UK TV in Australia

norge

The longer you are here the better Aussie TV becomes! I only watch Foxtel anyway.

You have got to be kidding !

Been here 7 years, they used to have a few reasonable Aussie dramas, like Rush, city homicide etc. Now it is just fluffy stuff like house husbands, winners and losers.

Only half decent stuff is some drama on ABC (that gltch thing was a bit naff though - should have been good) and UK series.

With footy finals, saturday night is uk repeats on abc

However, if you like non stop reality shows then I guess it is good, as there is nothing else on.

As you only watch Foxtel it probably sums up your view of free to air.

We used to have Foxtel but it was a waste of money. Free to air is dire .................. absolute rubbish. Occasionally watch ABC or SBS.

You could be right, but how do you define "waste of money"?

I pay $93 per month (less than my phone) but I get a lot of pleasure from both.

I could, and do, watch EPL games in the pub, but that has costs too.

You have got to be kidding !

Been here 7 years, they used to have a few reasonable Aussie dramas, like Rush, city homicide etc. Now it is just fluffy stuff like house husbands, winners and losers.

Only half decent stuff is some drama on ABC (that gltch thing was a bit naff though - should have been good) and UK series.

With footy finals, saturday night is uk repeats on abc

However, if you like non stop reality shows then I guess it is good, as there is nothing else on.

As you only watch Foxtel it probably sums up your view of free to air.

I got Foxtel for the sport, EPL primarily, but I like Sky news and many of the HBO programmes.

Free to air is poor but free. Without Foxtel, I'd just watch SBS and ABC, or not watch at all, or listen to more radio.

You could be right, but how do you define "waste of money"?

I pay $93 per month (less than my phone) but I get a lot of pleasure from both.

I could, and do, watch EPL games in the pub, but that has costs too.

Foxtel was only $40 per month when we had it (shows how long ago) and yes, because we aren't really a TV watching family it was a waste of money. I also rarely use my mobile phone.

We used to have Foxtel but it was a waste of money. Free to air is dire .................. absolute rubbish. Occasionally watch ABC or SBS.

I also think that ABC is going to seed. They seem to be chasing the commercial channels. A shame they don't realise people watch the ABC to get away from that. In particular the morning news with the inane chit chat, junk movie reviews etc.

It should be called the Virginia Trioli show. When interviewing she talks over the experts to make sure we all know her point of view. She treats the co presenters as her sidekicks, especially that Michael Rowland who she treats like some kind of toyboy.

If it was the other way around, older bloke with young woman, can you imagine the criticism.

I also think that ABC is going to seed. They seem to be chasing the commercial channels. A shame they don't realise people watch the ABC to get away from that. In particular the morning news with the inane chit chat, junk movie reviews etc.

It should be called the Virginia Trioli show. When interviewing she talks over the experts to make sure we all know her point of view. She treats the co presenters as her sidekicks, especially that Michael Rowland who she treats like some kind of toyboy.

If it was the other way around, older bloke with young woman, can you imagine the criticism.

Not all people watch or listen to the ABC to get away from the commercial TV and radio channels, but the ABC is supposed to be for ALL Australians, which means making shows that are aimed at the masses.

I'm afraid you'll find British TV has gone much the same way, while you've been gone.

Like you, the British series and drama specials have always been the highlight of my TV viewing in Australia. So I was looking forward to living in the UK and seeing even more of that kind of programming.

But guess what? There is no "more". ALL the good stuff is bought by the Australian stations and shown in Oz. The rest of British TV is just as cr@p as Australian TV. It's been over-run by the same reality shows - selling property, buying property, renovating property, building property, beauty makeovers, weight loss, embarrassing bodies, buying and selling antiques, cops or customs or airport documentaries. In fact, most of those reality shows were invented in the UK and Australia has just copied them, I think! The other reality genre is the benefits cheat - there are several shows on that topic.

Apart from that, British TV is full of repeats of old series - which are excellent, and I'm enjoying some of them, but they are repeats (some of them several years old), not new shows, and they were all shown in Australia too.

