Which area in Sydney?

HarrietE

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think OP needs to note that it is only the male posters (undoubtedly well meaning) that are recommending a stay in the red light districts and it is female posters that are generally suggesting that there are better options. I would implore female backpackers to put more weight on the advice of other females.

I think OP needs to note that it is only the male posters (undoubtedly well meaning) that are recommending a stay in the red light districts and it is female posters that are generally suggesting that there are better options. I would implore female backpackers to put more weight on the advice of other females.

I am travelling with my boyfriend so really it wouldn't matter much to me, I'm not worried about people in the area its more noise and how busy it is, wondering if it's better to stay somewhere a bit quieter. I am thinking of staying centrally for the first few nights to maybe a week and then heading to a beach resort, maybe Bondi or Coogee?

I am travelling with my boyfriend so really it wouldn't matter much to me, I'm not worried about people in the area its more noise and how busy it is, wondering if it's better to stay somewhere a bit quieter. I am thinking of staying centrally for the first few nights to maybe a week and then heading to a beach resort, maybe Bondi or Coogee?

It's a matter of personal preference but I like Coogee better. Bondi is a bit too popular for its own good, whereas Coogee has just as many restaurants and cafes, the beach is just as good and it's a bit cheaper.

I guess it depends what you're planning to do in Sydney. If you're just going to sightsee then I can see the point of starting out in town to see that area then moving out to the beach - if you're planning to work, then I'd suggest making straight for Coogee or Randwick so you can get settled quicker. It's still close enough to the city to do all the sightseeing you need in your spare time.

Good glad to hear that. But there are so many nice places to stay in Sydney, I just don't understand why you are not ruling out the unsavoury places off the bat! Go to the Rocks!

Are there any hostels on this one street or near by the alleys which you would avoid, im not bothered about the people looking for places to sleep, saying that.. im not really that bothered about prostitutes either but i guess if there is anywhere to avoid it would be this street?

The hostels all look fine to me. Much of a muchness really, lot's of backpackers hanging out at every one when I've been past. There are several on Victoria Street that look OK.

Don't really think there is one to avoid but I guess if there are reviews on-line it pays to go for the ones with the best reviews.

Have a good time.

The hostels all look fine to me. Much of a muchness really, lot's of backpackers hanging out at every one when I've been past. There are several on Victoria Street that look OK.

Don't really think there is one to avoid but I guess if there are reviews on-line it pays to go for the ones with the best reviews.

Have a good time.

Victoria Street, that's where they are isn't it! It's actually a quiet street, on the northern side of Willliam Street, especially as you get further down the road. I used to walk down there to Garden Island. There's a girls' school down the bottom too, one of two, the other in Darlinghurst, just to belie the image of Kings Cross as an area where families and children stay away!

I see the same groups of backpackers in Pitt Street, just north of Central where there are a couple of big hostels which used to be big hotels for rail travellers I think, CB private hotel and West End hotel, and it's the same on George Street near Wake Up and the YHA.

The only problem facing backpackers is whether they are going to meet any actual Australians, as they could spend their entire holiday hanging with other backpackers!

Is the area ok where wake up is?

Yes. George St is busy practically 24x7 now. You never know what might happen but I feel safer in crowds and nervous when I'm the only one on the street.

I'm 60 km away from Wake Up at my brothers place in Mt Annan, quiet, suburban, lovely to walk about, but I'd feel more frightened walking here after midnight than in Surry Hills because there would be few people about.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the help on this, I've booked Nate's Place Backpackers in Kings X for the first 5 nights and will go from there.

I Googled it and it's looks fine and nothing wrong with the location, walking distance to the CBD and Kings X. I've probably driven past it many times on my way back from one of the harbour beaches along New South Head Road, without noticing it.

I just had another look at the map, and after enlarging it, I know where it is, not far from the corner of Bourke Street, where I sometimes turn left and notice this restaurant called MissChu which I keep meaning to go to. It would probably take me about 30 minutes to walk there from my home in Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills. I did used to walk it regularly when I worked at Garden Island Dockyard.

I Googled it and it's looks fine and nothing wrong with the location, walking distance to the CBD and Kings X. I've probably driven past it many times on my way back from one of the harbour beaches along New South Head Road, without noticing it.

I just had another look at the map, and after enlarging it, I know where it is, not far from the corner of Bourke Street, where I sometimes turn left and notice this restaurant called MissChu which I keep meaning to go to. It would probably take me about 30 minutes to walk there from my home in Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills. I did used to walk it regularly when I worked at Garden Island Dockyard.

Wondering if you can advise MaryRose, I will be opening a commonwealth bank account today and when you open it you have to say which branch you will go to to verify the accounts. From staying at Nate's Place, which branch would you say is easiest/best for me to go to to do this.

Wondering if you can advise MaryRose, I will be opening a commonwealth bank account today and when you open it you have to say which branch you will go to to verify the accounts. From staying at Nate's Place, which branch would you say is easiest/best for me to go to to do this.

I'm using my phone now, harder than desktop, but the branch in CBD, on cnr of Park and Castlereagh Sts is probably closest, though there is a branch at 28 Macleay St, Potts Point, too. Google them both. Does not matter which u use.

With the help of the wonders of Google and the internet, I can confirm that the Comm Bank branch in the City is closer to Nate's Place! This is walking but you can get a no 325 bus from William Street to Castlereagh Street if you prefer to do that.

