Moving to Sydney rather than Brisbane??

ClaireChris

It would appear you're in the minority here with that viewpoint.

Just because I am in the minority - does not mean I am wrong.

If you want to have the McMansion, a four wheel drive upgrade each year, send your kids to private schools, have violin lessons after school for them or get a new iphone every upgrade - then yes living on the North Shore would be impossible.

But otherwise quite easy on that salary. Especially short term for a year or two.

If you want to have the McMansion, a four wheel drive upgrade each year, send your kids to private schools, have violin lessons after school for them or get a new iphone every upgrade - then yes living on the North Shore would be impossible.

But otherwise quite easy on that salary. Especially short term for a year or two.

We are talking about a family with two children. I don't have kids so am not familiar with the extra costs they would have compared to us as a couple - but at the very least, that's two more people to feed and clothe, and they need space to play safely, extra storage for toys and clothes etc - they wouldn't be able to squeeze into a small two-bed apartment for long. Plus they would probably need two cars - one for the oh for work and one to ferry the kids around.

I would be more inclined to trust the judgment of parents who have posted here to say that salary would be difficult to survive on even in Brisbane - they've been there, done that.

Are you sure you read the salary properly? It's $75,000 not £75,000!

We are talking about a family with two children.

So am I. Throw a dog into the mix too.

Been there done that - that is why I commented.

Are you sure you read the salary properly? It's $75,000 not £75,000!

Yes I read the salary properly.

Very easy to live a good life on $75,000.

But again, as I said before, our family lives a unmaterialistic life quite happily.

So I cannot relate to people who want it all.

I can only answer this post from my own experiences of years of living on the North Shore on less than $75,000 a year. It can be done; if you want to do it.

I don't even have a credit card. You spend money you don't have. To buy things you don't need. To impress people you don't like. That is my general view of them. Since most people have several maxed out cards I know I am a rarity here.

So am I. Throw a dog into the mix too.

Yes I read the salary properly.

Very easy to live a good life on $75,000.

But again, as I said before, our family lives a unmaterialistic life quite happily.

So I cannot relate to people who want it all.

I can only answer this post from my own experiences of years of living on the North Shore on less than $75,000 a year. It can be done; if you want to do it.

I don't even have a credit card. You spend money you don't have. To buy things you don't need. To impress people you don't like. That is my general view of them. Since most people have several maxed out cards I know I am a rarity here.

Do you think possibly the cost of things (such as rents) may have gone up a little since you and your family lived the good life on $75,000 a year before taxes.

We could discuss this until the cows come home!

MY SUMMARY IS:

Living on the North Shore of Sydney comfortably IS possible on $75,000 or less.

We did it on considerably less – half of that in fact.

But I suppose it depends on what your own definition of “comfortable” is.

Unless you live way out in Woop Woop, then two cars in the city, is a luxury lifestyle choice in my opinion.

And if you want to run two latest model cars, big cars that are fuel guzzlers, live in a massive house with extra rooms for storing kids toys, send the kids to a private school, have a giant television, have a holiday house, have several investment properties, wear designer clothes, get a new iphone upgrade each year, eat caviar every day and other lifestyle choices…....then yes you will need considerably more than $75,000.

ClaireChris has already said that they don’t want to lose such a good job opportunity. So my suggestion is:

Family in Brisbane will always be there to fall back upon, but this job offer may be fleeting.

So strike whilst the iron is hot is my opinion. Take the job for 6 – 12 months and then transfer to Brisbane if you want to later.

You get the best of both worlds then. And working in Sydney always looks good on the resume.

I suggested Lane Cove for several reasons.

1. It is about ten minute drive from the job location in Chullora

2. It is on the North Shore like ClaireChris wanted

3. You can still get a nice rental unit without spending a fortune.

4. The children are both toddlers and don’t need a massive house and garden to toddle around in. Especially as there are ample parks, reserves, playgrounds and a national park catering for children already in the area. There are also good childcare centres in the area if required

(And if you need a big house with extra storage rooms for all their toys – then frankly they have too many toys!)

