negative for effect without seemingly appearing boastful.

Even more derided over recent decades is white working class men on the scrap heap after 50 due to the ever changing work front. Higher divorce rates, often alone and with numerous mental health issues.

Whatever happened to inner city Black youth, long the bone of social dislocation and struggling to find a sense of belonging? Has that sorted itself out?

Since when has badly behaved young whites been on the front of the line in regards depravity and finding no sense in belonging. And if so blame it on the economic structures in place then.

@Thom i think i did look and made my own decision, based on my views.... surveys will never give a true representation, who filled in these surveys? probably a quite unrandom sector of the population... really don't know why i get sucked into these arguments

Paul I did market research for years, so I can only say it as I found it.

every market researcher has a certain number of people to interview, say 20 interviews a day, across every age group and social status often interviewing for a survey for 5 days, Multiply this by however many researchers interviewing all over the country. Obviously there will be the occasional hiccup but on the whole a pattern does emerge.

every market researcher has a certain number of people to interview, say 20 interviews a day, across every age group and social status often interviewing for a survey for 5 days, Multiply this by however many researchers interviewing all over the country. Obviously there will be the occasional hiccup but on the whole a pattern does emerge.

Well actually it doesn't. I worked in the area as well and discovered the charade it was. In fact I took legal action against my UK employer.

i totally understand what you're saying, just seems like opinions based on a small amount of trouble makers, same with every race, in my opinion more than 80% of young white men would be decent, dedicated people.... just bugs me when people get put into slots when the vast majority don't deserve to be tarnished