Are the politicians deliberately killing off skilled work to mass allow influx of immigrants?

Maggie2012

It's all well and good with massive foreign investment in new build projects but with some of the new trade agreements many are now allowed to bring in an all foreign workforce on these massive build projects. So no new jobs on these projects for local workers.

I'm sure that happens and we can all speculate about the future but I ride my bicycle past all the ones in this photo every day and they are full of local workers.

Edited by fish.01

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see how supposedly liberal and open minded people suddenly want a return to the White Australia policy!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I think they are more concerned with foreign ownership, local jobs and the economy aren't they ... no talk of immigrants here...

I think you are giving the politicians too much credit, what you are suggesting would require foresight and long term planning, I think it's more likely to be due to incompetence.

I agree but the problem is who is pulling the politicians strings, they are much brighter than the pollies and have their own financial aims and objectives and now have no allegiance to any country , their only intention is to enrich themselves.

If you look at the English speaking countries they are all lurching further and further to the right, with the exception of Canada which was possibly further along the rightward road than others and has suddenly realised what that means and is reassessing the implications, but for the rest they are infected with the American neoliberal extreme form of free market economics which sees monopoly power and control of markets as its ultimate aim, its only aim is to buy raw materials and basic building materials at the lowest possible price and sell the end product at the highest possible price, so if Chinese steel is cheap buy Chinese steel , Indian sub continent textiles cheap the same thing, steel production in the UK collapses that is a cost for the UK to absorb not global big business who are busily relocating to wherever they can pay least taxes and the English speaking govts are eagerly falling over themselves to accommodate them, Ireland desperately cutting taxes to attract them and all the while the shortfall in a country's tax income is made up by taxing its citizens more or by cutting their standards of living.

The country's which are expanding are those still with a MANUFACTURING base the others are destined to be either captive consumer markets or providers of raw materials at the lowest prices, for the UK we are the former and Aus the latter.

The countries with a manufacturing base are expanding their economies faster than any other economies and are using their new wealth colonising those countries which are becoming satellite, dependent states, as their own countries become less attractive to live in as they become the world's megafactories.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

I think they are more concerned with foreign ownership, local jobs and the economy aren't they ... no talk of immigrants here...

Is there a difference between foreigners who buy homes here and foreigners who migrate here and buy homes here?

Presumably they despise all the Poms who buy holiday homes in Spain for the same reason?

Is there a difference between foreigners who buy homes here and foreigners who migrate here and buy homes here?

Well presumably the concern is that there is a controlled intake of migrants who join the local economy and operate within it vs unlimited wealthy foreign nationals from external markets who price people out of this market without much skin in the local game...it is a different question.

Presumably they despise all the Poms who buy holiday homes in Spain for the same reason?

Well maybe not, but the Spanish residents would possibly have similar complaints.

Edited by fish.01

Well presumably the concern is that there is a controlled intake of migrants who join the local economy and operate within it vs unlimited wealthy foreign nationals from external markets who price people out of this market without much skin in the local game...it is a different question.

Well maybe not, but the Spanish residents would possibly have similar complaints.

Is there a difference between rich foreigners who migrate here and buy homes and rich foreigners who buy homes without living here? Either way locals are priced out of the market.

Is there a difference between rich foreigners who migrate here and buy homes and rich foreigners who buy homes without living here? Either way locals are priced out of the market.

Yes, my previous answer was trying to demonstrate that difference:

"controlled intake of migrants" vs "unlimited"

So people may accept the controlled number of people who come here and make a life here bringing their wealth into the market have the right to buy a house, but may not be so keen on an unlimited number of wealthy foreign nationals buying houses in a faraway country they have little interest in. They may even leave the house empty and unkempt.

"who join the local economy and operate within it" vs "from external markets who price people out of this market without much skin in the local game"

Presumably those who migrate bring their wealth, expertise, family and future to the economy as a whole versus potentially someone who just treats these houses as investment pieces on a monopoly board and has little emotional investment in the place and little else to contribute to its future.

Edited by fish.01

I can't see the difference as long s they are pumping money into our economy.

