Which area in Sydney?

HarrietE

I am currently looking to book a hostel for 2 people in Sydney at the end of October, I am thinking of booking the first 5 nights and then will probably book more once I'm there. We will be looking to pick up work in Sydney too while we are there so want somewhere that is convenient. I wondered which areas are best to stay in?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean in Sydney CBD, it really is not that big, you can walk from one end to the other in no time. So I would just look at hostels, prices and pick one you like to be honest. I guess if I were picking one, I believe there is one at the Rocks which would be a nice location.

I've been told by a lot of people to try to avoid Kings X if possible.. and to be honest, it does sound a bit much! ... I've heard a few people stay somewhere called Gleebe? I think it was.. is that correct? And if so could anyone advise what its like/is it close to places etc? I don't want to end up miles away from everything

I've been told by a lot of people to try to avoid Kings X if possible.. and to be honest, it does sound a bit much! ... I've heard a few people stay somewhere called Gleebe? I think it was.. is that correct? And if so could anyone advise what its like/is it close to places etc? I don't want to end up miles away from everything

I would avoid Kings Cross, red light district, not nice for a young girl alone. Glebe is nice area, I think it would suit me nicely as a 45 year old but I would have thought somewhere a bit more central for a young WHV holder.

Kings Cross is not a quiet suburb. Lol.

My partner was propositioned by a prostitute the minute we left the station! It's a very seedy main street in my opinion.

Potts Point the next suburb much better.

That's not surprising since King's Cross is the red light district of Sydney. For women on their own, I wouldn't recommend Potts Point either - the activities at the Cross overflow down there a bit too much for my taste.

Glebe is nice, but have you thought about beach suburbs? Coogee/Randwick area is great, lots of cafes to find work, easy to get to the city too. Bondi can be a bit rough and more of a trek to town, plus it's so popular you might have trouble getting in.

Edited by Marisawright

I'm staying in YHA Railway Square for the first two weeks. Mainly because I've got a membership and it's clean, got good reviews and was only $30 more than Jackaroo(My second choice). It's also in a good location. Bounce and Wake up looked really good too, althoug I did find Bounce slightly out of my price range- but maybe that was just for the dates I was looking for. I've also booked a hotel for the first two nights to help with the Jetlag. I don't want to meet people and be grumpy- not a very good first impression haha :)

I stayed away from wake up etc as I felt like it was all party party!! And I'm not really after being kept up all night on a Friday night after a 24 hour flights lol x

this is another thing I'm worried about but I know the girls in my room. I don't know wether that's a good thing or not because it could get awkward if I get grumpy lol. Only one way to find out!

Ignore them. There's nothing wrong with staying there, and if you were in Potts Point, you would still be walking through Kings Cross to get there. I spent twelve years walking to and from work at Garden Island Dockyard and I went through 'The Cross' at all times of the day and night. If anything, judging by press reports, since the NSW government introduced the new 'Lock Out' laws, fewer people are heading for Kings Cross for nights out, and some nightspots have closed.

Thousands of people live both in Kings Cross and adjacent suburbs, Elizabeth Bay, Potts Point, Darlinghurst, Woolloomooloo, and many of them get the train to and from Kings Cross. I went for a drive around those 'burbs the other week. At one time I planned to live there so I could walk to work, and I looked at many appartments. In the end I bought in Surry Hills.

As for the best hostels, well, I stayed once at the YHA by Central station and that was excellent. There are two YHA hostels at Central railway, plus numerous other ones, the one Stacey is booked into - Wake Up? I went into the foyer for a look around and it seems fine. The YHA one I stayed at is almost next door, on the corner of Pitt St and I think Rawson Place. Bounce on Chalmers St on the other side of Central - 'my' side - has a good name too.

If you are wanting abit quieter maybe try Potts point? As Kings X is busy busy I got told

Almost the same place Alix. We stay at the Holiday Inn Potts Point when we are over in Sydney on work trips. It's right over the Kings Cross railway station and opposite the Coca Cola sign. I think they only put it down as being Potts Point because Kings Cross gets some bad press.

Either would be a good choice for hostels though, loads of them around and it's a decent place to stay. Lot's of backpackers work in the restaurants and pubs around there.

Good luck, have a good time.

As for it being a dodgy area that was true about 10 years ago. Since then loads of money has been spent and even the Kings Cross Hotel, which used to be a seedy joint, is now yuppy heaven. They spent loads on it and it's a great spot to get up on the balcony with a beer and watch the world go by. You still see the whole gamut in the Cross from really rich to down and out. A few still sleep under the railway arches between Woolloomoolloo and the Cross. They are only looking for a place to sleep and don't cause any problems though. I walk back that way a lot after a night out in Woolloomooloo. Some good pubs and food round there.

Another good pub that used to be really seedy is the old Bayswater Hotel, on Bayswater Road. Does great pizzas, in a nice spot and has a nice feeling to it. Have to save up if your a backpacker but you don't HAVE to get smashed every night.:wink:

What used to be a bad area is now really only one street and a few small alleys. You can easily avoid it but I've never felt threatened walking that way and it's an adventure your after isn't it?:cool:

Edited by Paul1Perth

Almost the same place Alix. We stay at the Holiday Inn Potts Point when we are over in Sydney on work trips. It's right over the Kings Cross railway station and opposite the Coca Cola sign. I think they only put it down as being Potts Point because Kings Cross gets some bad press.

