Council Planning Permission

jacky boy

I can't comment on NSW but in WA it was very straight forward. The council had building guidelines and so long as the house met those planning permission as such was not needed - the plans were submitted by our builder and they asked for the glass in one window to be opaque instead of clear - we had a choice of complying or going for planning permission to build with clear glass and it wasn't worth the hassle.

The major builders know exactly how to present the plans to the council, if it's a self-build you're thinking of that could be trickier.

Planning regulations will vary from council to council and area to area. Here in SA we did a similar thing to Lady Rainicorn except we didn't get planning the first time as we wanted to remove a council tree and they wouldn't let us so we had to change the design of the house to leave the tree. Otherwise all was straightforward. However there are areas around Adelaide where the planning regulations are really strict, particularly in the hills areas, and planning permission can be more difficult to obtain in those areas.

As said above if you are using a major builder they will be familiar with the planning regulations and will know what is and is not likely to pass. If you are self building then you would need to get the planning regulations from your local council and ensure your house complies.

how much to build a house you reckon?

How long's a piece of string? Someone on here could probably give an approximate cost per square meter but this would vary depending on location and type of build. We paid about $250k nearly two years ago for a single story, 3 bed, 2 bathroom, 2 living areas, timber frame house 9km from Adelaide CBD but we had a lot of customisations and extras. We could have built a similar sized house for less than $200k if we had been happy with one straight from the plan with few extras. The landscaping was extra.

thx mate, consider the extras so the total bill would be about $300k more or less, that would mean considerably less than nearby house prices i reckon, so building DIY is cheaper than buying for sure, am i correct?

Depends on what you can get the land for. We paid about $250k for the land to put the house on and $40k for the landscaping meaning we spent about $540k all up. To buy something similar in the area we would have to pay about the same or we could buy an older house on a bigger block for less. Building our own definitely wasn't cheaper but it did mean we got the house we wanted without having to spend time and money on renovations.

The costs can be hard to establish up front. Builders give you a standard allowance for things like footings, this can increase considerably even if you have has a groundwork survey as they can find a variety of issues that inevitably cost extra!

standard build specs are usually pretty basic too and most people upgrade to some extent.

what you save on stamp duty can easily be spent on planning and other fees etc.

It will also depend on the area you build in, you would need to do your research on existing housing to know if building from scratch would be worth it for you.

We have built a home in the Adelaide hills, which went well. The land where we are now in Norwood is so expensive it is hardly worth it, larger chunks go to developers who split them down. Even an average plot with a run down home goes for around $700k and the home is often knocked down.

OK, blocks are getting smaller and smaller.

350m2 seems to be fairly normal around us. Even smaller if subdivided by a builder and built connecting or two story. We are less than 10km from the CBD and currently zoned for medium density housing (I think), and the high density areas have even more housing in even less space. The suburb just across from us though is in the hills area and subdivision isn't allowed. Can't afford that though.

Wow, that's tiny.

That's what I was thinking. It used to be that a house block had to be at least I think 600sq or could have been more than that. Our block in QLD was 1050Sq and was what was called a standard block as that was what was normal. Now a lot of people are dividing them in half and putting another house on them.

350m2 seems to be fairly normal around us. Even smaller if subdivided by a builder and built connecting or two story. We are less than 10km from the CBD and currently zoned for medium density housing (I think), and the high density areas have even more housing in even less space. The suburb just across from us though is in the hills area and subdivision isn't allowed. Can't afford that though.

I just can't imagine seeing 3 houses on the block we used to have. There would literally be no garden at all. Sign of the times I suppose.

When my Mums house sold last year (burbs of Adelaide)the estate agent told us before it sold,that whoever brought it (developer?)they would probably knock the house down and sub divide the block into two,then build two villa type houses.Walking around Mums old area,you could see it happening,and these houses were only built late 1960's too! Someone did buy the house,and kept it!

When my Mums house sold last year (burbs of Adelaide)the estate agent told us before it sold,that whoever brought it (developer?)they would probably knock the house down and sub divide the block into two,then build two villa type houses.Walking around Mums old area,you could see it happening,and these houses were only built late 1960's too! Someone did buy the house,and kept it!

When I heard of people building on 500sq blocks I couldn't believe it, half the size of our old block seemed insane. To be putting THREE houses on that size block is just amazing. It's ironic that in such a huge country building blocks are being squeezed smaller and smaller.

When I heard of people building on 500sq blocks I couldn't believe it, half the size of our old block seemed insane. To be putting THREE houses on that size block is just amazing. It's ironic that in such a huge country building blocks are being squeezed smaller and smaller.

How big is the block you are living on now? :wink:

That's what I was thinking. It used to be that a house block had to be at least I think 600sq or could have been more than that. Our block in QLD was 1050Sq and was what was called a standard block as that was what was normal. Now a lot of people are dividing them in half and putting another house on them.

Its just less than half of what we have, (774) even with a small 3 bed house and a granny flat, we dont have much excess outdoor space.

Im currently fencing in half the front yard to give us a bit more.

My answer possibly wasn't the one you were fishing for was it ? :wink:

No it wasn't and I forget that you are not in a city like Bristol. But you do say you can't imagine it that small, you are living in England man, the land of two up two down, many live on Victorian terraces and even in Suburbia a 3 bed semi with a small garden is not unusual.

Archived