5. You do not need a second car. Lane Cove is easy to walk around and everything is close by. There is a good quick bus service to Chatswood shopping and it is only ten minutes into the city by bus. There is also the Lane Cove RiverCat Ferry Service to the city. And there is also an excellent safe enclosed bike track; from Lane Cove running up to almost North Sydney which lots of parents with children capsules use. Really there is no need for a second car.

6. Good facilities in Lane Cove. National Park for walking, riding and boating. Leisure centre for swimming and gym that caters for adults and toddlers. Good cafes, bank, post office, shops and library. There is even a childrens toy library. Compact village community feel. Pretty close to a safe swimming beach for children. Near large shopping areas if need be. You could walk into several areas like Crows Nest.

7. It will be a good experience to live in Sydney and then later Brisbane. Spread your wings a bit and all that.

To finish, I can only speak from my own experience and that of my family living a happy simple life on the North Shore (been there done that – that is why I commented).

Just because my views are in the minority here; does not make them wrong.

We could discuss this until the cows come home!

MY SUMMARY IS:

Living on the North Shore of Sydney comfortably IS possible on $75,000 or less.

We did it on considerably less – half of that in fact.

But I suppose it depends on what your own definition of “comfortable” is.

Unless you live way out in Woop Woop, then two cars in the city, is a luxury lifestyle choice in my opinion.

And if you want to run two latest model cars, big cars that are fuel guzzlers, live in a massive house with extra rooms for storing kids toys, send the kids to a private school, have a giant television, have a holiday house, have several investment properties, wear designer clothes, get a new iphone upgrade each year, eat caviar every day and other lifestyle choices…....then yes you will need considerably more than $75,000.

ClaireChris has already said that they don’t want to lose such a good job opportunity. So my suggestion is:

Family in Brisbane will always be there to fall back upon, but this job offer may be fleeting.

So strike whilst the iron is hot is my opinion. Take the job for 6 – 12 months and then transfer to Brisbane if you want to later.

You get the best of both worlds then. And working in Sydney always looks good on the resume.

I suggested Lane Cove for several reasons.

1. It is about ten minute drive from the job location in Chullora

2. It is on the North Shore like ClaireChris wanted

3. You can still get a nice rental unit without spending a fortune.

4. The children are both toddlers and don’t need a massive house and garden to toddle around in. Especially as there are ample parks, reserves, playgrounds and a national park catering for children already in the area. There are also good childcare centres in the area if required

(And if you need a big house with extra storage rooms for all their toys – then frankly they have too many toys!)

5. You do not need a second car. Lane Cove is easy to walk around and everything is close by. There is a good quick bus service to Chatswood shopping and it is only ten minutes into the city by bus. There is also the Lane Cove RiverCat Ferry Service to the city. And there is also an excellent safe enclosed bike track; from Lane Cove running up to almost North Sydney which lots of parents with children capsules use. Really there is no need for a second car.

6. Good facilities in Lane Cove. National Park for walking, riding and boating. Leisure centre for swimming and gym that caters for adults and toddlers. Good cafes, bank, post office, shops and library. There is even a childrens toy library. Compact village community feel. Pretty close to a safe swimming beach for children. Near large shopping areas if need be. You could walk into several areas like Crows Nest.

7. It will be a good experience to live in Sydney and then later Brisbane. Spread your wings a bit and all that.

To finish, I can only speak from my own experience and that of my family living a happy simple life on the North Shore (been there done that – that is why I commented).

Just because my views are in the minority here; does not make them wrong.

Sounds reasonable apart from ten minutes away from Chullora!

$75k is about $5,800 per month after tax.

Chullora is a bit out and Sydney traffic is horrendus so unless he enjoys commuting, you should pick somewhere close' ish to there. IMO, the North shore is too far to commute. I'm not a big fan of out that way but the inner west is between your OH's work and city and is pretty good Somewhere like Croydon or Straithfield could be doable. You are probably still looking at c. $2k+ pm for rent though. Sydney is expensive. I pay $2.7k pm for a 2 bed apartment in Balmain. Balmain is beside the city and is lovely so there are suburbs that are a lot cheaper.

