Aged parent visa

Little grandad

Hi to everyone

we are looking for a bit of guidance as regards aged parent visas, we are seriously concidering applying for an 864 visa.

My questions are, as you have to be in Australia to apply, can you travel there on a tourist visa and without a return flight booked?

It's causing a bit of friction in our house as my Wife thinks we'll get sent home!

I hope someone has the answers or the experience

Geoff

If you go on a tourist visa then you are expected to be a tourist and, indeed, if you do rock up and appear not to be bone fide tourists you could well find yourself turned around at the border. Far easier to go with the CPV then you have no worries about entry.

Hi to everyone

we are looking for a bit of guidance as regards aged parent visas, we are seriously concidering applying for an 864 visa.

My questions are, as you have to be in Australia to apply, can you travel there on a tourist visa and without a return flight booked?

It's causing a bit of friction in our house as my Wife thinks we'll get sent home!

Geoff

The 864 in a "Contributory Aged Parent Visa" which is different to the "Aged Parent Visa".

Are you aware that the Immigration fees and bond for this visa will be in excess of $100,000?

Hi to everyone

Geoff

If you're going to go around the system why apply for an 864 Contributory Visa? Why not apply for a (non-contributory) Aged Parent Visa? As long as you don't have a "No further stay" on your visa and meet the requirements you can apply for either of these visas while in Australia. If of course it's obvious what you're planning when you rock up you will get put on the next plane back but considering how many tourists arrive from the UK I'm not sure how they'd spot that. I'd recommend having a return flight booked - but some (genuine) tourists do arrive without that so it's not necessarily a give away.

As you said yourself Little Grandad, you apply for the 864 onshore.

Every decent Migration Agent I've spoken to acknowledges that in order to do that, you need to arrive on a tourist visa.

Technically speaking, a tourist visa is for a temporary visit, but of course once there you can decide to apply for the 864 and stay - you will get a Bridging Visa & the grant time is only a few months . You're paying well for the privilege and this is perfectly in order.

The 804 by comparison is years & years . No contest.

If you're in any doubt, before you make a final decision ring around some MARA agents re. the legalities.

If you're going to go around the system why apply for an 864 Contributory Visa? Why not apply for a (non-contributory) Aged Parent Visa? As long as you don't have a "No further stay" on your visa and meet the requirements you can apply for either of these visas while in Australia. If of course it's obvious what you're planning when you rock up you will get put on the next plane back but considering how many tourists arrive from the UK I'm not sure how they'd spot that. I'd recommend having a return flight booked - but some (genuine) tourists do arrive without that so it's not necessarily a give away.

We've heard stories that people have been sent back to UK whilst on the very long waiting times for the non contributory visas, especially if you were to do anything classed as work, its a one way ticket back!

We are undecided as yet but thanks for the replies as we can put them all together and hopefully reach the best option for us

Geoff

As you said yourself Little Grandad, you apply for the 864 onshore.

Every decent Migration Agent I've spoken to acknowledges that in order to do that, you need to arrive on a tourist visa.

Technically speaking, a tourist visa is for a temporary visit, but of course once there you can decide to apply for the 864 and stay - you will get a Bridging Visa & the grant time is only a few months . You're paying well for the privilege and this is perfectly in order.

The 804 by comparison is years & years . No contest.

If you're in any doubt, before you make a final decision ring around some MARA agents re. the legalities.

So you think we'll get some free advice? I'll get my family in Oz to look up some local agents who l could perhaps e'mail. Thanks for the advice

Geoff