• 3 weeks later...
More like you get used to the crap the longer u are here lollll

+1

Personally, I find this is great though. Because it's so utterly shite here I'm happy to turn it off and do something else. Anything is better than watching garbage like "The Block", "MKR", "Masterchef", "Shark Tank", "The Voice", "The X Factor", "Dancing with the Stars" and all the other junk. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than spend an evening watching puerile crap like that. Even the sports coverage is pants - Channel 7 do a great job covering the AFL, but how many advert breaks can you squeeze into to a game?! Same with the cricket on 9. The England v Australia RWC match last weekend even had ad breaks when they were setting up for a lineout!

Has anyone else noticed how loud the backing music is on all these type of shows by the way? You can hardly hear what the people are saying half the time.

The longer you are here the better Aussie TV becomes! I only watch Foxtel anyway.

Is that a joke?The longer you are Autralia the Worse TV Gets.In 29 Years I'v been watching the same 10 movies over and over again. Two most favourites in Australia are the Simpsons and the Bachelor.Then there's Cooking Shows and reality Shows,Then More Reality Shows.Foxtel is a Rip Off. The Uk Shows are 30 years old. The Adds are so long you forget what you have been watching.Then when You Do Get Interested 'The TV goes off NO SIGNAL FOR 10 minutes+And The Aussie's are obsessed with the Weather.That is probably counted as a programme, they have it on all the time, the same news is repeated for days on end.

+1

Personally, I find this is great though. Because it's so utterly shite here I'm happy to turn it off and do something else. Anything is better than watching garbage like "The Block", "MKR", "Masterchef", "Shark Tank", "The Voice", "The X Factor", "Dancing with the Stars" and all the other junk. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than spend an evening watching puerile crap like that. Even the sports coverage is pants - Channel 7 do a great job covering the AFL, but how many advert breaks can you squeeze into to a game?! Same with the cricket on 9. The England v Australia RWC match last weekend even had ad breaks when they were setting up for a lineout!

Has anyone else noticed how loud the backing music is on all these type of shows by the way? You can hardly hear what the people are saying half the time.

With you on this. Only been here 10 weeks but TV has hardly been on. It is as bad as everyone says it is but I did not come here to watch TV so finding it a blessing in disguise.

With you on this. Only been here 10 weeks but TV has hardly been on. It is as bad as everyone says it is but I did not come here to watch TV so finding it a blessing in disguise.

Just wait for summer. You'll hardly turn it on.

The great irony of all this though is that although Australia has some of the worst TV going, the average Aussie bogan feels the need to go and fork out two months of his annual wage on an IMAX sized 4K TV for his "good room". Watching the five feet high faces of wooden presenters with their unnaturally bright white teeth and botox must be terrifying. Channel 7 newsreaders are the worst - they make the Stepford Wives look normal.

The longer you are here the better Aussie TV becomes! I only watch Foxtel anyway.[/QU

Is that a joke?The longer you are Autralia the Worse TV Gets.In 29 Years I'v been watching the same 10 movies over and over again. Two most favourites in Australia are the Simpsons and the Bachelor.Then there's Cooking Shows and reality Shows,Then More Reality Shows.Foxtel is a Rip Off. The Uk Shows are 30 years old. The Adds are so long you forget what you have been watching.Then when You Do Get Interested 'The TV goes off NO SIGNAL FOR 10 minutes+And The Aussie's are obsessed with the Weather.That is probably counted as a programme, they have it on all the time, the same news is repeated for days on end.

Free to air TV is just that "free" so no licensing fee. Much of what the commercial channels show is poor and made worse by the no of ad breaks, but there is quality and you could record them or mute it during the adverts.

ABC and SBS have some good programmes.

I like Foxtel. Some UK shows are old classics like "Are You Being Served " but they also show the latest UK shows, eg last year "The Fall."

I like HBO shows and the EPL.

If you don't like the TV, do something else with your time.

Archived