Next step after 300 subclass visa

Danny842003

Hi I haven't been on here for a while but I've been in country since May settled in now with a job and enjoying living in the same country as my fiancé. We get married in about 2 weeks over the long weekend so looking forward to that.

Now I am trying to get a head start in gathering evidence etc for my next visa, I was under the impression I would be applying for a 309 visa but that says I need to be outside Australia when I apply then looked at the the 820 visa but that says it takes a year to process. My 300 subclass visa expires in December so whilst I'm not worried I would be deported I am confused about exactly what I should be applying for and would really appreciate some guidance.

You will be applying for the 820 visa from Australia, you will be granted a bridging visa A once you lodge your 820 application which you will go on to once the 300 visa expires. Once on BVA if you need to leave Australia at any time before your partner visa is granted you will need to apply for BVB before you leave to allow you to re-enter Australia. Not sure if your application will be processed faster since you already hold the PMV. Booklet 1 has the information you require for the evidence over the 5 areas.

Congratulations on on your wedding.

My experience (five years ago) was that once you have the 300 visa, subsequent ones are granted quickly (i.e. a few weeks). This seems to happen to some people but not others. And, yes, you apply for the 820 temporary partner visa and in two years time, you send in more documentation for the 801 permanent partner visa.

As others say, when you lodge your application, you will automatically get a Bridging Visa A which kicks in when (and not until) the 300 expires. You will also be able to apply immediately for Medicare (blue card).

Ok thanks for the replies. I guess its not a huge deal the only time I plan on leaving the country in the next year is on our honeymoon some time next year.

Just trying to clear up in my mind what the route is for further visas

300 subclass 9 months

Bridging Visa

820 visa 2 years (is this 2 years from application or grant?)

801 visa once I have this and have been in oz 4 years can apply for citizenship?

I think it's pretty deliberate. The Australian Government wants to discourage people from visiting Australia and then applying to stay - they want people to apply from their home country, and stay there till they get approved. So I'm afraid yes, it does take longer to apply onshore for a visa.

I haven't visited Australia and then decided to stay though? Thats not my situation at all. I was granted a visa to essentially move here with full work rights under the idea I would marry an Australian within 9 months.

I understand that they do have that wish with other visas but I don't think it applies in this case.

I haven't visited Australia and then decided to stay though? Thats not my situation at all. I was granted a visa to essentially move here with full work rights under the idea I would marry an Australian within 9 months.

I understand that they do have that wish with other visas but I don't think it applies in this case.

She didn't say it was your situation, but was commenting more generally on onshore vs offshore partner visas.