How do you succeed in your new life in Australia?

MARYROSE02

I think most the negative posters are really bemoaning Australia not meeting the lofty expectations they set for it from watching wanted down under or from holidaying in benidorm. Turns out you still have to go to work, inner city living is still expensive etc...

There are some negative posters who exaggerate, but equally there are many who are just trying to correct the "lofty expectations" of others.

Personally my blood runs cold when I see someone posting here to say, "Me, the wife and the five kids are off to have a wonderful new life in Australia, we're looking forward to a beach lifestyle, more time with the kids, a nicer house, permanent sunshine, yadda yadda...." I'm not going to keep my mouth shut in that situation but will try to inject a bit of reality.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a "ping pong Pom" when my parents were alive, going back very two to four years from anywhere from six weeks to twelve years. My parents made frequent trips to OZ too.

Now, I've been back in Sydney for nearly seven years with no trip to England.

If you go back to the UK with every intention of returning to Australia, it doesn't count as ping ponging! Ping ponging is when you decide you don't like Australia and go back to the UK, then decide you don't like the UK and migrate to Australia again, then....

There are some negative posters who exaggerate, but equally there are many who are just trying to correct the "lofty expectations" of others.

Personally my blood runs cold when I see someone posting here to say, "Me, the wife and the five kids are off to have a wonderful new life in Australia, we're looking forward to a beach lifestyle, more time with the kids, a nicer house, permanent sunshine, yadda yadda...." I'm not going to keep my mouth shut in that situation but will try to inject a bit of reality.

"You are five years old now and old enough to know that there is no Father Xmas."

If you go back to the UK with every intention of returning to Australia, it doesn't count as ping ponging! Ping ponging is when you decide you don't like Australia and go back to the UK, then decide you don't like the UK and migrate to Australia again, then....

I know I was unsettled and unhappy and felt trapped. I did not plan things. They just happened. 12 years is a long time to go back too. At times I wanted to go back and forth but was too scared to get on a plane

Don't set your expectations too "low" either! Britain in the sun? No. "Australia in the sun. It's been chilly and windy the last few days in Sydney though.

I got up at 4 am to watch English football, Spurs losing to Arsenal, with the usual mix of "Sterling" and "Currency" i. e. Poms and Aussies.

The pub opened up for us at 4 45, laid on doughnuts and croissants, no boozing. I'm not sure if the bar was open for alcohol? I had coffee and after game went to Cafe Foveaux in Foveaux St for brekkie with one of the guys, and then I spent the day in bed

.[ATTACH]31340[/ATTACH]

You can't beat a good English breakfast on occasions. Not the healthiest of things perhaps but darn good. Although I'd go double, poached egg if possible, with beans as well as sausages, tomatoes and chips. Not forgetting the rashers, preferably English, but Danish also good. This was called a Builders Breakfast in London at the local caf I'd purchase it. Bottomless coffee as well. All for about $6 to $7 Aussie during the 90's. Set you up all day. Place heaving with construction workers in the morning with the odd tourist . Quite liked the atmosphere and banter actually as well as the brekkie.

I know I was unsettled and unhappy and felt trapped. I did not plan things. They just happened. 12 years is a long time to go back too. At times I wanted to go back and forth but was too scared to get on a plane

I find the opposite if I didn't get on a plane and recharge the batteries at least every eighteen months I'm not sure I could last. My time in Italy and Malta last year saw me pass an option to go to Germany this year. My partner went alone I was happy enough to remain behind.

I was a "ping pong Pom" when my parents were alive, going back very two to four years from anywhere from six weeks to twelve years. My parents made frequent trips to OZ too.

Now, I've been back in Sydney for nearly seven years with no trip to England.

I suppose I was in reverse though. Oz and I just weren't made for a happy partnership in previous stays. Too slow. I mean being young and having Europe at your finger tips why would one really bother?

I suppose I was in reverse though. Oz and I just weren't made for a happy partnership in previous stays. Too slow. I mean being young and having Europe at your finger tips why would one really bother?

You mean that the southern hemisphere countries are all second rate compared to Europe, though many of them have histories and cultures longer and more diverse than Europe.

Further, "newer" does not mean less interesting in the case of OZ and NZ.