Either would be a good choice for hostels though, loads of them around and it's a decent place to stay. Lot's of backpackers work in the restaurants and pubs around there.

Good luck, have a good time.

There is a hotel in Hants called "The Beaulieu Hotel", but it is actually at Beaulieu Road Station, three miles from the village of Beaulieu, which might be a shock to anyone dreaming of a pleasant stroll thru the village from their hotel.

Similarly. Someone who actually wanted to be in Potts Pt might be miffed to find they have to walk all the way thru the X and down Mcleay St/Wlyde Ave, and worse the other way up hill?

What used to be a bad area is now really only one street and a few small alleys. You can easily avoid it but I've never felt threatened walking that way and it's an adventure your after isn't it?:cool:

Are there any hostels on this one street or near by the alleys which you would avoid, im not bothered about the people looking for places to sleep, saying that.. im not really that bothered about prostitutes either but i guess if there is anywhere to avoid it would be this street?

Most of the prostitutes work in brothels now. I've not walked through Kings Cross for a while. Maybe I'll do it tonight, come to think of it. Three stops on the train from Central, and I can't remember the last time I walked around there. I imagine there may still be the odd 'street-walker' but brothels are legal in NSW now.

Here in Surry Hills, they are everywhere. I pass two or three on my way down to the Strawberry Hills hotel, and there is a transvestite brothel above a jazz club (how Bohemian is that?) just down the lane from my flat. The point is, you rarely see the girls themselves, and the customers hardly draw attention to themselves. I would rather live next to a brothel than a rowdy pub or takeaway cafe, and walking home late at night, I actually find it comforting that there are businesses still open.

And as I said before, since the new 'Lock Out' laws have been introduced, Kings Cross is quieter. In any case, I would feel safer walking through there late at night when there are always lots of people about, than out in the 'burbs which are like graveyards, especially late at night.

Anyway, now the 'seed has been sown' I'm going to get the train up to the Cross, take a walk up and own the road, maybe have a beer. Did I read about 'The Goldfish Bowl' closing so they can build appartments, a common fate now for pubs?

[h=3]New alcohol laws now in place - NSW Government[/h]www.nsw.gov.au/newlaws

Lock outs and last drinks: 1.30am lockouts and 3am last drinks at hotels, ... Venues currently licensed to stay open after 3am can do so without alcohol service. ... Free buses from Kings Cross to the CBD connect with existing NightRide ... NSW Police and inspectors will be out ensuring compliance with the new measures.

[h=3]Hugo's Lounge in Sydney's Kings Cross forced to close after ...[/h]www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07...kings-cross...lockout-laws/6659340

Jul 29, 2015 - Photo: Hugo's Lounge in Kings Cross will close after a loss of 60 per cent of revenue which they say resulted from the lockout laws. (Facebook: ...

[h=3]The new Kings Cross: lockout laws send revellers to ...[/h]www.smh.com.au/.../newtown-gets-busy-as-kings-cross-empties-20150619...

Jun 21, 2015 - Violence in the Kings Cross area decreased by 31 per cent since the introduction of the lockout laws, with 283 attacks in Potts Point and ...

[h=3]Kings Cross businesses seek compensation for impact of ...[/h]www.smh.com.au/.../kings-cross-businesses-seek-compensation-for-impact-...

Aug 7, 2015 - The owner of Hugo's in Kings Cross has promised a "Mabo-like" battle to the ... their support for a class action lawsuit against the state of NSW after its raft of 34 ... A review of the lockout laws will commence in February 2016.".

[h=3]REPORT: Hugo's in Kings Cross is closing, crushed by ...[/h]www.businessinsider.com.au/report-hugos-in-kings-cross-is-closing-crushe...

Jul 30, 2015 - Hugo's Lounge in Kings Cross, a long-time cornerstone of Sydney ... set to shut after a collapse in business induced by the state lockout laws ...

[h=3]Kings Cross clubs consider class action over lock-out laws[/h]2Q==

kings
-
cross
-clubs-consid...

King's Cross
businesses and clubs are considering class action and seeking compensation for their losses ...

[h=3]Kings Cross venues to launch class action over lockout laws ...[/h]gaynewsnetwork.com.au/.../kings-cross-venues-to-launch-class-action-ov...

Aug 6, 2015 - Kings Cross venues to launch class action over lockout laws ... Amongst the venues to close since the lockouts were introduced are The Village ..

Are there any hostels on this one street or near by the alleys which you would avoid, im not bothered about the people looking for places to sleep, saying that.. im not really that bothered about prostitutes either but i guess if there is anywhere to avoid it would be this street?

I think you're focussing on the wrong thing. Even if you avoid hostels that are down the wrong alley, you still have to walk through the streets around it to get to places. MaryRose and Paul are right, King's Cross is really not that frightening most of the time - but they're both men so it's a bit different for them.

I used to work in an office in Potts Point - in Tusculum Street which is a lovely genteel looking street. But you should've seen the syringes littered down the alleyway at the side of the property. Knowing that, when I had to work late I used to practically run through Potts Point until I got to the bright lights of the Cross!

I'm still curious why you feel a city hostel is more desirable than a beach one?