From 141 William St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

To Park St & Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000

• E0+Sjw5sSh7FJdP8CcGOABt4EHlM7D0KF6KaeRoAwdDQpOY+Adft2vpLH+lYAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
  • AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
  • HnWgeGeFqjOmhsWgYlENiM2h+ZVQzSWJVrjgBQDc1CtRS+KRywAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
  • 8usVkhxAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,kmeqyfTIHXZIpOr66pa10NG5eMEtkZB5tmkhjlctj0CtH72n9Wbexj4Un8yJT8o8CqPsrfvBKWnUNNK-pX4avI5LKqs4G3GI-vHm-B2fFvokkFzL6XnUuk30LT1W8cEAcCZJRjr-03uPFKu9sagyyDU,hEBC-DtTS5vVGDagwqfEAkJ69Y8ZVOn5TfXfrPHSXeOcMr9pQkw7nZfdnt4vSvytNowWg6Qk0ztMQaIb-MboE0u0dsB1aqS5Znyh8Y2T4MHUs-0KKCo-QZGya5vq0cAseKyTYBeyFuKyMkOF_wUlwyvkTw1Ki9MKQrtwQXAaCsXRczJyO62zoCzePCwvPoTT9Gap1TzIWzyQ6eblOBVRAKG0RFcA7a9ZD-6OY-w_4zXrIn2bCn23XZ9yw_LmnodagneUtY9rGHY1xYcJp9HIsLvRmyQET8_Xbl1xArFy0GAiHQfjPfDpv9aU4MUBntrd-n4fDRaARGmqCtNvql5zp_ubscV71SMipUQHOC74uO1HlxGZr4Cp8htxZptcb8P_WhMHn0jp8DcOBvSHLr2r9yPc66jT9MevuVEh-N3CJYmb&scale=1&h=200&w=555

12 min (850.0 m) via William St and Park St

Directions

141 William St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

Head west on William St toward Bourke St

550 m

Continue onto Park St

300 m

Park St & Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000

These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

From 28 Macleay St, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

To Nate's Place Backpackers, 141 William Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

Closed nowSee opening hours

• E0+Sjw5sSh7FJdP8CcGOABt4EHlM7D0KF6KaeRoAwdDQpOY+Adft2vpLH+lYAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
  • AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
  • HnWgeGeFqjOmhsWgYlENiM2h+ZVQzSWJVrjgBQDc1CtRS+KRywAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
  • 8usVkhxAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,nIijGgNcI-3mH1diYe7NzAzhiRT_WLUaJc1XZ9LoHQl63AAE6JIEfOnbrJjv3ohQvswMo7p6JIwuDPkp_C0sxkWuuxOmiqsiQ04vnBIMjeWMiQFz3yui0BohDI49-R5qZNIGYcPAv8NTLhXtZaVnljY,bXzQYQff2xT6p1y_5bexYhD0Hl_Zjo9tGaYrUbW3JR81kvZw3VkpPtNDUKQ4XPm4awaWWszbPn1wbw9r0AwiABUoeGx7jwLpcZQUpVYOlB1-3DKCoXS-1P1PC9klQu34I0lM7PToIjcJZaCMlHVIYyqGfGmbrfmQux29md_txF2JrpH9S40KRlZDdydpT9IMjpQ7BkXM_FVg1rkfjtiJfMVn7dCsqP81mo0PF8thg5y-S7REgjz8zfVCz87GuFeBp2d434b3KWNigUc73SPe-Kct6ss7bWPsUVKCTKMdEHaFSHWZTaLe3_0nav2BXgvRjOA2zECTiJ1p8WChlVduws-qu5pMIlYf7iMKBi5x31c26DHqYMKBDuOWlup3K4zsY4EV0O9NtYOditMPLtSHgfDX9tnfQNXaxFjqK3cQ&scale=1&h=200&w=555

14 min (1.1 km) via Macleay St, Darlinghurst Rd and William St

Directions

28 Macleay St, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

Head south on Macleay St toward Manning St

350 m

Continue onto Darlinghurst Rd

350 m

Slight right to stay on Darlinghurst Rd

41 m

Turn right onto William StDestination will be on the left

350 m

Nate's Place Backpackers, 141 William Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

15 min (1.2 km) via William St

28 Macleay St, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

Head south on Macleay St toward Manning St

260 m

Turn right onto Orwell St

200 m

Turn left onto Victoria St

230 m

Turn right toward Brougham St

71 m

Turn left onto Brougham St

150 m

Turn right onto William StDestination will be on the left

290 m

Nate's Place Backpackers, 141 William Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

19 min (1.4 km) via Brougham S

I was originally going to go with nates

Think of it as two right decisions Stacey. Both are in good locations close to the city. Wake Up is closer to Central where all the trains and most of the buses converge. But Kings X is only three stops on the train to Central.

Assuming they are both as good as the other, both of you win.

I went with wake up just because of the package I booked and then the girls were booking another week in there so I just decided to be a sheep rather than move hostels. Hopefully after the 2 weeks I'll have a job and a flat share

You dont need to put targets like that upon yourself! I took three months to establish myself, in my first job, and other things fell into place, not always according to how I would have liked.

What day are you arriving again?

I am currently looking to book a hostel for 2 people in Sydney at the end of October,

Well you had better get a wiggle on............many of the nicer places will be fully booked or filling up fast by now.

I suggest trying the YHA in The Rocks: 110 Cumberland Street, The Rocks, Sydney: https://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-harbour/

Otherwise maybe try Glebe or Potts Point / Elizabeth Bay, as these are still near the action, but quieter locations than the CBD city or Kings Cross:

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/travel/features/11932/ten-best-hostels-in-sydney

Depends what you want. Personally I would avoid Manly, as the hostels there have a reputation of heavy drinking and partying. But if you like that 24/7 then it would be the perfect place for you.