Cutting it fine.....

Gareth 666

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted anywhere on here, even longer since I visited the migration section but I need a bit of advice please if anyone can help......

We had our visas granted a couple of years ago and we planned to move quite quickly while we were in the application process. However, as life has a habit of doing, things changed. DD got into a much better school and my job also moved a lot closer to home. We decided to let DD sit her GCSE's before moving as she is very settled and we thought that if we moved and things didn't work out then moving back half way through the GCSE courses wouldn't be fair on her.

Fast forward to now and DD is coming to the end of her GCSE's and we are looking to move next year. The thing is, again do we take her out before A levels and hope she slots into the Oz education system well enough for the last 2 years or do we let her sit A levels... The only issue with option 2 is her A level courses would finish in July 2018 and our visas expire in March 2018.....

So this is where I'm hoping for some advice. I've trawled the Immi web site but can't find any answers and their contact section doesn't help much either. Does anyone know, if we decide to let her sit A levels but I move before the visas expire, would the rest of the family still be able to follow on their visas?

TIA

The other members of the family will have to apply for a returning resident visa if you are not in Australia by the time that the visas expire.

It is not guaranteed to get one, but if you are in Australia when the rest of the family apply then they could use the 'substantial ties' argument in their application, based on the fact that you are there.

Thanks for the info, I'd forgotten about the RRV, probably because I'd always been under the impression you needed to have been in the country a good while before they'd consider granting one. The other point I forgot to add is DD will be over 18 by then so I wasn't sure if that would also count massively against her getting in.

if she is planning on moving here and working in Australia why dont you just come over and let her get some Australian qualifications? Will be more helpful for her finding a job or going to university here.

if she is planning on moving here and working in Australia why dont you just come over and let her get some Australian qualifications? Will be more helpful for her finding a job or going to university here.

I agree with @AJ above. Of course this will be a question for your daughter about what she feels is necessary for her. But, in my opinion she'd be better getting her college education in Australia and getting settled there, any later and she might start having issues with visas, though this is unlikely, it is a genuine possibility.

Thanks for the contributions. I think you're just confirming what I knew deep down but I always like to make sure I've checked all of the options. DD is currently doing 6th form taster days and applications so it seemed only right to see if there was any way to juggle things for her. I must admit that another 2 years of the UK as it stands isn't that appealing and although I like the company I work for, the shift pattern sucks.

As you have no idea if Australia is The Forever Solution I would be letting her finish A levels - they travel very well for Uni entrance too (better than the reverse). That also keeps all her options open for a UK Uni if that is what takes her fancy. If the rest of you head off within your visa time frame then she is in a better position for a RRV as all her family are going to be there. If Aus is The One then you/she haven't burned any bridges but if it all goes pear shaped then you may well have screwed up her UK options.

As you have no idea if Australia is The Forever Solution I would be letting her finish A levels - they travel very well for Uni entrance too (better than the reverse). That also keeps all her options open for a UK Uni if that is what takes her fancy. If the rest of you head off within your visa time frame then she is in a better position for a RRV as all her family are going to be there. If Aus is The One then you/she haven't burned any bridges but if it all goes pear shaped then you may well have screwed up her UK options.
Its easy enough to go back and do A levels if required at a college if they ever decided to return to the UK. Why stay another 2 years when they might be of no use to her at all?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Gareth, personally I would forget the A levels, even with a degree it can be hard to find a job as most prefer Aus qualifications or experience.

If DD is still wanting to make the move you are very lucky and I'd jump at it before she changes her mind.

What happens if during her next two years she meets a boy that she can't bear to leave? Will you put it off again until that relationship has run its course? On the other hand, if you come out here and she does Year 11 and 12, and then decides she wants to go to University in the UK, you may have trouble with having to pay international fees as she won't have been resident there for the three years prior.

What I am trying to say is there is no good time. Either bite the bullet and accept the downsides, or stay in the UK - it's not all peaches and cream here economically....

There are a number of factors to consider. If you make the move now or after A levels and she wants university, she wont get HEX funding as it is only available to citizens. At the same time, she couldn't go back to the UK for uni as she would be classed as none resident and liable for international fees.

There are a number of factors to consider. If you make the move now or after A levels and she wants university, she wont get HEX funding as it is only available to citizens. At the same time, she couldn't go back to the UK for uni as she would be classed as none resident and liable for international fees.

She might not qualify for a HECS student loan here but as a PR she will certainly qualify for a Commonwealth Supported Place (in other words a government-funded or subsidised university place). :yes:

The decision is yours and your family. My opinion is you already delayed for her to do GCSE's which is fair enough but if all of you want to go I would go before A-Levels that way she can get the qualifications she needs in Australia to either go into employment or go to university.

Why don't you sit down with her Gareth and have a chat about what her ambitions are, what her strengths are....what she sees herself doing.....and explain the possible scenarios for your emigration as a family etc....I'm sure she's mature enough to understand it even on a basic level.... It might help you all as a family if you discuss it together like that....and sometimes writing it down as a simple pros and cons list makes things clearer.

I'd say if this is something you've wanted, all of you....for long enough... Sometimes the waiting around wears you down, and it becomes like living in limbo.... I'd personally be inclined to make the leap sooner rather than later if you've already waited for gcses.... Maybe look into that international baccalaureate for her??...

All the very best of luck xx

Its easy enough to go back and do A levels if required at a college if they ever decided to return to the UK. Why stay another 2 years when they might be of no use to her at all?

It is no problem getting in an Australian university with A levels, they are pretty much international exams, as an A level examiner I marked papers from international schools all over the world.

Australian year 12 exams don't travel as easily but that's not to say you couldn't gain entry to a UK university, you absolutely can.

The IB is also a good option, a number of Scottish schools offer this again because Highers are not so widely recognised outside of Scotland in fact some do A levels.

Are you sure you just aren't finding / looking for reasons to delay the move?

I had the same thoughts when I read the post.

If the plan was to move over when your daughter finished her GCSEs, why didn't you have everything already booked and in place to head over to Australia as soon as your daughter finished her GCSEs eg flights booked, notice handed in, temporary accommodation booked etc or am I missing something?

Archived