My travel thread

Quokka2005

My parents are grey nomads.

They are somewhere along the west coast.

Please say hello to them if you see them on the way.

They have a 4x4 and a caravan, so shouldn't be hard to miss :laugh:

Was talking to the OH about an extended trip down-under as grey nomads and he'd never heard the term but I certainly fancy doing it, perhaps even working in some outback pubs like Stacey has, if they'll take old fogies :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
Was talking to the OH about an extended trip down-under as grey nomads and he'd never heard the term but I certainly fancy doing it, perhaps even working in some outback pubs like Stacey has, if they'll take old fogies :)

They certainly do take older people. You also find a lot offer free caravan hook up if you do a few hours maintenance etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
They go for ten weeks every year, they haven't seen a Melbourne July or August this decade.

Lucky buggers

We find a lot of grey nomads up here as winter starts in Melbourne and who can blame them, they have the best of both worlds.

God what a busy day ive had. Landed to the sunset. My friend that i made in the perth yha came to get me at airport. Then my friends from the outback town nessaged me and said they were in broome too! Which was very unexpected, i didnt expect them up so fast. Then i went to meet the girl im travelling with, shes very nice. So it ended up being me, them and my outback gang all together. Cheered me up seeing them again! Tomorrow we are all going to watch staircase to the moon and then my road trip starts on thursday hopefully

God what a busy day ive had. Landed to the sunset. My friend that i made in the perth yha came to get me at airport. Then my friends from the outback town nessaged me and said they were in broome too! Which was very unexpected, i didnt expect them up so fast. Then i went to meet the girl im travelling with, shes very nice. So it ended up being me, them and my outback gang all together. Cheered me up seeing them again! Tomorrow we are all going to watch staircase to the moon and then my road trip starts on thursday hopefully

Sounds fantastic Stacey!

Yeah it was nice seeing them, i didnt expect to. Theres supposed to be another 2 cars joining me and the girl and then a American guy is joining us too. Mixed feelings about that but i suppose its safer if we break down etc. My friends have said im a camping snob. That i need to embrace the lack of hygeine and not charging my phone etc. Its jakes fault.. we always paid for sites and they were usually powered which looking back was a waste of money

Lol, them and thousands of others. What a lovely trip. I can't wait until we can do the full journey one day. I would pick @Bobj and Jo up and we would just hit the road for a year, wow that would be my dream holiday.

in 7 weeks' time...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Yeah it was nice seeing them, i didnt expect to. Theres supposed to be another 2 cars joining me and the girl and then a American guy is joining us too. Mixed feelings about that but i suppose its safer if we break down etc. My friends have said im a camping snob. That i need to embrace the lack of hygeine and not charging my phone etc. Its jakes fault.. we always paid for sites and they were usually powered which looking back was a waste of money

Camping without power etc is fine. Embrace it, its an experience.

And stop having regrets about your trip woman! You paid for campsites and it cost a few $$, if you were happy and fine with that at the time, don't be annoyed about it now. Its done, you can't change it, go put your energy into something constructive and make sure you've got a multitool packed for the trip ;) Nothing like having a can/bottle opener/knife/fork/screwdriver and the kitchen sink sitting on a keychain to use as and when. If you are really worried about the hygiene aspect, invest in a couple of packs of baby wipes.

Nice one Hen xx

Beach loving, ice cream eating Ginge always having fun xx

I might get slated for this because i havent been here long but im not a massive broome fan. Cable beach was nice and ill put some pics up later. I had a walk around town and then went on the bus pretty much around the whole place. Im really looking forward to seeing staircase to the moon though aand im glad i came up since ive been able to catch up with my friends

I might get slated for this because i havent been here long but im not a massive broome fan. Cable beach was nice and ill put some pics up later. I had a walk around town and then went on the bus pretty much around the whole place. Im really looking forward to seeing staircase to the moon though aand im glad i came up since ive been able to catch up with my friends

Don't think you'll cop any flack Stacey. I know lots of people who've been to Broome and been underwhelmed. Only reason to go at this time of year is it's warmer than Perth. Some friends of ours are having a house built very close to cable beach so they can live up there in the colder Perth months. His wife suffers pretty badly with arthritis and it's loads better when it's warm. Can't wait for them to finish then we can go visit next July.

Maybe i bigged it up in my head too much.. who knows. I think i expected it to be more like port douglas or something. Its kinda like where i worked but just with more shops and a really nice beach. Quite a few problems with some of the aboriginal people from what i noticed but i was already told that anyway. One guy came up and started saying stuff to me then his not so happy looking mate came to join in so i made a quick exit lol. Im heading off in a min to the other beach. So glad that my visit managed to fit in with the staircase

Maybe i bigged it up in my head too much.. who knows. I think i expected it to be more like port douglas or something. Its kinda like where i worked but just with more shops and a really nice beach. Quite a few problems with some of the aboriginal people from what i noticed but i was already told that anyway. One guy came up and started saying stuff to me then his not so happy looking mate came to join in so i made a quick exit lol. Im heading off in a min to the other beach. So glad that my visit managed to fit in with the staircase

I think the government tried to clamp down on illicit booze getting into townships so it just made more problems for Broome.

Guest Unregistered
I dont have that much interest in going up to darwin. I think im happy to just go from broome to perth. It would cost even more money too and id have to wait around for a lift again. Hopefully i like exmouth etc. Maybe i'll even like karinjini. Im a bit pissed off that im probably not going to get to the red dog statue though. It was the one thing i wanted to see

Isn't the red dog statue at Karratha? If so its not far off the highway between Broome and Perth. You should be able to see it.

Pretty much what I suggested my feelings of the place were. You've got to get out into the landscape. Love the country up there. Broome somewhat meh.

Good time to be in town. Don't venture of the trodden path at night though. It can be nasty. The other beach, I guess you mean the town beach?