Hiring a car in the UK

Cal2

No we didn't think so. i did look at using our UK licenses as they are still linked to my sisters UK address, seems they wouldn't be valid anyway as we don't actually reside in the UK. If you hire on a UK address and license you need to prove it by producing utility bills as well.

just hire on your Aus one.

You will need to use your Aus license, though it should not affect any hire rate. as an aside I have had the best deals for my last 3 visits to the UK from Europcar, through the main .com site not the UK one, hope the link works https://www.europcar.com/offers/spring-online-savings#fromHP=true&place=big-3 beat what any search engine was coming in with.

Happy travels.

We have found Europcar the cheapest. We are just about to book for xmas. Something that surprised me was having to get a international drivers permit. First time I've rented . The international permit is $39 from RACQ from what I could gather .

We have found Europcar the cheapest. We are just about to book for xmas. Something that surprised me was having to get a international drivers permit. First time I've rented . The international permit is $39 from RACQ from what I could gather .

What country is your licence from? We have not got international permits.

Australian license. We did just ring Europcar earlier today. They have told us we have to get a permit before we could book a car for pickup in Uk. It's fine to drive on Australian license , just needed the permit to book the car which as I say seemed odd. Has anyone else who has booked through Europcar in Australia experienced this ?

Australian license. We did just ring Europcar earlier today. They have told us we have to get a permit before we could book a car for pickup in Uk. It's fine to drive on Australian license , just needed the permit to book the car which as I say seemed odd. Has anyone else who has booked through Europcar in Australia experienced this ?

Never had to do that for whatever company we have used do not book Europcar through their Aus or UK sites. Just try it on line through the main .com site on the link I gave earlier.

Ring back and talk to somebody that knows what they are doing because that someone doesn't know what they are doing. We travelled back four or five times, always pre-booked the car from Australia and there is no permit process.

Booked, went with a Astra ,no international permit needed. Sorry for false information , Original sales consultant needs to be sacked. Australian license, passport and return ticket was requested on pick up.

Op , didn't mean to hijack your thread ..

Never heard of such a thing! We got a very good deal with Hertz (much to our amazement as I'd always thought they were dear) and no problems with an Aussie licence. Later on we hired in Bournemouth and Enterprise was by far the cheapest, also no probs on an Aussie licence.

International permits are for one purpose and one purpose only: To provide a translation of your Drivers Licence. If you're hiring a car in the UK they will be able to read your Australian Drivers Licence without referring to a translation so you do not need an International permit whatever the idiots on the phone tell you. If you're planning to hire a car somewhere that they don't speak English you might need the International permit but English is such an international language it's rarely necessary.

Booked, went with a Astra ,no international permit needed. Sorry for false information , Original sales consultant needs to be sacked. Australian license, passport and return ticket was requested on pick up.

Op , didn't mean to hijack your thread ..

Could you advise as to how much and for how long? just so others can compare deals. Also which office/site you went through.

Archived