Miserable in brissie!

Simonrbh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's just not for me

Well you had better move then. Simple.

So before people start saying it looks wonderful and how envious they are of the views and how they'd live here at the drop of a hat

Why can't I say this. It is true.

Doesn't help you much that is true.

But looks like you have made your mind up already. And nothing I will say will have any impact. So I may as well tell you that you are lucky to live there and I am envious.

End of story. Nothing else to say.

I'm also glad to Ggs for pointing out possible tax implications of renting out.

The tax implications may not be too bad. The first thing you do is get a Depreciation Report on the house from a qualified valuer. Then each year you can claim a set amount of "depreciation" off your tax. It works best if it's a new property - when I owned my investment property, my depreciation was so high that it didn't just offset the tax due on the rent, I got a refund on my regular tax as well! If the property is old, it may not be much - but every little helps. You can also claim all your expenses, like advertising for tenants, agent's fees, rates etc.

Of course, renting may feel like dead money, but then you'll have the rent coming in from the house.

On another note, it seems to me that your problems are made far, far worse by the job you've got. Have you thought about looking for a job in Brisbane instead? You'd have to settle for something more junior, or perhaps something outside your usual career altogether - but IMO that would be a small price to pay. I believe there's a train to Brisbane, the station is about 20 minutes from you and your total commute would be an hour or so. Then you'd have the great advantage of being IN Brisbane when you knock off work, and therefore it would be easy to stay on for the pub, clubs etc.

Edited by Marisawright

My personal view that everyone living in a rural community should do their bit to protect that community. In your case volunteering with the rural fire service in Dayboro would also allow you to meet people and begin to feel part of the community.

http://www.daybororuralfire.com.au/index.php?page=home.php

Great idea. One of my friends moved out to the edges of Sydney. Her new husband had an established property out there and they had a baby on the way so it made sense to do so, but she loved Sydney city life and was really worried about the move. She joined the rural fire service even though she was dubious about doing so (she's petite and not exactly a weight-lifter physique!), but she now says it was her saviour. They do a lot socially together as well as regular training.

Jjb - I'm not saying you can't say what you have said. What I'm trying to point out is that just because you personally find it an attractive proposition as a place to live doesn't mean that another person has to feel the same way. There are positives and negatives to anywhere you live and in my current situation it appears to be more slanted to the negative side. If I'd already made my mind up then I wouldn't be open to suggestions, like your excellent one of the meetup website, or discussion either.

If if you're truely considering moving here you'd be more than welcome to come and stay to see if the reality fits your dream before making such a commitment, I wish I'd had such an opportunity! Who knows, you may even want to buy our property!

Well you had better move then. Simple.

Why can't I say this. It is true.

Doesn't help you much that is true.

But looks like you have made your mind up already. And nothing I will say will have any impact. So I may as well tell you that you are lucky to live there and I am envious.

End of story. Nothing else to say.

On the plus side, good selection of Sausages in Dayboro

Oh you've been to the butcher as well.

We have friends in Dayborough, they love it, but it wouldn't suit me.

hope the op sorts something out, sounds as though compromises will have to be made.

Hi Simon,

I feel that I understand you and where you are coming from. Going stir crazy when you 'appear' to have everything that is good in life can be hard to deal with. Thought I'd throw my thoughts in to the mix for what it's worth!

With regards to where you live - how many people live there and what sort of ages? Would it be possible for you to set up a group that is of an interest that you are longing to join and see if local residents would be interested in joining something that you run? Is there a community hall or village hall type of set up that could be used for an evening event once a week or weekends at all?

With reference to your relationship with your partner - well, sometimes we outgrow each other. The things we did have in common can change or we change and they don't, or they change and we don't. Personally, I don't believe in marriage (have never been married) and would 'commit' to someone on the basis that we stay together for 'as long as we make each other happy'. I would hate to think that someone was with me because they felt they 'had to be' or were 'trapped' with me. Much as it would hurt me if someone I truly loved left me (and believe me - they have!) I think it is more upsetting to feel alone in a relationship than to be alone by yourself.