I think what you need to weigh up is the benefits of a wage coming in straight away vs moving to where you want to be (Brisvegas) and having family close by. Sydney is expensive. What does your OH do? Could he work from home (Brissie) for a bit. Is the salary negotiable? What are his job prospects in Brissie? How long can you live (on savings) before he needs to work?

When you can answer those questions I think it may help clarify your decision. Writing down the pros & cons of your choices often helps clarify your thinking. Domain.com.au will give you an idea of rents in a particular area and googlemaps will show you commuting distances/times.

Good luck

We are family of 5 - 2 adults, 3 kids - well actually 7 if you count the cat and the dog. One car - 7 years old. Kids in public school, no overseas holiday in 10 years, dad a professional and me part-time - would I consider living in Sydney on $75,000 absolutely no way - we earn considerably more than that and sometimes things are tight.

We are not materialistic by any means, our car is 7 years old - Hyundai Imax, our tv is almost 10 years old, we don't buy the latest gadgets and I haven't bought new clothes for about 4 years for myself personally. Our monthly bill total before we pay the mortgage is $2,500. This includes the car loan and several personal insurance policies (life, tpd, income protection), foxtel (basic package), internet, telstra landline, 1 x mobile phone contract, gas, electric, water, home/content insurance, car insurance, health insurance. This does NOT include food, clothing for the kids, council rates, swimming lessons, extra activities for the kids, school fees, excursions, activities etc.

I have only just returned to work now that the youngest is at school as we couldn't afford me to go back to work as daycare/preschool fees were just too expensive and would have cost more than what I earnt. My son went to preschool last year 3 days a week for 6 hours each - this cost $10,000 for the year and is non rebatable as it was community care. We also don't have family here so it has been a big strain as we have never until recently had any 'us' time - a babysitter costs between $15 and $25 per hour. We don't like handing our kids over to strangers nor wanted to pay $60 for a sitter before we even factored in the cost of the meal, so we never used this option. We now finally have a network of friends that we can trust so we get to have a night out once in a while.

jumpingjellybean, you have got to be joking that you think that you can live on half of $75,000 in Lane Cove!

After tax, $37,500 becomes $635 a week. Assuming you can find a 2 bed apartment in Lane Cove for about $400 a week (is that even possible?) then that leaves you $235 for food, energy and public transport (no car). That is insane. Have you paid off your home maybe? Or do you get Centrelink support on that level of income? Whatever about $75,000, I am shocked by your claim that you lived on half that last year. There is something your omitting surely?! Maybe supplemented by savings?

I think $75,000 will be tight but everyone is different. I am constantly inspired by this blog by someone who retired at 30 because they lived frugally and saved sensibly.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Guess we're all different. One of my daughters supports her family ( husband doesn't work and hasn't for 12 years) on a modest income but they have paid off their mortgage, have 2 kids at private schools etc. BUT they live very, very frugally, no smoking , drinking etc and rarely go anywhere. Personally I'd rather jump in the lake but that's me.

Lane Cove to Chullora is 25 to 30 minutes even in light traffic - done it many times when I was working in that area. In peak hour, it's more like an hour.

Might have been confusing Chullora with Chatswood, which probably is about ten minutes from Lane Cove? Are there any other "C's" in that part of Sydney? I'm just checking in my Aussie road atlas which I bought in Coffs Harbour on 27 October 1991. Chiswick, Cheltenham, Cammeray, Crows Nest, Castlecrag, all nice Aboriginal names!

Guess we're all different. One of my daughters supports her family ( husband doesn't work and hasn't for 12 years) on a modest income but they have paid off their mortgage, have 2 kids at private schools etc. BUT they live very, very frugally

Definitely do-able if you've paid off the mortgage - the problem for the OP is that they'll have to find around $30,000 a year to pay rental costs, and that will punch a huge hole in a $75,000 salary.

Archived