Do people work harder in Australia?

starlight7

To be fair,I don't think its that difficult to find work in either country to suit your needs tbh?I was working Mon-Fri 7am-3pm up until Jan this year.Loved those hours but my boss was an a******,so I quit! I now work days of 6am-6pm,and have 4 days off.My choice of course,had another job offer last Feb working 9am-3pm Mon-Fri,but I actually prefer to have 4 days off.Can get a lot more done on 4 days off than 2!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair,I don't think its that difficult to find work in either country to suit your needs tbh?I was working Mon-Fri 7am-3pm up until Jan this year.Loved those hours but my boss was an a******,so I quit! I now work days of 6am-6pm,and have 4 days off.My choice of course,had another job offer last Feb working 9am-3pm Mon-Fri,but I actually prefer to have 4 days off.Can get a lot more done on 4 days off than 2!

It's why I am amazed that I still see posts from people saying how excited they are to be going to Australia so they don't have to commute for an hour like they do here. Do people think in Australia everyone works next door to home ? My brother used to commute from Geelong to Melbourne every day along with 1000s of others. Wherever you are if you don't like how far from work you are either move closer or get a closer job, you don't need to go halfway around the world lol

As they say "You're the creator of your own reality"!One guy on WDU was whinging because he "had"to work 80 hrs per week.He chose to work 80 hrs a week,no one forced him!:laugh:I think on the update show,the guy and his family had moved to Sth Oz,and guess what?He found a job working 40 hrs per week?Yep he moved halfway round the world to find a job which was half the hours!:swoon:

You can sign a form in the UK to say u don't want work over 46 hrs . So he must of needed the money to be doing 80 hrs a week ! ! When my kids were little my husband worked until ten o'clock at night , then I would go do a night shift when he can in then Saturday and Sunday he would work 7am until 12pm and he studied at same time , we never took a penny from the government ever ! Then when he was qualified he earned great money ! Then things dramatically changed for us ! ! Then u get people saying higher earners should pay more tax ! Why should they pay any more than me ! I was a creator of my own reality by not doing what I supposed to of done when younger lol ! Why should let's say a brain surgeon pay more tax than someone who pushes trolleys for tesco ! ! :)

But why are people only be able to earn minimum wage , people who go get qualified for a job of their choice have put the hard yards in to Beable to have better working hours and pay like jacaranda said u r a creator of ya own reality ! Why should higher earners pay 45percent tax over 180k when they worked to get that job in the first place ! a brain surgeon will have a lot more worry about than a tesco trolley pusher ! Do u get me :)

But why are people only be able to earn minimum wage , people who go get qualified for a job of their choice have put the hard yards in to Beable to have better working hours and pay like jacaranda said u r a creator of ya own reality ! Why should higher earners pay 45percent tax over 180k when they worked to get that job in the first place ! a brain surgeon will have a lot more worry about than a tesco trolley pusher ! Do u get me :)

The brain surgeon may not have more worry Shelly, depends on their personality and whether they are a worrier. The Tesco trolley pusher might be worried sick about how they are going to pay the mortgage, the child care etc. If I was earning over 180K I would expect to and be happy to be paying 45% tax. The 45% doesn't come in till you hit 180K, it's 37% from 80k to 180. It's a nice country we live in because of the social services, the council guys that come round and clean the parks and beaches up. It all needs paying for and the well paid can afford it.

The brain surgeon may not have more worry Shelly, depends on their personality and whether they are a worrier. The Tesco trolley pusher might be worried sick about how they are going to pay the mortgage, the child care etc. If I was earning over 180K I would expect to and be happy to be paying 45% tax. The 45% doesn't come in till you hit 180K, it's 37% from 80k to 180. It's a nice country we live in because of the social services, the council guys that come round and clean the parks and beaches up. It all needs paying for and the well paid can afford it.

i understand what ya saying Paul I really do , but why bother get qualified if that's the case ! For a better future why bother ! :)

A higher earner is still bringing home more overall, even after higher taxes.It is appropriate and fair that higher earners pay more because they can afford to. I consider it a social responsibility. The job stress is entirely dependent upon the role but the likelihood is that a higher earner has more responsibility and therefore earnings commensurate with experience and accountability. Not always the case though! !

A higher earner is still bringing home more overall, even after higher taxes.It is appropriate and fair that higher earners pay more because they can afford to. I consider it a social responsibility. The job stress is entirely dependent upon the role but the likelihood is that a higher earner has more responsibility and therefore earnings commensurate with experience and accountability. Not always the case though! !

and they deserve to ! Let's put it like this I would rather be listening to my iPod pushing trolleys than operating on someone's brain !

And nd before someone says yours needs operating on I've heard it all before lol

and nd do u think I liked my husband working till ten at nigh and weekends too and me doing the night shift in a petrol station then staying up all day to look after my kids ! I created my own reality why do u think my husband studied until 3 in a morning and up at six for work for the fun of it ! Nope for a better future ! Why do parents want their kids do well at school to have a better standard of a future ! If u choose a future which is government funded no point complaining about the **** pay although I agree it's **** because you chose it ! Life is about choices but understanding the consequences that might go with it ! U create ya own reality ! And before anyone says its not the case for some kids well my husband walked around with holes in his shoes I had my clothes from jumble sales our parents were skint and we were both bought up on a council estate ! My husband had nothing given to him nothing and doesn't want nothing ! But I still know why he did what he did to give his family a better future !

It's why I am amazed that I still see posts from people saying how excited they are to be going to Australia so they don't have to commute for an hour like they do here. Do people think in Australia everyone works next door to home ? My brother used to commute from Geelong to Melbourne every day along with 1000s of others. Wherever you are if you don't like how far from work you are either move closer or get a closer job, you don't need to go halfway around the world lol

For me, I travel further to work, but because of the roads and flow of traffic it actually makes it less of a commute time wise than I had in the UK.

For me, I travel further to work, but because of the roads and flow of traffic it actually makes it less of a commute time wise than I had in the UK.

The point is though it is an individual thing. When I lived on the South side of Brisbane and worked in the North it was an absolute nightmare, often stop go the whole way. To go the same distance where we are now would take less than half the time.

Archived