Forgive me for saying this, but from what I can read of your post it would appear that you and your partner now have separate interests, wishes and desires, and one of you will possibly be unhappy with any compromise that is reached. We only have one life, and we owe it to ourselves to make it count. It may seem selfish, but life is damned miserable when you are living it for someone else instead of you. Material things that we own will not make one jot of difference if we are desperately unhappy inside. To quote one of my favourite sayings:

It doesn't matter where you go in life, what you do, or how much you have - it's who you have beside you.

If the person beside you is no longer really 'beside' you then things get so much harder.

I hope you find what you need to make things better and to feel happier.

Hi Simon,

I feel that I understand you and where you are coming from. Going stir crazy when you 'appear' to have everything that is good in life can be hard to deal with. Thought I'd throw my thoughts in to the mix for what it's worth!

With regards to where you live - how many people live there and what sort of ages? Would it be possible for you to set up a group that is of an interest that you are longing to join and see if local residents would be interested in joining something that you run? Is there a community hall or village hall type of set up that could be used for an evening event once a week or weekends at all?

With reference to your relationship with your partner - well, sometimes we outgrow each other. The things we did have in common can change or we change and they don't, or they change and we don't. Personally, I don't believe in marriage (have never been married) and would 'commit' to someone on the basis that we stay together for 'as long as we make each other happy'. I would hate to think that someone was with me because they felt they 'had to be' or were 'trapped' with me. Much as it would hurt me if someone I truly loved left me (and believe me - they have!) I think it is more upsetting to feel alone in a relationship than to be alone by yourself.

Forgive me for saying this, but from what I can read of your post it would appear that you and your partner now have separate interests, wishes and desires, and one of you will possibly be unhappy with any compromise that is reached. We only have one life, and we owe it to ourselves to make it count. It may seem selfish, but life is damned miserable when you are living it for someone else instead of you. Material things that we own will not make one jot of difference if we are desperately unhappy inside. To quote one of my favourite sayings:

It doesn't matter where you go in life, what you do, or how much you have - it's who you have beside you.

If the person beside you is no longer really 'beside' you then things get so much harder.

I hope you find what you need to make things better and to feel happier.

This is so valid and well-written. Having been 'trapped' and miserable myself in the past in a failing marriage and, for the past 12 years or so, in what I like to see as a successful marriage I can fully relate to these sentiments. When we committed to marriage (my 2nd) it was with a single pact and that was that for each of us our goal was to make the other happy. We have never forgotten this and this simple pact makes it easy for us to compromise with joint decisions on all the important things.

Whether a couple actually 'marry' though is immaterial of course.

These thoughts had crossed my mind in relation to Simon's well-expressed posts but I doubt I could have encapsulated those thoughts as well as you have here.

Perhaps the hardest part can be determining the point at which the divide becomes unbridgeable. Many extol the virtue of relationship counselling which I have never considered personally as it seems fundamental to me that partners should have and retain the ability to communicate their innermost thoughts, concerns and wishes with their partner. If you are both able to do this and each of you place the other's happiness above your own then you have something worth keeping in my view.

I was in there last Christmas getting the meats for the festivities and spent a considerable amount of money. I asked the young lad behind the counter for some streaky bacon (to make pigs in blankets). He didn't know what I meant so I told him it was the thinner part of the full rasher and went to look at the display cabinet whilst he sorted it. When I came back to the counter he informed me that his boss had said he couldn't do streaky bacon. I found this rather strange because you could have short cut, which is the other half! The boss was there but never uttered a word. I've not been back there since, but like you say, great sausages……..at a price!

On the plus side, good selection of Sausages in Dayboro

Thanks for the advice on renting, I'll look into how much we could get in rental so I know what we can also afford to pay out in renting.

