Australia: An American's View

Lambethlad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in the German part and the people there are even more "awkward" than the French side. In terms of costs, it's all relative as salaries are much higher here too. Scenery is wonderful, access to Europe is incredible.....but it's boring and socially awkward. I miss being able to crack jokes with strangers......strangers that actually understand a joke.

Interesting that you opted for Tas. I'm guessing it's more suitable for retirees than for people half way through their career. Is there much need for IT people in Tas?

Agree totally about boring and awkward got to add no sense of humour to that list. Back in the day when I was there I loved going to rock concerts and decent live music venues. Switzerland was so staid and set in it's ways and had nothing like that happening so I used to go across the border into Germany for my music experiences. There were a couple of half decent places in Lausanne and Montreux and I lived close to both but still a bit on the quiet side for me.

I'm a Brit currently living in Switzerland. I've got my own business which is doing pretty well......my daughter seems content in Kindergarten and my German wife who is desperate to leave.

We have PR for Australia, so how to does Aus compare to Switzerland? :)

That's a question that's impossible to answer accurately unless you've lived in both. I'm a Scot who lived in Australia for 30 years and have just spent 6 months back in the UK, so I think I can compare the two fairly well. However I've only spent holidays in Europe so my opinion is only my opinion. I would stay in Europe rather than move to Australia any time, though probably not Switzerland. And that's in spite of the fact that I prefer Australia to the UK.

Edited by Marisawright

They are changing the rules re super come January 2016. They are now factoring it into your pension which means the majority who have a work pension will no longer get a top up aged pension.We will lose our small pension and with it the benefits and so will most of our friends. We have has the letter about this.

They are changing the rules re super come January 2016. They are now factoring it into your pension which means the majority who have a work pension will no longer get a top up aged pension.We will lose our small pension and with it the benefits and so will most of our friends. We have has the letter about this.

I had to go and check on this because I wasn't aware of it. It looks like the changes affect only people who are receiving a "defined benefits" pension, which is mostly public servants. Very few companies offer defined benefits pension schemes any more.

Edited by Marisawright

I had to go and check on this because I wasn't aware of it. It looks like the changes affect only people who are receiving a "defined benefits" pension, which is mostly public servants. Very few companies offer defined benefits pension schemes any more.

It's actually many of the people who are already retired or are about to - whether they were/are public or private sector employees. Nowadays, defined benefits schemes are not open to new members, but they still have plenty of people who joined before they shut their doors. The recent changes are a case of levelling everyone down rather than raising some people up.

Still, if you vote for right wing parties, you can't be surprised when you get right wing governments.