You can't beat a good English breakfast on occasions. Not the healthiest of things perhaps but darn good. Although I'd go double, poached egg if possible, with beans as well as sausages, tomatoes and chips. Not forgetting the rashers, preferably English, but Danish also good. This was called a Builders Breakfast in London at the local caf I'd purchase it. Bottomless coffee as well. All for about $6 to $7 Aussie during the 90's. Set you up all day. Place heaving with construction workers in the morning with the odd tourist . Quite liked the atmosphere and banter actually as well as the brekkie.

Before I stopped eating meat I used to enjoy a good English breakfast. In the mid 70's OH and I used to go to a cafe on the edge of Hampstead Heath which did fabulous breakfasts. John Conteh and Frank Bruno the boxers used to train nearby and often had breakfast there. They were lovely blokes and had double portions of brekky.

Some people are trapped and unable to return. Kids/partners don't want to leave for example. Maybe to whinge is their coping mechanism.

Yes I think it's a coping mechanism and it applies to Aussies in the UK as much as Brits in Oz. It's the same mechanism that operates after a divorce - you have to convince yourself that you really are better off in your new life, so you choose to remember all the bad points about your old life, and conveniently forget the positives.

Although much less than years ago I have had people say to me 'it must be better over there (in Australia)' when pressed and asked in what way do they think it would be 'better' it usually ends up coming down the the weather but they also assume that you miraculously have more free time to spend with your family. As I say this is much less frequent than it was say 20 years ago when we were here but some still have this preconceived image.

Maybe some of us just like it for what it is in the here and now...

The majority of poms I know are like me having a ball, that may be an age thing, we had our kids youngish, mortgage by 20 years old. Kinda of done a lot of the hard graft.

yes we still have to do it here, but we realise what's Important to us and immediate family time and time with friends just enjoying life, is what its all about now. We can have that lifestyle here, but we couldn't in the UK.

I think you can have as much leisure time as you are willing to make time for. We can do ours in the evenings or weekends, if you work Fiifo you do it when home.

You mean that the southern hemisphere countries are all second rate compared to Europe, though many of them have histories and cultures longer and more diverse than Europe.

Further, "newer" does not mean less interesting in the case of OZ and NZ.

I mean London and Europe was the place to be from I guess the fifties through to well hard to say, the eighties. I mean anyone interested in the arts, culture, music and a sense of freedom prevailed not immediately apparent in Australia.

No doubt these points wouldn't matter to many, to others having that escape route was close to life saving. At some point Australia became a 'safe' country to return to as the repressive atmosphere diluted over time and it became far more interesting here.

Some people are trapped and unable to return. Kids/partners don't want to leave for example. Maybe to whinge is their coping mechanism.
Yes that is a big one. People don't realise that their kids often have little feeling for Britain and no desire to live there if parents want to bail. Although I have known the opposite with kids coming out here at a younger age and preferring life in Britain or another country and parents left beached in Oz.

It is normal to miss things especially when aging. Not unheard of by far for people wanting to see out their autumn in country of childhood. Migrating can indeed be a poison chalice.

$10 for the meal and $3.50 for coffee.I prefer porridge and a banana but once in a while....

$10 for the meal and $3.50 for coffee.I prefer porridge and a banana but once in a while....

I used to breakfast out most Sundays during the late 90s/early00's. Somewhere along the line they lost me when a breakfast starting approaching the $20 mark. In fact places in Perth I know charge $26 and coffee not included. Something no better than I would pay less than half for in London during 2010.

I've never had a banana porridge in Oz for breakfast (outside) but brings to mind a very famous eating house on Penang Island in Malaysia, famous for such a breakfast. They were full every morning with appreciative western travellers. (not back packers in those days)Best I ever tasted. Many moons ago.

I used to breakfast out most Sundays during the late 90s/early00's. Somewhere along the line they lost me when a breakfast starting approaching the $20 mark. In fact places in Perth I know charge $26 and coffee not included. Something no better than I would pay less than half for in London during 2010.

I've never had a banana porridge in Oz for breakfast (outside) but brings to mind a very famous eating house on Penang Island in Malaysia, famous for such a breakfast. They were full every morning with appreciative western travellers. (not back packers in those days)Best I ever tasted. Many moons ago.

I would but call it "banana porridge"', more porridge with a banana mashed into it.

I'm trying to economise more now, but I like to see people in the Cafe and read the papers

Archived