Computer help needed please?

Jacaranda

Hi all,

Im hoping someone out there that's computer savvy can advise me please?I have two computers.A laptop and a desktop.When I use the desktop,if I go onto the Hotmail site,where you tap in your email address and password,they are already there?I haven't ticked the "Remember my password"box,so why is it appearing automatically?The laptop is fine,everytime I go onto Hotmail,I have to use my details to log in,so why is this happening on the desktop?I've tried logging in,then out,and straight away logging back in,and yes the details are then already there?Help please?How can I remove the details?TIA xx

Hi all,

Im hoping someone out there that's computer savvy can advise me please?I have two computers.A laptop and a desktop.When I use the desktop,if I go onto the Hotmail site,where you tap in your email address and password,they are already there?I haven't ticked the "Remember my password"box,so why is it appearing automatically?The laptop is fine,everytime I go onto Hotmail,I have to use my details to log in,so why is this happening on the desktop?I've tried logging in,then out,and straight away logging back in,and yes the details are then already there?Help please?How can I remove the details?TIA xx

Which browser are you using? Whichever one it is, take a look in the Settings. They all have a place where you can choose whether it remembers passwords or not.

If you can't find it, let me know which browser it is and I'll look it up.

Hi all,

If you're using Internet Explorer,

• Click the Tools button f2d3a394-a4c3-4747-989e-cf3f6b782b2f_43.jpg, and then click 'Internet options'.

• On the Content tab, under AutoComplete, click Settings.

• Clear the User names and passwords on forms check box, and then tap or click OK.

Thankyou all for replying,so kind of you to help me!:cute:Ok so I just cranked up the desktop,and decided to delete the "history".I noticed there is a section (box)which says something like "Within the last day,or week,month or beginning of time (lol)so I clicked the latter.Then I went onto Hotmail,and hey presto,the login details have disappeared!Yayyyyy!I will try it again tomorrow just to double check they are still secure,so thanks again,lovely people,much appreciated!xxx

decided to delete the "history".I noticed there is a section (box)which says something like "Within the last day,or week,month or beginning of time (lol)so I clicked the latter.Then I went onto Hotmail,and hey presto,the login details have disappeared!

That's fine, but if you've got your Settings set to "remember passwords", then it will happen again after you log on next time! So it's worth checking that too.

Not necessarily though, you will usually be asked at log in to tick the remember password option.

It depends. If you tick the "remember password" on a site like hotmail, that's telling the site to remember your password, not your browser.

Every browser has a place in the "Settings" menu, where you can tell it whether to remember passwords for you - if it's ticked, then all passwords will be remembered.

Some security/anti-virus programs offer the same thing.

Thanks again,just to add I have never clicked the "Remember password"section so it was puzzling to see the details were already there.Atm it looks to have worked,but as I said,I will log back into that computer tomorrow to double check.Marisa I will check that section out you mentioned.Thankyou!:smile:

Thanks again,just to add I have never clicked the "Remember password"section so it was puzzling to see the details were already there.Atm it looks to have worked,but as I said,I will log back into that computer tomorrow to double check.Marisa I will check that section out you mentioned.Thankyou!:smile:

Have you changed the browser you're using, e.g. were you using IE and now using Chrome? Sometimes the default setting on installation is to remember passwords, and just occasionally it defaults back to that when there's a browser upgrade.

It depends. If you tick the "remember password" on a site like hotmail, that's telling the site to remember your password, not your browser.

Every browser has a place in the "Settings" menu, where you can tell it whether to remember passwords for you - if it's ticked, then all passwords will be remembered.

Some security/anti-virus programs offer the same thing.

Chrome also have a form fill option, where I type my email and it fills in the form.

Amazon have similar things, when you enter the last four digits of your credit card.

These things, whilst reducing your security, do make the internet easier to use.

Archived