How do you succeed in your new life in Australia?

MARYROSE02

And as for "cliquey"!!! If you don't contribute to the knocking of Oz and Aussies, or try and defend 'em, you get the bird within 5 minutes.............how I stuck another 25mins is beyond me :-) Well it isn't really. I just stood on the sidelines for a while listening and thinking, "this is just how I imagine a social circle of the usual suspects on PIO would sound like if they got together. There was nothing in their conversation that didn't revolve around how, "they'd do this better in the UK" or "I don't know how I'll manage without my Walkers prawn crisps" or, "I think it's ridiculous that I had to get this or that certificate" blah blah blah Excuse me??? You knew that before you came here so why, after being here for 2 yrs, are you still whingeing about it?

Tonight I'm in the pub with six Aussies with me the lone Pom, but I no more notice the fact they are Aussies, than I would notice they were English if I was sitting with group of Poms in England.

But then I don't seek out other Poms, not being homesick, so I don't encounter the sort of people who spend their time alternately knocking Oz and lauding England.

Tell you a true story. One of my kids ( Aussie born) invited a couple of other Mums for a coffee. They were both poms. She will never ask them again because they spent all their time whinging about Australia and Australians and how bad the teachers were etc etc ad nauseam. They are the sort that give others a bad name and how rude of them when my daughter is an Aussie. Her Aussie friends all say the same about these two.

Yes I can see that some people are genuinely trying to help, sometimes we all get caught up in what has been right for us we forget it's not about us. I just remember how if I'd listened to a few who ( years on ) are still here on this forum saying how awful it was here and how we'd starve and be homeless , we would have not come and the last 5 years wouldn't have happened. Luckily some lovely people who'd made the move just before @HappyHeart you know who you are and others unfortunately no longer on here. But yes you are right balance should be there.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately I think the whole process of immigration turns some people round the twist, nutters around every corner :laugh: Or are they all normal and Im the nutter? Either way I'm the happiest :wink:

Yeah! They're even worse when they return to the UK if PIO is anything to go by, and as for our resident ping ponger!???? He gets the best of both worlds, being able to knock both eh? ;-)

Tonight I'm in the pub with six Aussies with me the lone Pom, but I no more notice the fact they are Aussies, than I would notice they were English if I was sitting with group of Poms in England.

But then I don't seek out other Poms, not being homesick, so I don't encounter the sort of people who spend their time alternately knocking Oz and lauding England.

The thing is it is just human nature, get Aussies over here and all they do is knock this country and make unfavourable comparisons. We used to live opposite a Greek man in Geelong and he would endlessly complain about Australia and again make unfavourable comparisons to Greece. As I say it's just human nature.

I only ever met one Aussie in the UK in my entire life. I've seen a few people refer to what Aussies are like in the UK. There's not that many is there? Or was it just where I was. The Aussie I knew was on a WHV in between studying to become a Doctor and was working in the Civil Service in admin, I was his manager. He was a lovely lad.

The thing is it is just human nature, get Aussies over here and all they do is knock this country and make unfavourable comparisons. We used to live opposite a Greek man in Geelong and he would endlessly complain about Australia and again make unfavourable comparisons to Greece. As I say it's just human nature.

My OH is Australian and he lived in the UK for 12 years give or take when he wasn't travelling around other countries. He used to meet up with loads of Aussies in a pub in Camden, London and I'd tag along. They were all having a great time. Never heard anybody slagging England.

My OH is Australian and he lived in the UK for 12 years give or take when he wasn't travelling around other countries. He used to meet up with loads of Aussies in a pub in Camden, London and I'd tag along. They were all having a great time. Never heard anybody slagging England.

Yeah funny that? I never met one Aussie when I lived there, although that was 20 yrs ago. It surprises me just how many folk outside of London seem to have met Aussies, and those Aussies all just happen to be whingers. What's even more surprising is the folk who live outside major cities and yet have met Aussies when they've only been back in the UK a couple of years, and yet myself, having lived in 6 major cities, I never met one in 45 yrs? Strange that eh? ;-)

You were very lucky ;)

I worked in London for a large global telecoms firm for almost 10 years and worked with loads of Australians. Never heard them whining either.

I worked in London for a large global telecoms firm for almost 10 years and worked with loads of Australians. Never heard them whining either.

Worked with very many Aussies in London financial services over the years. Me too, never heard any of them complain about the UK. They all seemed to be there because they were enjoying themselves and liked it there. And in Australia, nobody was ever unpleasant to me and it was more likely to be me that might point out or refer to my being a non Australian.

I have to say reading this thread has been a breath of fresh air, my partner and I are due to arrive in Victoria in March next year and we've been reading some of the more negative threads with a bit of apprehension. However our plan is to fully embrace the fact we're in a new country, to make an effort not to constantly compare it to life back here in the UK but just immerse ourselves in the culture and get involved in the local community and see where life takes us.

Good on you lot for going out there and getting your heads down and making the life for yourselves that you wanted, I hope to count myself among your number some day soon.

I guess the young Aussie backpackers in London get homesick like the Pommie ones here, but if they stay in the UK to live, as some do, they gradually "become" a local, as we do here.

