Is Education Free in Sydney for 7 Year Old?

Ainell29

Hi everyone...I just had my 457visa (working visa) approved and hopefully starts work by January in Sydney. I have a 7year-old-

1. would school be free like here in UK or do I have to pay?

Depends what State you will be living in.

No Govt imposed fees in Victoria, but there are some "voluntary" individual school fees for admin, and other stuff; a few hundred dollars for a Primary school aged child. Plus school uniforms of course.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

Hi everyone...I just had my 457visa (working visa) approved and hopefully starts work by January in Sydney. I have a 7year-old-

1. would school be free like here in UK or do I have to pay?

Yes you will pay $5k up front each year because you're only temporary and NSW charges. You might do it a little bit cheaper if you're Catholic with a strong commitment to a religious education for your child but then it will be around the $3k mark. Temporary visas aren't great for families.

Yes you will pay $5k up front each year because you're only temporary and NSW charges. You might do it a little bit cheaper if you're Catholic with a strong commitment to a religious education for your child but then it will be around the $3k mark. Temporary visas aren't great for families.

Thanks for the reply- the $5k per year is that public school or private school (not-religious school)?

Thanks for the reply- the $5k per year is that public school or private school (not-religious school)?

That is a public school. A private school cuould be up to $80k a year depending upon which private school you chose! I know my old boss send her girls to an $80k a year school anyway.

Yup, public and I believe they aren't obliged to offer a place in a part clear school, unlike other residents who have a right of entry into a zoned school. The privates range anywhere from $10kpa to $80k pa as Bungo has sad. It's definitely something to be aware of when signing up as a temporary resident in NSW, ACT or WA.

which one is better do you think- public schools or catholic schools? what's the difference apart from of course the other one has i pressure got religion subject.

Much of a muchness really. You may struggle to get a child into a Catholic school unless you have a Catholic background or overtly Christian ethos about life.

I know for sure that the Catholic school in our area is fairly full, and this last year they were even having to turn Catholic families away (my friend is Catholic and had to look at other options for her daughter). You will also have other payments at public school. We pay something in the region of $300 for the kids essential learning materials, sport things and a 'voluntary' school contribution, plus there is uniform, shoes, excursions and incursions, band fees and so on. I think in some cases they will waive the $5k fee, but I think that that is in cases of extreme financial hardship or if there are multiple children at school.

That is a public school. A private school cuould be up to $80k a year depending upon which private school you chose! I know my old boss send her girls to an $80k a year school anyway.

$80K a year? Really?? Most top private schools in Victoria are around $20-$30K a year. Melbourne Grammar, Geelong Grammar, Haileybury, Brighton Grammar, Firbank Grammar etc.

$80K a year? Really?? Most top private schools in Victoria are around $20-$30K a year. Melbourne Grammar, Geelong Grammar, Haileybury, Brighton Grammar, Firbank Grammar etc.

I agree that the $80k figure - even for Sydney private schools - is excessive and probably incorrect. Most 'elite' private schools in Sydney charge within the range you have quoted.

The Scots College - which is always one of the most expensive private boys' school in Sydney - currently charges just over $30k per year for Year 12. Even if you add on annual boarding fees of $15k the fees only reach $45k.

I suspect the $80k figure quoted was for multiple children.

• 3 weeks later...

Shool feels are approx 5K per year (just paid mine for my boys $1250 and $1500 per 1/4) but you can apply for a hardship exception, this is not as hard as you would think. The threshold is quite high and is called the Henderson poverty line. This takes into account your income and also the number of children in education. It is free to apply for the exemption and you can apply online before you come to Australia:

Check if you qualify at: http://www.parent24.com/Tools/SchoolFees

then fill out the form: http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/fee-exemption.pdf