As far as the job goes, I actually already work in Brisbane CBD. My background is in the manufacturing of home and personal care products. I have a wide range of transportable skills and knowledge but unfortunately the 'natural fit' jobs are all South of Brisbane, like Yatala, which isn't feasible for a commute. With the current job market as it is I've ended up taking a basic level position on a 24hr a week basis for a 12 month contract. I commute 50kms each way by car or motorbike 4, sometimes 5 times a week due to the working hours being from 06:30 to midnight any day of the week, including public holidays. I'd love to perhaps have a night in the city after work but then I couldn't have a few drinks due to having to drive or ride back the 50kms home. Only last week I encountered a random breath test road block on the way home from work at 13:30, which seemed a strange time of day to have such a thing! On Saturday night I finished at 23:00hrs and the if I'd joined the guy going to watch the rugby at The Pig & Whistle it would mean heading home 01:30-02:00 in the morning! Ideally I need to be closer to a rail connection for social events.

Like you say, I'm already outside my usual career and continuing to look at all avenues for opportunities to provide the work/lifestyle balance that is of high priority to me. As far as the job market goes, it all seems doom and gloom at the moment with redundancies and restructuring announcements virtually every week. Even in the organisation I'm currently working for, there has been a major restructure in the last 18 months and even in the last 2 months they've announced further sites to close and all the distribution drivers are also going to be made redundant. Over 50% of the staff are part-time like myself. I took the position I have to get some aussie work history on my CV/Resume. My UK qualifications cannot be transposed into the aussie equivalents so are not internationally recognised.

I hope the RSL Lottery or Golden Casket comes in soon!

The tax implications may not be too bad. The first thing you do is get a Depreciation Report on the house from a qualified valuer. Then each year you can claim a set amount of "depreciation" off your tax. It works best if it's a new property - when I owned my investment property, my depreciation was so high that it didn't just offset the tax due on the rent, I got a refund on my regular tax as well! If the property is old, it may not be much - but every little helps. You can also claim all your expenses, like advertising for tenants, agent's fees, rates etc.

Of course, renting may feel like dead money, but then you'll have the rent coming in from the house.

On another note, it seems to me that your problems are made far, far worse by the job you've got. Have you thought about looking for a job in Brisbane instead? You'd have to settle for something more junior, or perhaps something outside your usual career altogether - but IMO that would be a small price to pay. I believe there's a train to Brisbane, the station is about 20 minutes from you and your total commute would be an hour or so. Then you'd have the great advantage of being IN Brisbane when you knock off work, and therefore it would be easy to stay on for the pub, clubs etc.

Edited by Simonrbh

Like a lot of posts, both Rachel and Ggs have very eloquently worded their replies to embody what is truly important to most, if not all of us.

This is so valid and well-written. Having been 'trapped' and miserable myself in the past in a failing marriage and, for the past 12 years or so, in what I like to see as a successful marriage I can fully relate to these sentiments. When we committed to marriage (my 2nd) it was with a single pact and that was that for each of us our goal was to make the other happy. We have never forgotten this and this simple pact makes it easy for us to compromise with joint decisions on all the important things.

Whether a couple actually 'marry' though is immaterial of course.

These thoughts had crossed my mind in relation to Simon's well-expressed posts but I doubt I could have encapsulated those thoughts as well as you have here.

Perhaps the hardest part can be determining the point at which the divide becomes unbridgeable. Many extol the virtue of relationship counselling which I have never considered personally as it seems fundamental to me that partners should have and retain the ability to communicate their innermost thoughts, concerns and wishes with their partner. If you are both able to do this and each of you place the other's happiness above your own then you have something worth keeping in my view.

I was in there last Christmas getting the meats for the festivities and spent a considerable amount of money. I asked the young lad behind the counter for some streaky bacon (to make pigs in blankets). He didn't know what I meant so I told him it was the thinner part of the full rasher and went to look at the display cabinet whilst he sorted it. When I came back to the counter he informed me that his boss had said he couldn't do streaky bacon. I found this rather strange because you could have short cut, which is the other half! The boss was there but never uttered a word. I've not been back there since, but like you say, great sausages……..at a price!

Coles is now (recently) selling the streaky ends of bacon as a separate item, but like you, I always wondered (before), as to what they did with the other half as they'd been selling short cut for as long as I can remember