Most Aussies I meet don't even notice I'm English, unless I joke about cricket or Pommie beer, as I sometimes do.

I don't notice they are Aussie either.

One difference being in a city as mixed as London it is east to maintain identity and not become 'local' in tone unless want to. I've met both lots. Some after x number of years still drunk in Aussie themed pubs and sounded like they disembarked from last nights boat. Others there only a few years and adopted a very English manner through and through.

I understand less back packers are washing up on UK shores these days and more going to work in professional roles (banking etc) I'd expect they would fit in rather well. Who wouldn't? High income living in London.

I have to say reading this thread has been a breath of fresh air, my partner and I are due to arrive in Victoria in March next year and we've been reading some of the more negative threads with a bit of apprehension. However our plan is to fully embrace the fact we're in a new country, to make an effort not to constantly compare it to life back here in the UK but just immerse ourselves in the culture and get involved in the local community and see where life takes us.

Good on you lot for going out there and getting your heads down and making the life for yourselves that you wanted, I hope to count myself among your number some day soon.

There's a very vocal minority here I wouldn't worry about it. Don't set your expectations too high or expect Britain in the sun and you should be fine.

I worked for the Institute of Chartered Accountants in the education department for years and the high achievers moved to London and New York to work in the large chartered firms to gain experience and sample a different lifestyle for a few years.

*This is reply to Flag's post*

It is largely due to similarities. Australia is probably the easiest ' foreign' country ' for a Brit to come to. It doesn't mean it will be successful. Sometimes a place more 'foreign' could even prove easier as one goes there with the expectations of difference.

It would appear many haven't travelled very much so likely any move would be a challenging experience. Be that within England even. The cost and distance only aggravate the perceptions of difficulty.

There's a very vocal minority here I wouldn't worry about it. Don't set your expectations too high or expect Britain in the sun and you should be fine.

Realistic expectations would be the way to go. I don't see a particular very vocal minority on here if you mean rubbishing Australia. It is necessary to point out potential concerns. I expect most will only read what they want to confirm their desired outlook anyway.

Realistic expectations would be the way to go. I don't see a particular very vocal minority on here if you mean rubbishing Australia. It is necessary to point out potential concerns. I expect most will only read what they want to confirm their desired outlook anyway.

Concerns like Brisbane raining every day in summer? Or grocery prices without factoring IIn the local wages while using a historically low exchange rate to base it off.

Or that you have to work way longer hours etc etc...

I think most the negative posters are really bemoaning Australia not meeting the lofty expectations they set for it from watching wanted down under or from holidaying in benidorm. Turns out you still have to go to work, inner city living is still expensive etc...

I think it's Zack. He didn't like England at all when he went back for a while but he now hates being back in Australia. Poor soul.

I expect the poster has been short changed perhaps with the resource down turn. Some folk are meant to wander the earth in search of the unknown and intangible. I include myself on that holy grail quest though probably to a lesser extent than once. Not a question of hating more of experiencing.

Concerns like Brisbane raining every day in summer? Or grocery prices without factoring IIn the local wages while using a historically low exchange rate to base it off.

Or that you have to work way longer hours etc etc...

I think most the negative posters are really bemoaning Australia not meeting the lofty expectations they set for it from watching wanted down under or from holidaying in benidorm. Turns out you still have to go to work, inner city living is still expensive etc...

I am certain you are correct. People are easily enticed. Easy peasy to get many folk to believe something with the right amount of spin and with repetition.

Still the price of a roof over ones head should be a matter of serious concern though.

Don't set your expectations too "low" either! Britain in the sun? No. "Australia in the sun. It's been chilly and windy the last few days in Sydney though.

I got up at 4 am to watch English football, Spurs losing to Arsenal, with the usual mix of "Sterling" and "Currency" i. e. Poms and Aussies.

The pub opened up for us at 4 45, laid on doughnuts and croissants, no boozing. I'm not sure if the bar was open for alcohol? I had coffee and after game went to Cafe Foveaux in Foveaux St for brekkie with one of the guys, and then I spent the day in bed

.uploadfromtaptalk1443074484403.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443074484403.jpg

Don't set your expectations too "low" either! Britain in the sun? No. "Australia in the sun. It's been chilly and windy the last few days in Sydney though.

I got up at 4 am to watch English football, Spurs losing to Arsenal, with the usual mix of "Sterling" and "Currency" i. e. Poms and Aussies.

The pub opened up for us at 4 45, laid on doughnuts and croissants, no boozing. I'm not sure if the bar was open for alcohol? I had coffee and after game went to Cafe Foveaux in Foveaux St for brekkie with one of the guys, and then I spent the day in bed

.[ATTACH]31340[/ATTACH]

Yum!!!!

Who is 'our resident ping ponger? Sounds rather ideal being able to give regular updates through being on the spot.

I was a "ping pong Pom" when my parents were alive, going back very two to four years from anywhere from six weeks to twelve years. My parents made frequent trips to OZ too.

Now, I've been back in Sydney for nearly seven years with no trip to England.

Archived