I'd rather have foreigners spending huge amounts of money buying homes than foreigners coming here with no money and being given homes.

It will eventually have to be accepted that foreigners willing to work will have to be encouraged to come to countries with ageing populaces and falling birthrates so xenophobia just won't be any longer fashionable.

I can't see the difference as long s they are pumping money into our economy.

I'd rather have foreigners spending huge amounts of money buying homes than foreigners coming here with no money and being given homes.

Sure, but to fair to the people on this thread those aren't the only two choices.

It will eventually have to be accepted that foreigners willing to work will have to be encouraged to come to countries with ageing populaces and falling birthrates so xenophobia just won't be any longer fashionable.

Yes, though in the Australian example they are talking about foreign nationals who are just buying homes rather than emigrating which is another topic I guess. Countries like Australia obviously already encourage working foreigners.

Edited by fish.01

The Australian taxpayer has been ripped off long enough for our infrastructure by Australian companies and workers. Here in south-east Melbourne we are desperate for new roads, bridges, freeways etc. If Chinese companies can build them in half the time for half the cost I'm all for it. Also I don't care if the Chinese are buying up the top end of the housing market. Most people could never afford to live in Toorak or Camberwell anyway. Hopefully it will trickle down and push up values in undervalued suburbs.

The Australian taxpayer has been ripped off long enough for our infrastructure by Australian companies and workers. Here in south-east Melbourne we are desperate for new roads, bridges, freeways etc. If Chinese companies can build them in half the time for half the cost I'm all for it. Also I don't care if the Chinese are buying up the top end of the housing market. Most people could never afford to live in Toorak or Camberwell anyway. Hopefully it will trickle down and push up values in undervalued suburbs.

The voters voted for Daniel Andrews so hard to argue with that.

He has not ripped anyone off. He is doing what he promised before the election.

There will be some road project anyway.

At least with the former it does not affect Aussies on the wait list for a council house, ten years in parts of NSW.

Sure, but again, this topic isn't about only having those two choices to choose from. So preferring one doesn't automatically make the other the valid choice.

That is true, but is Australia really heading into economic chaos, or are we just in another downturn?

There is nothing wrong with buying submarines from an ally especially if they are proven to work.

We don't build cruise ships in UK or OZ but we still generate a lot of money sailing them out of Southampton and Sydney.

The car industry was inefficient. I'm sad about that but propping up inefficient industries is not viable.

That is true, but is Australia really heading into economic chaos, or are we just in another downturn?

There is nothing wrong with buying submarines from an ally especially if they are proven to work.

We don't build cruise ships in UK or OZ but we still generate a lot of money sailing them out of Southampton and Sydney.

The car industry was inefficient. I'm sad about that but propping up inefficient industries is not viable.

I don't know enough about economics to have a certain opinion either way so I'll leave it up to the "experts". ;)

I'm sure that happens and we can all speculate about the future but I ride my bicycle past all the ones in this photo every day and they are full of local workers.

Non unionised ones tend to be anyone who would work for conditions on offer. Plenty of Irish and Asians on sights near me. One site pretty well bordered up from outside observation, appears almost all Asian when looked through a gap.

Interesting to see how supposedly liberal and open minded people suddenly want a return to the White Australia policy!

That may be your issue, but nothing to do with liberal minded people. What is wanted is an end to the Ponzi immigration scheme that the housing arena has come to rely on, the rorts concerning foreign workers, along with strict enforcement of overseas property buying laws.

Yes a vast difference. You cannot see the difference between a migrant and someone that wants to park money(made by whatever means) in a nations real estate, to often escape their own governments scrutiny, or at best to invest out of home country, often with no intention ever to settle in that country?

I don't know enough about economics to have a certain opinion either way so I'll leave it up to the "experts". ;)

No experts can tell you for sure. The tendency is to undermine the apparent severity by most economists whom are paid to present positive pictures. There is such a thing of talking an economy into recession and worse.

But in doing so some obvious warnings can be side lined or dismissed creating a greater problem as appears to have happened with a cheap money economic stimulant where housing was allowed to run far to long and too much a dominant role in the economy.

There appears a loss just what to do. (outside of the need to reduce costs)